Maiden name issues!

guenevere01

Hey, any other married ladies (or anyone else!) have trouble with their name on the transcript being different from the one on the application? Most schools ask a question like "by what other names have you been known in this life or past lives" (or something similar), but that doesn't seem to have forestalled any confusion - both Fordham and Cornell couldn't locate my transcripts until I reminded them of my maiden name! In fact, I have yet to hear back from Fordham about the lost transcript, and since my undergrad school charges $10 a pop for them, I'm really hoping they find it!!!

Thanks for the post. UW is still missing the transcripts from the first two schools I attended. These were both under my maiden name, so I emailed the admissions lady and asked her to look under my maiden name. I honestly wouldn't have thought of that without this post.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

i am the rare case of a male applicant whose last name has been changed. my undergrad ts are under my old name. i simply appended a cover letter to my application, noting the change, and alerting the school to be on the lookout for transcripts under my old name. i never had a problem. i believe they are pretty familiar with this issue, and should be fairly competent in dealing with it.

i am the rare case of a male applicant whose last name has been changed. my undergrad ts are under my old name. i simply appended a cover letter to my application, noting the change, and alerting the school to be on the lookout for transcripts under my old name. i never had a problem. i believe they are pretty familiar with this issue, and should be fairly competent in dealing with it.

You would think, but both of us on this thread had filled our maiden names out on the part of the online app that asks for previous names.

You would think, but both of us on this thread had filled our maiden names out on the part of the online app that asks for previous names.

Yup, me too. And the lady at UW responded to say that the missing transcripts had, in fact, been filed under my maiden name... :?

hmm...the fact that a guy w/a changed name had no issues makes even stronger a case for some underhanded anti-feminist academic movement. :evil:

**I don't really think that, it is just the lawyer in me, lol. I'm just glad someone was looking out for me and found mine!

hmm...the fact that a guy w/a changed name had no issues makes even stronger a case for some underhanded anti-feminist academic movement. :evil:

hahhah... in all seriousness though, i am a bit OCD when it comes to these things, so perhaps my staying on top of it helped avoid any problems. i do think a cover letter outlining any "quirks" in one's app. helps as well, but obviously it's too late for that now. i have however found that there is ALWAYS a person in the grad office in charge of these things -- usually this person, while a bit beleaguered this time of year, is pretty gracious about trouble-shooting -- this can cut through miles of red tape. good luck finding them.

I think you were probably more on top of it because it was an unusual situation. You would think maiden name issues would be common...unless they just haven't yet become used to women applying ;)

also, you sent in a paper app I gather? we were all online I think...

i did some of both. in every case, however, i also sent a snail-mail package, with said letter on top -- almost always there is some extra material not accounted for in the online app, though this probably varies depending on discipline.

i will say that it's certainly not out of line to contact the appropriate person in the grad office; some on this forum have fretted in the past that "bothering" the person will somehow affect their application. people, it's their job! assuming you don't go overboard, they will be happy to help you (hopefully). later, if you do get in and decide to attend that school, write this person a nice note of thanks. they will most likely also be involved with passing out fellowship checks, coordinating travel money, etc., so it pays to make friends.

Fordham just emailed to say they found my transcript under the maiden name - phew! Surely by now female applicants are the norm, at least in the Humanities - I wonder if it's more that they're not used to married women applying? I noticed the majority of people who took the poll on relationship status aren't married.

• 10 months later...

Oh crap. Thanks, Santa, for the bad marriage that keeps on giving.

I hadn't thought to follow-up on this. The schools that are complete didn't seem to have any problems. One, my maiden name is my middle name post-marriage. Maybe that helped? I also list all names on every piece of everything I send schools: every page of the SOP, writing sample, etc. Also, with a first name like mine i think a last name is kind of superfluous, and no i'm not sharing. :D

I will, however, check on it after the holidays. Thanks guys. I was almost in danger of relaxing!

Also, with a first name like mine i think a last name is kind of superfluous, and no i'm not sharing. :D

I have a pretty much one-of-a-kind first name...no, really, and it still didn't matter.

Oh crap. Thanks, Santa, for the bad marriage that keeps on giving.

I hadn't thought to follow-up on this. The schools that are complete didn't seem to have any problems. One, my maiden name is my middle name post-marriage. Maybe that helped? I also list all names on every piece of everything I send schools: every page of the SOP, writing sample, etc. Also, with a first name like mine i think a last name is kind of superfluous, and no i'm not sharing. :D

I will, however, check on it after the holidays. Thanks guys. I was almost in danger of relaxing!

This is me too. I think it does help people make the connection.