GRE subject required = dont apply?

Zitro6

I have applied to 5 schools so far and have been accepted to Emory. I also want to apply to Johns Hopkins beause of the confidence boost!

For chem, they require a math/science subject test. I've heard stories about people admitted to other schools even without a subject GRE. Should I try anyways? My application is not outstanding so I don't know if they will overlook the missing score.

Here are some stats:

minority female from a "good" private liberal arts school, american chemical society scholar

3.21 GPA 161Q 156V 4.5A GRE

3 semesters and 3 summers of research (one at another university, decently competitive program)

Lots of teaching experience

very strong letters of recommendation from research advisors

ok statement of purpose

If they require a GRE subject test in math/science, then you should only apply if you have completed a GRE subject test in math/science. Otherwise, that's grounds for rejection which was a waste of your time/money and definitely not the confidence boost you're seeking.

I think that Zitro6 meant that getting an acceptance already has given her the confidence boost needed to apply to JHU, not that she wants to apply to JHU for a confidence boost.

But either way, if a school "requires" (not just "recommends") a subject test, then it will probably use the test as a weed-out measure; that is, the adcomm can immediately toss applications that don't meet the application requirements.

Note that I say "can" and not "will," since I'm sure, as with anything else, that this varies by program. I think it's a reasonable prediction though, since I'd imagine adcomms would be eager to whittle down the applicant pool as easily as they can.

Edited by Pitangus

yep, what everybody said. Those people were admitted without a GRE subject score because it was just "recommended" or "not required".

side note: In my case though, I've only applied mostly to schools that require the GRE subject test because I thought that not using that $160 test in my application is a bit wasteful. risky, I know.

side note: In my case though, I've only applied mostly to schools that require the GRE subject test because I thought that not using that $160 test in my application is a bit wasteful. risky, I know.

Haha. None of my schools required it but I sent it anyways (one "strongly recommended" it). I spent good money: they will read it and they will LIKE IT. *shakes fist* ...or they will just ignore it completely

Edited by Pitangus

I'm a bit confused...do you want to go to John Hopkins or do you just want to get in for the heck of it? Seems a bit of a shame to take the place from someone else if you aren't committed to going...

The reason I didnt apply is because I thought I wouldn't get in. I ended up calling and asking and they encouraged me to apply anyways so I did. If I got in I would definitely go there. I was just afraid that I was reaching too high.

The reason I didnt apply is because I thought I wouldn't get in. I ended up calling and asking and they encouraged me to apply anyways so I did. If I got in I would definitely go there. I was just afraid that I was reaching too high.

Might you have time to take it in between now and an application decision (i.e. apply now and submit the test in a month)? Seems like it would certainly help your chances.

• 1 month later...

yep, what everybody said. Those people were admitted without a GRE subject score because it was just "recommended" or "not required".

I know this is late...but I guess if people read this for next year, I was admitted to UCI without the Chem GRE and it's required. I just have to take it later..probably April. But I still received a full stipend and fellowship.

I may get some blowback for this response, but here's what I think:

You may not mean it this way but from what you said it sounded like you actually want to go to a different school and are just applying with the hope that you'll be accepted for the sake of a stroking your ego. If that's the case I'd say you might need to grow up a bit. Is it really worth the money you'll spend on taking the tests and paying the application fee to able to spend the rest of your life congratulating yourself on being accepted to John's Hopkins eventhough you never planned to go there?

However, if you'd really like to go to John's Hopkins then yes apply. I wouldn't recommend doing so without all of the requirements, though. So if they require the subject test, then take it.

• 1 month later...

I may get some blowback for this response, but here's what I think:

You may not mean it this way but from what you said it sounded like you actually want to go to a different school and are just applying with the hope that you'll be accepted for the sake of a stroking your ego. If that's the case I'd say you might need to grow up a bit. Is it really worth the money you'll spend on taking the tests and paying the application fee to able to spend the rest of your life congratulating yourself on being accepted to John's Hopkins eventhough you never planned to go there?

However, if you'd really like to go to John's Hopkins then yes apply. I wouldn't recommend doing so without all of the requirements, though. So if they require the subject test, then take it.

As others have already mentioned, I that's not what the OP meant at all...although I'll admit that I had to re-read the post myself after looking at those comments to get what she actually said.