OGS Status Update Anyone?

tomj

To those who were offered the award, after accepting (online), is there anything else that we need to do? Do we need to wait for a paper copy and take that to our grad dept? For the life of me, I can't remember how this part works...even though I went through this process not too long ago!

Good luck to everyone else. And for the waitlisters... a little sprinkling of optimism....I was once one of those mythical creatures that went from 'waitlisted' to 'successful applicant' a few years back...so it is possible! I don't think I knew the results until June though.

To those who were offered the award, after accepting (online), is there anything else that we need to do? Do we need to wait for a paper copy and take that to our grad dept? For the life of me, I can't remember how this part works...even though I went through this process not too long ago!

Good luck to everyone else. And for the waitlisters... a little sprinkling of optimism....I was once one of those mythical creatures that went from 'waitlisted' to 'successful applicant' a few years back...so it is possible! I don't think I knew the results until June though.

Nope. After accepting online, there is nothing else to do. You'll receive the first cheque in late September.

I think you should probably inform your grad department! In case they don't know - the lady in charge of our financial stuff didn't seem to have that info.

Does the money get transferred onto our bank account (like OSAP) or does it go directly to the university to pay for tuition? I vaguely remember it saying something like that on the website. Thanks for the help!

They say:

"It is important to realize that the ministry does not pay the scholarship directly to you. The ministry forwards its portion of the scholarship to your university and your university includes its portion and pays you using its standard payment methods. Please contact the Graduate Studies Office at your university for details, especially any documentation or proof of identification that may be required."

I got the OGS last year (and declined it this year so hopefully it will go to a wait-lister!). Our graduate program secretary asked us to inform her ASAP because our school has a policy that you cannot be eligible for internal awards unless you apply to all the external ones (NSERC, OGS). So, it's good to tell them right away (good or bad) so that they can start nominating and putting together award applications to your school's internal awards. In addition, the OGS result affects your financial package so you probably want to get the info to them sooner rather than later!

I know this is a little off topic based on the questions here, but do any of you know if you're eligible to apply for OGS for a second master's program? I distinctly remember SSHRC emphasizing it had to be your first program at any level, but I can't remember if OGS says the same. I need to complete another master's program after this one in order to enter the field I want, so I'm curious if I have any shot at funding.

I know this is a little off topic based on the questions here, but do any of you know if you're eligible to apply for OGS for a second master's program? I distinctly remember SSHRC emphasizing it had to be your first program at any level, but I can't remember if OGS says the same. I need to complete another master's program after this one in order to enter the field I want, so I'm curious if I have any shot at funding.

I believe you are fine to apply. The only condition is that you don't hold an OGS for more than 4 years (in total, over all your masters/doctoral degrees).

They say:

"It is important to realize that the ministry does not pay the scholarship directly to you. The ministry forwards its portion of the scholarship to your university and your university includes its portion and pays you using its standard payment methods. Please contact the Graduate Studies Office at your university for details, especially any documentation or proof of identification that may be required."

I received the OGS last year, and it was deposited into my school account (online). However, once the tuition portion was paid, there was a small balance, which I received in cheque form after I requested a "refund" (not really a refund... but they scoop out your remaining $$ from your account and send it back to you).

For Paper Applicants:

I was unable to contact the hotline (due to being out of the province the last week) for the status of my application and I still have not recieved any letter in the mail about the status of my application.

If you are a paper applicant, do you recieve a letter in the mail even if you are rejected or waitlisted?

Thanks in advance.

-Bobby Bouche.

Yeah, from what I can tell, there have already been a few successful SSHRC winners who also won the OGS, myself included. I will be declining the OGS, so hopefully one of you waitlisters get it!

Yeah, from what I can tell, there have already been a few successful SSHRC winners who also won the OGS, myself included. I will be declining the OGS, so hopefully one of you waitlisters get it!

Same with me! I hope it goes to one of you.

I just tried checking my OGS status and got the message:

"Access to the online application and status is currently not available because of a scheduled update. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. Please check back later."

Has anyone else tried logging in? I am on the wait list for the OGS and wonder whether this may mean anything.

I just tried checking my OGS status and got the message:

"Access to the online application and status is currently not available because of a scheduled update. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. Please check back later."

Has anyone else tried logging in? I am on the wait list for the OGS and wonder whether this may mean anything.

:(

nope, i was able to log back into mine and it still says wait list.

what disciple code stream are you "waiting" in?

i'm social sciences 201 applied social science (research in gerontology)

Thanks for the response -- looks like I can now sign in as well. I'm in 211 - Sociology. Wonder when they will start taking people off the waitlist! My grad chair said it might take some time.

• 1 month later...

Is there anyone here who was successful in both their OGS and SSHRC application? And had to turn down OGS accordingly? I accepted OGS last month--I figured a waitlist for a SSHRC was a no-go--and now I'm not sure how to decline it, as there is no option to do so online.

Hoping someone can help me out so I can help one waitlister out..

I got the OGS last year (and declined it this year so hopefully it will go to a wait-lister!). Our graduate program secretary asked us to inform her ASAP because our school has a policy that you cannot be eligible for internal awards unless you apply to all the external ones (NSERC, OGS). So, it's good to tell them right away (good or bad) so that they can start nominating and putting together award applications to your school's internal awards. In addition, the OGS result affects your financial package so you probably want to get the info to them sooner rather than later!

Really? Is this your experience?!! I was just told by Queen's they were going to take away my internal funding offered upfront to me in my letter of acceptance because I was successful in the OGS competition. Feeling like I am being penalized for winning an external award, and was counting on the university funding to top up my OGS. I also had to ask about the status of my internal funding before I was told it was revoked by the department administration. No one even bothered to inform me. Be grateful your university encourages top students by providing internal awards to those who are successful in external funding competitions. Has anyone else experienced withdrawal of university support after winning OGS or SSHRC funding?

Really? Is this your experience?!! I was just told by Queen's they were going to take away my internal funding offered upfront to me in my letter of acceptance because I was successful in the OGS competition. Feeling like I am being penalized for winning an external award, and was counting on the university funding to top up my OGS. I also had to ask about the status of my internal funding before I was told it was revoked by the department administration. No one even bothered to inform me. Be grateful your university encourages top students by providing internal awards to those who are successful in external funding competitions. Has anyone else experienced withdrawal of university support after winning OGS or SSHRC funding?

I am actually from Queen's too! It depends on department. Before I started my first year, I was told I was nominated for an internal school-wide fellowship (for visual minority students). In August, I found out I won the fellowship, $10k -- pretty good! But it made no difference to me, because they reduced other sources of Queens-funding by $10k too so my end result is the same.

What I said in the post you quoted me was for people who don't get the NSERC/SSHRC or OGS. Internal fellowships are only considered after you don't get one of the big ones.

However, it IS the normal for external fellowships to REPLACE rather than supplement internal funding. In some cases, the department can still supplement it a bit. In my department (Physics), for Masters students, here are the funding levels:

1) No scholarship -- $24k/year

2) OGS-like scholarship -- $29k/year

3) NSERC-like scholarhsip -- $32k/year

So, although the OGS is $15k (and NSERC is $17.5k) , we don't get it ALL supplemented if we win one. Fortunately, we do get a little boost though.

On the other hand, at my new PhD institution, winning an NSERC does nothing -- they have a policy of paying everyone the same stipend, no matter what external money you bring in.

Note: It's still a good thing for YOU and your supervisor if you win a OGS or NSERC/SSHRC. It's good on your CV, helps you win more awards later, and money from external sources means you cost less to your department (can help you gain favour) and more importantly, cost less to your supervisor. This can give you more freedom in research activities, and more money for your supervisor to spend on you in other ways (e.g. conferences).

EDIT: By the way, the above numbers are given in the letter of acceptance so while we always know how much funding we will get upfront, it just means they aren't committed to saying where the money will come from -- if you win more awards, the money just comes from that instead of Queen's.

Edited by TakeruK

I am actually from Queen's too! It depends on department. Before I started my first year, I was told I was nominated for an internal school-wide fellowship (for visual minority students). In August, I found out I won the fellowship, $10k -- pretty good! But it made no difference to me, because they reduced other sources of Queens-funding by $10k too so my end result is the same.

What I said in the post you quoted me was for people who don't get the NSERC/SSHRC or OGS. Internal fellowships are only considered after you don't get one of the big ones.

However, it IS the normal for external fellowships to REPLACE rather than supplement internal funding. In some cases, the department can still supplement it a bit. In my department (Physics), for Masters students, here are the funding levels:

1) No scholarship -- $24k/year

2) OGS-like scholarship -- $29k/year

3) NSERC-like scholarhsip -- $32k/year

So, although the OGS is $15k (and NSERC is $17.5k) , we don't get it ALL supplemented if we win one. Fortunately, we do get a little boost though.

On the other hand, at my new PhD institution, winning an NSERC does nothing -- they have a policy of paying everyone the same stipend, no matter what external money you bring in.

Note: It's still a good thing for YOU and your supervisor if you win a OGS or NSERC/SSHRC. It's good on your CV, helps you win more awards later, and money from external sources means you cost less to your department (can help you gain favour) and more importantly, cost less to your supervisor. This can give you more freedom in research activities, and more money for your supervisor to spend on you in other ways (e.g. conferences).

EDIT: By the way, the above numbers are given in the letter of acceptance so while we always know how much funding we will get upfront, it just means they aren't committed to saying where the money will come from -- if you win more awards, the money just comes from that instead of Queen's.

After a little research I have realized what is going on thanks to Carleton U, whose Graduate Student Association is on the ball. Apparently the government increased the number of OGS awards from 2000 to 3000 this year and subsequently the 5,000$ most Ontario university departments offer incoming students to 'top up' their OGS awards are being clawed back, as there are more OGS winners this year to compensate. Only departments are not informing students of this. Carleton has begun a letter writing campaign and petition. I can not see that either Queen's nor the SPGS is supporting its own students in a similar way. I only found out my internal funding top up to my OGS was being revoked in a curt email after I took the initiative to inquire about the status of my internal funding. It is six weeks to the beginning of term and the blatant neglect of informing students of the status of their funding is unacceptable. It is common practice that universities top up OGS scholarships in order to be competitive in terms of funding and it is my view many graduate students will be arriving on campus this September unaware of the drastic reduction to their own funds. More students need to be made aware of this and we need to speak out. I for one will be writing a letter to the head of my department. Check out the GSA website at Carleton for more information.

I am receiving an OGS at Queen's starting in the fall for a professional program (no internal funding), so does anyone know when and how it is paid? I have informed the office, but all the information seems vague.

Source,

The total value of the OGS award is $15,000; $10,000 from Ontario and $5,000 from the University, i.e. the "top up". That money is guaranteed -- the government only provides the $10,000 to the school to pass onto you if the school is willing to put $5,000 on top of it. So like you said, increasing the number of awards means more top up money required from the schools. In addition, schools/departments will also increase the total stipend (like my example above) by an additional amount, like you said, to be competitive. This number is variable. So, to be clear, the former top up has to happen, but the latter could change. However, a letter of offer that says your funding amount should be a contract basically -- my letter said that I am guaranteed $24k in funding, $29k if I get a OGS and $32k if I get a NSERC. If your letter doesn't say specific amounts based on awards then and it's just one value, $X then as long as you are still getting $X in the end, then everything is kosher. If you weren't given a top-up promised in writing then unfortunately, no one is committed to giving it to you. I'm not sure what your situation is -- I know some people on the SGPS council and I can get you in touch with those people if you would like, send me a PM. Note: I'm not defending Queen's administration at all -- in fact, I've seen many other students' experiences to leave me with a sour taste. But the fact is that anything that isn't promised in writing is not "real". I think it's very bad that people's stipends could change without notice and the only real recourse we have is to change schools, but that's not really realistic at this stage.

Calet,

In August, I get an email from Queen's Financial Services stating the terms and conditions of all awards that I have payable, and their pay schedule. What happens for me, and I suspect most people, is that the OGS is divided into 3 payments and Queen's pays me $5000 each in Sept, Jan., and May. If you have a direct deposit account set up with Queen's (I was asked to do this sometime in August) then the money goes directly into your bank account. In August, you probably will sign up for a monthly payment plan where tuition will be deducted out of your bank account monthly. But the OGS will still pay into your bank account first, THEN tuition is deducted (Queen's tries to make sure award payments actually go into the bank account ~1 week before tuition is deducted).

Calet,

In August, I get an email from Queen's Financial Services stating the terms and conditions of all awards that I have payable, and their pay schedule. What happens for me, and I suspect most people, is that the OGS is divided into 3 payments and Queen's pays me $5000 each in Sept, Jan., and May. If you have a direct deposit account set up with Queen's (I was asked to do this sometime in August) then the money goes directly into your bank account. In August, you probably will sign up for a monthly payment plan where tuition will be deducted out of your bank account monthly. But the OGS will still pay into your bank account first, THEN tuition is deducted (Queen's tries to make sure award payments actually go into the bank account ~1 week before tuition is deducted).

That's great, thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

"As you are aware, you have been placed on the waiting list for the 2012-2013 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) competition. I am pleased to inform you that you have been moved from the waiting list to the successful list, and are being offered an OGS award for the 2012-2013 competition. Congratulations!"

After freaking out about OSAP and then fixing OSAP and signing those forms, and then seeing this email in my account today.. I'm.... shaking my head... in both a face-palm/celebratory fashion.

Good luck to the rest waiting on the list- I hope you get this email too! I just checked my OGS account and the account hasn't update the info yet.