April 1st University of Chicago SSA Deadline - is there a point?

teacup

So, to keep this as short as possible: sometimes my time management skills are not the best, and I was sort of pushing it to get my application in to SSA by the January 15th deadline. Then I ended up in the hospital and missed the deadline completely. On their website they STRONGLY recommend getting in your application by January 15th and not using the April 1st deadline. Does anyone know exactly how much chances of acceptance are diminished by using the April 1st deadline?

I know the advice will most likely be, "Apply anyway...you still might get in." It's my top-choice program, but I'm not sure I should even bother. Does anyone have any words of encouragement or discouragement? Any late-deadline success stories?

Same here...I just discover that I really like its program.

I'm worried that there won't be any sources of direct grant available when I finish the application, so personally I might give up trying.

(I have to wait for another four weeks for the English test score to arrive. So I can only complete the application in late Feb. )

However, for you, the program has a high acceptance rate. (According to some websites, it's over 60%)

So I think getting accepted may not be a big problem.

I don't know how it works for the financial aid. More advices may be needed.

And yes, it will only cost you less than $100 to apply. Won't hurt anyway.

Hey, just finish the application ASAP, rather than wondering about it!!

Good luck!

Edited by xxxxling

They also waive the application fee if you've done the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, or Teach for America. If you can get around the application fee, it seems worth it to apply. Also, the admissions department is super, super helpful in my experience... call or email them, perhaps explain your situation about the hospital (who knows, maybe they'd let you submit a little late?), and ask if they can give you an idea of your chances of admission in April.

This school has popped up on my radar incredibly last-minute, so I'm in a similar boat. I'd need to dig up a fourth LOR, but I'm beginning to consider throwing my hat in the ring next month to see what happens. Never pictured myself in Chicago, but then again never say never.. I'm a little wary that it is an MA and not an MSW even though they state it's an equivalent degree. Can anyone remark upon the perceived difference?

Also: 60%? Srsly? That seems bizarrely high; I take it they don't have a very high yield. How big is the incoming class?

Admissions rates for social work programs at elite private schools are pretty high across the board, in my experience. I think Columbia's is upwards of 50%, and Penn admits 63% of applicants (the figure was even higher a few years ago). Social work programs tend to be poorly funded and are moneymakers for schools, and, as you said, the yield is probably poor once people actually look at the costs. Some public schools (UIC comes to mind) are actually more competitive by the numbers. That said, UChicago seems comparatively generous with aid, and for me it's only marginally more expensive than the public schools in my state.

Re: the MA vs. MSW, it's an MSW program and they more or less embrace that. The coursework is what you'd take in any MSW program, particularly for the clinical track. There might be a bit more policy work than in other MSW programs, but I'm not certain. Where the "MA" comes in handy, I think, is for social administration track students who might not want to feel pigeonholed by the letters in their degree and want to play up the policy/admin aspects (and may take classes outside of SSA).

Hi 2011 MSW Hopeful - I was just admitted to U Chicago and am seriously considering it. How do you like the program? I would be doing the clinical track. Do you feel like you are able to balance yourself with the workload and are you happy with your decision?

Hi everyone,

I am currently a 1st year SSA student. I have spoken to some admission committee members and it sounds like the competition gets a little more fierce at the last deadline and the funding is less likely to be as substantial. Last year SSA received over 1300 applications and accepted a little over 400 students. The funding at SSA is incredible. Almost everyone in my cohort received the same scholarship as I did - $22,000 per year. I can’t speak highly enough about the program. It is insanely intense but it is extremely structured and well thought out. Good luck to everyone – TURN IN YOUR APPLICATION REGARDLESS OF THE DEADLINE!

Edited by zeb64

I LOVE SSA. Like zeb64, I can't say enough good things about the program. I didn't want to wax poetic about the program in my last post because it wasn't asked, but give me the opportunity and I will talk about it for an hour. As was mentioned, they tend to be incredibly generous with grant funding, most students get substantial work-study funds, the faculty are incredible, the cohort system of grouping students creates a really valuable support system, the field placement opportunities are great, and if you're interested in research, assistantships or jobs in research are pretty easy to come by. Career services gets an A+ for valuable workshops, dissemination of information about jobs and internships, and networking opportunities with prominent alumni. It's a large program, but the fact that your first two quarters are spent mostly in class with your cohort-mates (groupings of about 30) makes it feel a lot more personal. Everyone I know seems to be really enjoying the program.

Edited by 2011 MSW Hopeful

2011 MSW Hopeful, where did you get your statistics about Penn and their acceptance rates? I just spoke to a Penn MSW representative and they said they get over 700 applicants and only accept 100 to 120 students.

That was based on the Peterson's admission statistics here: http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/university-of-pennsylvania-school-of-social-policy-and-practice-program-in-social-work-admissions-000_10013879_10088.aspx

It's highly possible that those stats are incorrect or really outdated, though. In any case, there are a lot more people applying to grad school in this economy. Those are pretty tough odds, though!

For Penn's 2 year MSW program I was awarded $10k for Dean's Merit Award and $2k for SP2 Award = $12k total.

This sounds pretty standard right? It's still a small amount relative to the total cost of both years which is around 80k, right? Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by rjose

• 4 weeks later...

I LOVE SSA. Like zeb64, I can't say enough good things about the program. I didn't want to wax poetic about the program in my last post because it wasn't asked, but give me the opportunity and I will talk about it for an hour. As was mentioned, they tend to be incredibly generous with grant funding, most students get substantial work-study funds, the faculty are incredible, the cohort system of grouping students creates a really valuable support system, the field placement opportunities are great, and if you're interested in research, assistantships or jobs in research are pretty easy to come by. Career services gets an A+ for valuable workshops, dissemination of information about jobs and internships, and networking opportunities with prominent alumni. It's a large program, but the fact that your first two quarters are spent mostly in class with your cohort-mates (groupings of about 30) makes it feel a lot more personal. Everyone I know seems to be really enjoying the program.

Hi everyone,

I am currently a 1st year SSA student. I have spoken to some admission committee members and it sounds like the competition gets a little more fierce at the last deadline and the funding is less likely to be as substantial. Last year SSA received over 1300 applications and accepted a little over 400 students. The funding at SSA is incredible. Almost everyone in my cohort received the same scholarship as I did - $22,000 per year. I can’t speak highly enough about the program. It is insanely intense but it is extremely structured and well thought out. Good luck to everyone – TURN IN YOUR APPLICATION REGARDLESS OF THE DEADLINE!

Hi! So I'm pretty much set on attending UChicago. They gave me a great scholarship amount and the program seems amazing! But what sealed it for me was having two professors reach out to me and say they look forward to working with me. :-) I just have a few questions I hope one of you can answer since you're in your first year.

1) I received my preliminary fin aid letter and was awarded $4500 in work-study. Is it realistic for students to earn $500 a month with a part-time job? Is it easy for students to find a work-study job on campus? If you work, how many hours do you work each week? How many hours would you think would be too much to handle with the courseload?

2) Housing - Do most first-years choose graduate housing? What are some cheap, safe neighborhoods to look into?

I know this is not exactly on topic for this thread so feel free to msg me the answer if need be. Thanks in advance!

Hi! So I'm pretty much set on attending UChicago. They gave me a great scholarship amount and the program seems amazing! But what sealed it for me was having two professors reach out to me and say they look forward to working with me. :-) I just have a few questions I hope one of you can answer since you're in your first year.

1) I received my preliminary fin aid letter and was awarded $4500 in work-study. Is it realistic for students to earn $500 a month with a part-time job? Is it easy for students to find a work-study job on campus? If you work, how many hours do you work each week? How many hours would you think would be too much to handle with the courseload?

2) Housing - Do most first-years choose graduate housing? What are some cheap, safe neighborhoods to look into?

I know this is not exactly on topic for this thread so feel free to msg me the answer if need be. Thanks in advance!

Congrats! :)

I think it's perfectly doable to have a work-study job the first year -- you have one afternoon (either Monday or Wednesday) and all of Friday free. I lucked out and found a job as a research assistant that pays $15/hour ($10 is more common) and work 8-10 hours per week. It's busy, but I also love my job. I didn't have trouble finding a job, but I think it depends on your skill sets. If you're curious what types, you can look at the listings here: https://studentemployment.uchicago.edu/index_jobs.php

A caveat to this is if you were granted a research assistantship by SSA, you may not have time for a separate job, but they do pay as well.

People in my cohort live all over. I live in Hyde Park and like it, but I"m in the minority. Grad housing seems fine and easy, but I rented on my own and am very happy with my apartment. Most people I know live in Lakeview, but there are people all over (Andersonville, Pilsen, South or West Loop, etc.). I think it depends on which neighborhood you like and/or how close you want to be to school.

Congrats! :)

I think it's perfectly doable to have a work-study job the first year -- you have one afternoon (either Monday or Wednesday) and all of Friday free. I lucked out and found a job as a research assistant that pays $15/hour ($10 is more common) and work 8-10 hours per week. It's busy, but I also love my job. I didn't have trouble finding a job, but I think it depends on your skill sets. If you're curious what types, you can look at the listings here: https://studentemplo.../index_jobs.php

A caveat to this is if you were granted a research assistantship by SSA, you may not have time for a separate job, but they do pay as well.

People in my cohort live all over. I live in Hyde Park and like it, but I"m in the minority. Grad housing seems fine and easy, but I rented on my own and am very happy with my apartment. Most people I know live in Lakeview, but there are people all over (Andersonville, Pilsen, South or West Loop, etc.). I think it depends on which neighborhood you like and/or how close you want to be to school.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi- I am new to this forum.  I just received my waitlist letter today from U of C SSA.   Does anyone know anything about this process?  Please feel free to comment!

Thanks!