Anyone know anything about UCs or CSUs???

mndync

Okay, so last year I was accepted to Art Center in Pasadena for New Genres. However, after finding out that it would cost $90,000 to get my masters I decided to look into state schools in California. I would like to be in LA or very near. I don't like being isolated in suburban areas. I have been looking at Cal State LA, UC San Diego, CSU Long Beach, USC Roski, UC Irvine, CSU Northridge, and CSU Fullerton. I really know nothing about these schools. Does anyone know which of these have good grad programs for New Genres? I'm really lost. I've searched all over the internet for student reviews and can't find any for the grad programs. I currently live in Tennessee so I can't just drive over there and see which one is best. Thanks so much :)))))

I think UCSD is probably the place for new genres if you're wanting to incorporate technology. Maybe Irvine as well. UCLA is the best MFA program in the country, but I don't know if they have a New Genres concentration.

Really, I think you just need to see which schools actually offer a New Genres curriculum. Except for Cal State L.A., those are all good schools.

When I went to visit the UCLA MFA studios about 2 years ago, (a friend and I snuck in and got an impromptu tour from an MFA student :P ) & they do have a New Genres concentration. From what it sounded like, they only accepted about 2 people into that department each incoming yr. (perhaps it's changed)

UCI is good but I've heard that there is a lot of required critical writing. (it is a 3 yr program, maybe the last yr is just thesis?) I actually grew up around UCI and I really liked the area, you're right in between SD & LA less than an hour to get to driving. I've seen some solid performance work from undergrads, MFA students are a little different. A professor friend went down to give a lecture and he said the program is really rigorous and theory based that it leaves some of the students crippled with anxiety? Of course, that was his experience.

Are you a resident here? I think in California you need to live here for about 1 yr before you can become a resident. I only mention because I wonder if that effects the application process?

I currently live in Tennessee. The schools that I have been looking at give out of state students a scholarship that covers their out of state fee. So I'm hoping to get into one of those.

I kinda decided to apply again to grad school this year late so I missed the deadline for UCLA. But I don't know if it is the right program for me. Looking at the students' and teachers' work from UCLA and USC Roski, I don't think my work would fit in there. So I'm trying to find a program that is more fitting for my work.

I make installations as well as miniatures, video, performance, photography, experimentation with light, anaglyphs, holographs, and printmaking. So I do a little bit of everything. I had debated going to film school for a while but decided to just continue with fine art so that I could have more freedom to experiment and use different mediums.

http://mandystoller.tumblr.com

Oh good!

I have a friend at UCSB right now and I could see your digital and installation working there. From his POV, it sounded like UCSB is really into the whole 'net art' (I know, old lame term) thing, if you wanted to apply there I'd say if you tweaked your portfolio for each school, I could see it working there. A big question about your photographs: Do you need a darkroom? I think (can't be certain) Long Beach still has one, UCSB has a pretty good set up.

Also I have legit seen that sweater before, bummer someone put it up on reddit w/out permission!

From what I've seen of students coming out of UCSD, I think you'd fit in with the work there. (more than me actually haha, but you never know). Btw, I LOVE pretty much everything on your tumblr

Thank you both so much for your compliments! I missed the deadline for UCSB for this fall :((( So that sucks. I have a friend that went to undergrad there for photography and she really loved it.

I do not use a darkroom for my photos. They are all digital. I double expose images that I took through layering in photoshop with filters. But even the filters that are used are photos that I took. wah wahhhh. I don't really have access to a darkroom since I graduated so I just kinda learned to get creative with what I can do with what I have.

I think it was sexy-sweaters that photoshopped my art onto a sweater and then someone posted a link to it on reddit. I emailed sexy-sweaters about it because I thought they were selling them by the comments that people had made on reddit. I was like oh nooo. it has begun. But fortunately, it had not begun. They had never made a sweater out of my art. I'm just waiting for the day when urban outfitters has a shirt with one of my cat images on it. They are notorious for that. Then I will take them to court and get all the moneys. muhahahahha

• 2 weeks later...

Oh good!

I have a friend at UCSB right now and I could see your digital and installation working there. From his POV, it sounded like UCSB is really into the whole 'net art' (I know, old lame term) thing, if you wanted to apply there I'd say if you tweaked your portfolio for each school, I could see it working there. A big question about your photographs: Do you need a darkroom? I think (can't be certain) Long Beach still has one, UCSB has a pretty good set up.

Also I have legit seen that sweater before, bummer someone put it up on reddit w/out permission!

lurk

When I went to visit the UCLA MFA studios about 2 years ago, (a friend and I snuck in and got an impromptu tour from an MFA student :P ) & they do have a New Genres concentration. From what it sounded like, they only accepted about 2 people into that department each incoming yr. (perhaps it's changed)

UCI is good but I've heard that there is a lot of required critical writing. (it is a 3 yr program, maybe the last yr is just thesis?) I actually grew up around UCI and I really liked the area, you're right in between SD & LA less than an hour to get to driving. I've seen some solid performance work from undergrads, MFA students are a little different. A professor friend went down to give a lecture and he said the program is really rigorous and theory based that it leaves some of the students crippled with anxiety? Of course, that was his experience.

Are you a resident here? I think in California you need to live here for about 1 yr before you can become a resident. I only mention because I wonder if that effects the application process?

I just want to say that this description of UCI matches EXACTLY everything I've heard about their program during my career. It wouldn't be something I'd be interested in. But I've met several really wonderful grads from that program.

I see you put "Damn GRE" by Yale in your signature. Why.

Okay, so last year I was accepted to Art Center in Pasadena for New Genres. However, after finding out that it would cost $90,000 to get my masters I decided to look into state schools in California. I would like to be in LA or very near. I don't like being isolated in suburban areas. I have been looking at Cal State LA, UC San Diego, CSU Long Beach, USC Roski, UC Irvine, CSU Northridge, and CSU Fullerton. I really know nothing about these schools. Does anyone know which of these have good grad programs for New Genres? I'm really lost. I've searched all over the internet for student reviews and can't find any for the grad programs. I currently live in Tennessee so I can't just drive over there and see which one is best. Thanks so much :)))))

I currently attend UCSD in VisArts and have many grad friends in the MFA program...after looking at your tumblr, I could honestly say your work would definitely fit in with the "new genres" crowd here.

We have some awesome professors in the department: Lev Manovich (new media), Benjamin Bratton (new media/design), Ricardo Dominguez and Brett Stalbaum (radical social media), J-P Gorin (film), Anya Gallaccio (famous YBA artist), and a host of others...

The program is fully funded, has excellent teaching opportunities, and you can take either 2 or 3 years to finish. I can't recommend it any higher. The program is top notch for new genres...

Best of luck with your apps!

• 3 weeks later...

So I was rejected from UCSD today. Received the notification through email. wah-wah. Apparently I am probably rejected from UCI as well because I haven't heard any word and people have already been notified for interviews. So that just leaves CSULB. I don't know what school to apply to anymore. I was rejected last year from Cal Arts and CSU Roski. I really don't want to wait yet another year to apply again.

So I was rejected from UCSD today. Received the notification through email. wah-wah. Apparently I am probably rejected from UCI as well because I haven't heard any word and people have already been notified for interviews. So that just leaves CSULB. I don't know what school to apply to anymore. I was rejected last year from Cal Arts and CSU Roski. I really don't want to wait yet another year to apply again.

Since you are New Genres, and IF you don't get into LB, check out these schools next year for new genres and media:

Cali schools:

- UCSD (apply again! Why not...)

- SDSU (a hidden gem: good prog, great gallery spaces, and I think there is good funding)

- SJSU / cadre (I believe there is good funding)

- Mills / intermedia (good funding)

- UCSB (amazing funding, full ride+)

- UC Berkeley (full tuition ride for instate peeps, out of state peeps, pay difference in tuition the first year)

- UCLA / d-ma (excellent funding)

- UC Davis (decent funding)

- SFSU (funding is minimal if at all)

Others:

- ASU (awesome funding; full ride's avail.)

- Univ of Chicago (excellent funding)

- RPI / elec arts (I believe this is a full ride)

- Northwestern (terrific funding; full ride+)

- UTex-Austin (good funding)

- SAIC / art & tech and film & media (awful funding)

- Alfred (awesome funding; full ride+)

- RISD / D+M (crappy funding)

- MIT / ACT (mediocre funding)

...even if you don't feel you are an "electronic arts" person, the crossover with new genres is consistently being blurred nowadays, so it's good to apply.

Good Luck!!!

Edited by OutWest

• 3 weeks later...

Since you are New Genres, and IF you don't get into LB, check out these schools next year for new genres and media:

Cali schools:

- UCSD (apply again! Why not...)

- SDSU (a hidden gem: good prog, great gallery spaces, and I think there is good funding)

- SJSU / cadre (I believe there is good funding)

- Mills / intermedia (good funding)

- UCSB (amazing funding, full ride+)

- UC Berkeley (full tuition ride for instate peeps, out of state peeps, pay difference in tuition the first year)

- UCLA / d-ma (excellent funding)

- UC Davis (decent funding)

- SFSU (funding is minimal if at all)

Others:

- ASU (awesome funding; full ride's avail.)

- Univ of Chicago (excellent funding)

- RPI / elec arts (I believe this is a full ride)

- Northwestern (terrific funding; full ride+)

- UTex-Austin (good funding)

- SAIC / art & tech and film & media (awful funding)

- Alfred (awesome funding; full ride+)

- RISD / D+M (crappy funding)

- MIT / ACT (mediocre funding)

...even if you don't feel you are an "electronic arts" person, the crossover with new genres is consistently being blurred nowadays, so it's good to apply.

Good Luck!!!

That is very helpful. I am possibly going to do a second bachelor's, a BFA, at San Francisco Art Institute. Do you know anything about their MFA in New Genres?

That is very helpful. I am possibly going to do a second bachelor's, a BFA, at San Francisco Art Institute. Do you know anything about their MFA in New Genres?

As far as I can tell (and, i've visited the program's MFA show in years past), it's a solid New Genres program. Also, in the Bay, check out Mills, and Berkeley's (and, Stanford if you have an exhibition record by that time) programs as well. Those three programs are very well funded...CCA is a terrific program, but from what I've heard, the funding is minimal.

Enjoy SFAI!