How to list publication

Hey guys,

Just found out my first publication was accepted! I'm currently applying for a scholarship that asks me to list publications. As this is my only one I would love to list it. How do I list a publication that has been accepted but not yet published? Is it classified as "in press"?

Appreciate the help.

Congratulations!!!

In my field we use "in press" + journal name for this stage in the publication process, certainly for citations. I've also seen "accepted", "expceted" and similar expressions on CVs. The safest bet is to ask your advisor or more advanced students in your program about the procedures in your field.

For my CV, I keep them in the following category:

Submitted- submitted to the journal.

In Review- out for peer review

Accepted- been accepted by the journal, but no publication date mentioned

In Press- been accepted and is currently being processed for publication.

I'm sure it depends on the field, but those are the norms for my area. Generally, you only put on "Submitted" papers if you want to show you're currently working to get results out on something, as they stand they really don't mean anything- same with "In Review" papers. Accepted and In Press are good to have, since they're "sure things" so to speak.

For my CV, I keep them in the following category:

Submitted- submitted to the journal.

In Review- out for peer review

Accepted- been accepted by the journal, but no publication date mentioned

In Press- been accepted and is currently being processed for publication.

I'm sure it depends on the field, but those are the norms for my area. Generally, you only put on "Submitted" papers if you want to show you're currently working to get results out on something, as they stand they really don't mean anything- same with "In Review" papers. Accepted and In Press are good to have, since they're "sure things" so to speak.

I've also seen "in revision" but I'm not sure if that can be used for "revise and resubmit" or just "accepted with minor revisions".

I think we used In Revision on one of ours when we were doing accepted with minor revisions. I'd say an R&R doesn't exactly qualify.

Really, most of these don't get used much, since you only need to use them when a submission happens to overlap with a deadline.

I've seen it recommended to people applying to faculty jobs (on the chronicle) to have separate sections for articles in prep/in press and those that are published, but opinion seems to be split, as long as you're clear in which are where.

I was looking at some academic's CVs today and it seems many of them do have separate sections for articles that are in press. Since this is my only publication I get no such sections, just adding a comment at the end to indicate its status.

Mine looks the same way even a couple of years in.

I figure it would be weird having several sections for just a few papers (2 out, 2 in press). Most of those that I've seen do a separate section have enough either place to make them look significant.I have been making sure I bold the (in press) portion at the end to make sure it's visible.

I put "in press" together with published papers. "Submitted" (I don't do "under review/revision") goes under work in progress, even though it's a small section, because I think there's a line dividing work that has passed peer review and work that hasn't yet. I also separate journal papers from proceedings papers for the same reason - conference papers are not peer-reviewed in my field (the abstracts are, but you can write whatever you want in the paper), journal papers are.