University of British Columbia

husky07

I found out that since I applied for year round housing, the under 200 rule doesn't apply. There is no telling if and when I'll get a housing offer. I started looking into off-campus housing, but since I currently live thousands of miles away, it's impossible to finalize anything. That being said, if anyone is looking for a roommate... :wink:

With respect to SSHRC, it is never too early to start thinking about your application. This of course varies from school to school, but from past experience, applications become due in late September/early October for next year's awards. But, with a whole new university comes a whole new set of deadlines.

Ok, here is my experience with the UBC housing waitlist. I received an offer for a housing option where I held a waitlist spot in the mid 100's. I had my preferred move-in date listed as June 1. I'm not sure, but I believe that this date had a substantial influence on the offer I received. I received the offer on a Friday morning and had until the end of the day on Monday to make a decision. If the date that you listed as your earliest move-in date is later in the summer, I wouldn't think that an offer would be just around the corner. I won't repeat details I provided in earlier posts but I felt that I could do better in the off-campus market.

yumitsjudy - I have spent some time looking for off-campus options, while living some distance from BC. www.amsrentsline.com has been very useful in finding housing geared to students looking to live close to campus. I put a posting on craigslist in the "housing needed" section, just to look for someone who was also searching for housing. As it turns out, I had a landlord contact me, and it looks as if I will take her up on her offer. There are landlords/roommates out there who are looking for graduate students, so put yourself out there and see what you get!

Let me know if you need any more details.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use