might be overthinking this, but...is 1/6 of a page on research interests too short? (1 pg limit for total)

Yup, it's that point where I start to overanalyze every aspect of my SOP. Right now I've got:

1/6 page on why I want my PHD/why I like my major

1/6 page on extraneous circumstances (paying for college myself)

1/6 page on relevant classes

1/6 page on my first research experience

1/6 page on my second research experience

1/6 page on professors I'm interested in researching with/research topics I want to pursue

Should research interests/professors I want to work with be emphasized more strongly in my SOP? I've cut down everything else as much as possible, but it's tough going. Thanks!

I could probably cut it down a bit, but I do want to at least mention that I worked 20-30 hours a week....that would give me maybe 3 or 4 more lines at best though. I feel like from what I've read, it's usually a little bit on personal stuff, then about equal parts previous experiences (both coursework and research) and research interests.

1/6 page on extraneous circumstances (paying for college myself) .... do you need this bit?

I think that is important especially if you kicked ass in your degree. It just shows you went the extra mile and did really well when other people probably didnt have to work

That does sound a bit out of balance to me. I'd devote at least twice as long as you currently are to fit and research interests. Those are the two most important things that adcoms look for in SOPs, which may not be found elsewhere in the application. I'm not sure what's in your "why I want my PHD/why I like my major" but that's one place to cut (anything general is useless, assume everyone in your field loves FIELD; anectodes about how you discovered your field are also not going to get you into grad school. Everyone has a story and the quesiton is what you do once you decide you like the field, not how it happened). Relevant coursework and the extreneous circumstances are also places to cut a bit. Not sure what you say about courses but it should be something beyond what can be found in your transcript, if you say anything at all. So - more current and future interests and school-specific details, less past and generalities.

Edited by fuzzylogician

Honestly, I wouldnt think it important to mention that you worked your way through college unless the work experience was relevant to your field or you're explaining away some deficiency- low GPA, lack of reach experience, etc.

But that's just what I've seen- all my peers worked their way through undergrad, and I don't think any of us mentioned it. With only a page, you want to focus on the things that are the most relevant to your proposed degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Seconded on the cutesy anecdote on why you got into Field X (if you have that) - it's totally not necessary. Also, you can see what parts of relevant coursework you can relegate to your CV. I feel like mine was 1/4 Why I Like Fields X and Y, 1/4 Why I Want To Transfer Here, and 1/2 Fit/Professors I want to work with/etc.

If you kicked butt in your program, then mention that you worked 20-30hrs a week in your CV. If you didn't do so well (or don't have as much research experience / whatever), then I'd say mention the heavy work schedule as an explanation, but don't go into ridiculous detail. It doesn't have to be more than a passing mention. just imho :)