B!tch about your programs!

maath805

My department, one of the best in the country, only has 2 Arabic lit grad courses a semester... One in modern, one in medieval. So if the modern one doesn't fit in with my research interests, I basically have to take the medieval lit course if I don't want to take all Comp Lit courses (and the Comp Lit department here is very European-lit-oriented).

Yet when I complained about this to my friend who's an MA student specializing in modern Iranian poetry, he was like, "Listen, do you know how hard it is to study Persian literature here?" There is *one* Persian literature class offered every semester, and it's actually just "Advanced Persian: Now you can read something besides basic conversational sentences."

I love my department; the atmosphere is great, my cohort is small and really friendly, our professors treat us more like colleagues than students... I just wish there were more options for us literary types.