Smith Early Decision, anyone?

MissH

Anyone else applying early? Provided all is in, I am. I have wanted to go to Smith School for Social Work since I was a teenager, so I am flipping out a little at the fact I could know this time next month if I'm going there.

I did! It is the only program I am applying to (at least as of right now), and I really hope I get in. I am really excited by how quickly we find out too, now I just need to stop thinking about it for the next month.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else applying early? Provided all is in, I am. I have wanted to go to Smith School for Social Work since I was a teenager, so I am flipping out a little at the fact I could know this time next month if I'm going there.

I have an interview via phone on Monday. Anyone else?

I was deferred today and am going to interview with a faculty member next week. How was your interview? What kinds of things did you talk about?

Mine was very honed to my application. She had picked some specific things I said in my essay about my experience. We then discussed why smith and why I wanted to be an msw. I pulled in some things alums/current students told me.

I will back tonight to report on what/if I heard.

MissH, I'm sorry about Smith. :( What is your second choice?

I applied (not early decision though) too, but I just have this incredibly strong feeling I won't get in (that's not intended as self deprecation - I do think I have a decent shot at a couple of the schools I applied to, but Smith is more of my "reach" school). Well, on the bright side - wherever you go will be more exciting than Northampton! I grew up there, it's extremely over-rated.

MissH, I'm sorry about Smith. :( What is your second choice?

I applied (not early decision though) too, but I just have this incredibly strong feeling I won't get in (that's not intended as self deprecation - I do think I have a decent shot at a couple of the schools I applied to, but Smith is more of my "reach" school). Well, on the bright side - wherever you go will be more exciting than Northampton! I grew up there, it's extremely over-rated.

Simmons, who already let me into their program:)! I had been looking forward to going back to Northampton (I went to Smith undergrad), but now I'm more excited about the fact that I most likely will be staying in Boston.

Congrats on Simmons - it's perfect that it's your next choice and that you're in! I didn't realize you'd gone to Smith for undergrad - Sorry to have badmouthed Noho, haha. I think it would be the type of place I would've liked, had I not gotten sick of it living there my whole life. You definitely have the advantage of having more to do in Boston though! I imagine that no matter where you end up, the whole process (learning you are going to go to school x, live in City Y - just starting the next chapter of your life!) is really fun and exciting.

sorry about it, MissH.

I applied for Smith ED last year and was rejected. The admission said I need more experience.

So this year I got more experience and applied again. And I just know I've got accepted. btw I was accepted last year by Simmons and NYU. But I really love the block plan Smith's program provides so I decided to reapply this year.

I haven't been to Northampton but I've heard a lot that it is a very beautiful and liberal and stylish place. So @Katiemk, don't break my dream...what does "over-rated" mean...haha.

wish everyone dream school/program

Oh, don't worry! It definitley is beautiful and liberal and stylish...it's just that I lived there for 20+ years and after awhile I started to feel suffocated. It's a small town, and everyone refers to it as "the Northampton bubble" or the "happy valley bubble". It's not a bad thing - like I said, if I had moved here in my 20's, I would've loved it. Everyone holds similar values and tend to be very tolerant and accepting and peaceful. The biggest things that got to me were 1) it is relatively small. You can only do the same things over and over again throughout your childhood and adult life before you start to crave more, and it's also a bit of a drive to get anywhere else. (of course, now I live in the Berkshires where it's even worse, haha, but that's a whole other story), and 2)it's been getting increasingly expensive to do stuff there. However, if I was just discovering the town now and it wasn't worn out to me, I would love it - there are so many unique little stores and shops and restaurants and cafes (Try Cafe Evolution in Florence - a vegan cafe with the best damn desserts in town!), and the people you will meet are open minded and funky. From what I gathered working downtown and meeting a lot of smithies, they have a supportive, peaceful, funky, awesome culture there too. Not to mention the campus is f'ing beautiful!! I had a college class (not through Smith) that met in one of their classrooms, and the campus and classrooms were just great.

sorry about it, MissH.

I applied for Smith ED last year and was rejected. The admission said I need more experience.

So this year I got more experience and applied again. And I just know I've got accepted. btw I was accepted last year by Simmons and NYU. But I really love the block plan Smith's program provides so I decided to reapply this year.

I haven't been to Northampton but I've heard a lot that it is a very beautiful and liberal and stylish place. So @Katiemk, don't break my dream...what does "over-rated" mean...haha.

wish everyone dream school/program

Congrats!

Thanks Katie. I can understand your decision to leave hometown and live somewhere else since I have been growing up in a small (but beautiful) town too. Thanks for your advice. I believe there are a lot for me to explore in Northampton (and Western Mass)

MissH, having Simmon's offer in hand is great. I have made research before and I know Simmons has a good reputation among the SWers and institutions in the Boston area. It offers a very good clinical career path.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I may be eating my words about Noho...I just got my acceptance letter, and I'm really shocked, but so friggin excited! :) I *am* tired of being in/around Noho, but -- Smith has a seriously incredible program, and I'm not going to choose my school based on where it's located. On the plus side, it would be an easy transition, geographically...

Until now, I was really 99.9% positive I wasn't going to get in, and Denver was my first choice. Now that I have the option, I'm finding it really tough to make a decision...!! (I'm not even considering the other two I applied two anymore). Smith was my first choice at the beginning of my application cycle, then it began flip flopping with Denver. How do I choose?! They both have things I want, and don't want...