Diving discussion

SapperDaddy

So as not to offend those who don't dive, I figured I would start this as it's own discussion. So, where to start? I guess I'll say my background. I learned to dive in the Army, both open circuit and closed circuit systems. After I got out of the Army, I became first a divemaster and then an instructor (through PADI). I teach most weekends now, some evenings. Most of my recent dives have been for training students. I like it, but it's not quite fun and I don't get a lot of chance to enjoy the experience for myself.

My last recreational (for myself) dive was in the California Channel Islands, San Clemente and Catalina on that trip. I really like diving kelp, in ways more than coral reef dives. I just like how the light filters down through the strands and stuff.

So, where has everyone else been that you've liked?

I was hoping this thread would appear, and was tempted to start it myself!

I'm also PADI certified. Haven't gone diving in a while since my last dive was at Alki (Washington) during a December blizzard (wasn't the best choice of times). My younger sibling was getting certified and I was his buddy. There's a lot of stuff floating around in the Puget Sound, and I'm convinced cold water creatures are creepier.

My dad is also a divemaster/instructor and has done a bunch of really cool wreck dives. I'm dying to try a warm water dive!

They have some really amazing cave dives in Mexico where you enter through a sinkhole, go diving through the completely dark cave, and exit through another sinkhole.

Cave diving is way dangerous. Dangerous enough I won't do it. Even cave divers who do it all right can still die. My teaching partner is big into it and this past summer had to haul one of her group out of a cave in Florida because he breathed the wrong gas mix.

I haven't dove Puget Sound, but if I get in at UW, I will of course have to. If you want warm water, Fiji is the place to go. The best kept secret of Fiji is the island of Kadavu. The soft coral there is amazing. At the store I work at, we do at least 2 trips there a year and every year it sells out within the week we put it out. If you want decent and fairly cheap, the Florida Keys I hear are nice, but not one I've ever done. I've done Cozumel a few times, that's not too expensive either and has a lot of stuff to do when you aren't diving. I've not dove the mainland but I've wanted to try some of the cenotes (the sink holes). I've snorkeled in one, which was pretty cool.

I've also loved to do a great white shark dive, but those are as expensive as Fiji with no guarantees. The boat I really like in southern California charges $550 for a 3 day live aboard trip to the Channel Islands, but $3,000 for a Guadalupe shark dive.

The really nice part of being an instructor is that when I'm teaching, the shop covers my expenses and I can write off most of my gear on my taxes since I get paid (technically) to dive. The shop also covers my insurance, which is good, and then if I am the lead on a trip, they pay my way (that's how I got to Fiji). I only show a profit from instructing every couple of years so the IRS doesn't audit me, but really, being an instructor is just a way I can support my habit.

Any tips on finding a well-fitting mask? I'm starting PADI certification, and the mask that seemed to fit in-store didn't work so well on my first confined water dive. I also seem to have this psychological fear of water getting in my mask, since I don't know how to manage my breathing right to both clear the mask yet avoid holding my breath.

Any tips on finding a well-fitting mask? I'm starting PADI certification, and the mask that seemed to fit in-store didn't work so well on my first confined water dive. I also seem to have this psychological fear of water getting in my mask, since I don't know how to manage my breathing right to both clear the mask yet avoid holding my breath.

Well, the standard is to find one that when you suck in with your nose, it fits tightly to your face without you holding it. I also tighten my mask down a bit more than seems good. With practice you will learn to clear without any problem and that is what the essential skill is. One problem a lot of people have is not so much mask fit as they are nose breathers and exhale through their nose (me being one). This causes the mask to get away from your face and lets water in. I also don't know if you do or not, but facial hair, especially a mustache also messes with the seal. One good way to help that is to get some food grade silicone grease and rub it on your mustache before diving. You want food grade because if you ingest any in the water it's safe and it won't degrade the rubber of your mask.

But work on your skills in clearing your mask while you're in the pool. As long as you don't change depth, you should be ok with only a momentary breathhold (but don't change depth and especially don't ascend). I like to inhale, take a big hit of air, then on my natural exhale, use that to clear my mask. As you dive more, it just gets automatic. Most importantly, never, ever panic. Any diving emergency can be managed if you keep your head.

Ooh, I love diving! I haven't done it much (about 25 dives), and 24 of those were in Curacao, the other 1 in St Eustatius (both Netherlands Antilles). So just warm water diving so far. I'd love to try some diving in Minnesota (ice diving anyone? What's that like?), but without connections and money it's hard to get going!

Edited to add: when putting on your mask, make sure you don't pull it too tight. This pulls your skin into wrinkles, which let in water. So loose is better, at least for me :) Also, if you can just go snorkeling a bit, this should help you get used to the mouth-breathing without all the equipment hassle!

Edited by Ennue

I would LOVE to go diving in various places, like the Channel Islands, CA, the Great Barrier Reef, Indonesia, cenote diving in Mexico, swimming with whale sharks in Thailand, etc. But, time and money prohibit the majority of these trips, at least for now.