New TRIP Rankings for IR Masters Programs

Mal83

Came across this today...Not that everyone will agree, but I feel like it's at least one way of answering that pesky question about IR school rankings. I would say that this is without a doubt the list of schools you want to choose from for anything IR.

http://www.foreignpo...ograms?page=0,0

But whether you agree or not with the list, the tuition and program size for each school makes for a nice touch...easy to compare.

Edited by Mal83

Great find! A little surprised about Chicago making the top 10, and not Yale. Yale provides a greater flexibility in my opinion and with their renewed emphasis towards policy, a definite omission.

I can't disagree with any other however.

Great find! A little surprised about Chicago making the top 10, and not Yale. Yale provides a greater flexibility in my opinion and with their renewed emphasis towards policy, a definite omission.

Since the previous rankings in 2009 had Yale in 12th, I'm assuming it similarly narrowly missed the top 10.

Does anyone know if they have the full ranking (i.e. in tabular format that doesn't allure readers with pretty pictures) yet, like they did in past years?

Since the previous rankings in 2009 had Yale in 12th, I'm assuming it similarly narrowly missed the top 10.

Does anyone know if they have the full ranking (i.e. in tabular format that doesn't allure readers with pretty pictures) yet, like they did in past years?

I agree but this was prior to some of the major changes they have made.

Q54: What are the five best masters programs in the world for a

student who wants to pursue a policy career in international

relations?

1 Georgetown University 69%

2 Johns Hopkins University 60%

3 Harvard University 57%

4 Princeton University 44%

5 Tufts University 41%

Here's the next survey question too, which I found pretty interesting:

Q55: What are the ten best colleges or universities in the US for

undergraduate students to study international relations?

1 Harvard University 58%

2 Princeton University 53%

3 Stanford University 39%

4 Columbia University 34%

5 Georgetown University 33%

6 Yale University 28%

7 University of Chicago 21%

8 Dartmouth College 15%

9 Washington University in St. Louis 13%

10 American University 11%

I wouldn't say it's a snub or anything, since the survey asked IR scholars to list five of the best MA programs. Yale's program is tiny and very, very new compared to the rest of its competitors, so it's not a huge surprise that these scholars don't immediately associate it with more established programs. Not saying Yale isn't good at all, just saying there are other more established names/alumni networks.

Edited by hgd12

I wouldn't say it's a snub or anything, since the survey asked IR scholars to list five of the best MA programs. Yale's program is tiny and very, very new compared to the rest of its competitors, so it's not a huge surprise that these scholars don't immediately associate it with more established programs. Not saying Yale isn't good at all, just saying there are other more established names/alumni networks.

I think another part of the issue is the question asked: "What are the five best masters programs in the world for a student who wants to pursue a policy career in international relations".

It's my understanding (based on some reading and what my professors have told me), Yale has a great academic reputation but is less policy oriented than the other schools. So I think if the question was asked about academic careers, it would be ranked among the first. Just my 2 cents.