Amherst, MA

judith

I'll be at UMass in the fall - I visited a few weeks back and cannot wait to go back. I've been advised by the people in my dept. to look in Northampton for housing over Amherst. I'll probably be taking this advice if possible and was wondering when people here recommend starting the apartment search for Northampton. I have heard that single housing is relatively hard to find (not sure yet if I'll be living with anyone from my cohort). I will be at a program in CA for all of July and the first half of August. Would going up in June to visit places make sense (signing if necessary and moving in in August)? Is that too early? Too late? I've been trawling the off-campus housing site through UMass as well as Craiglist, but not too much is up on the latter right now.

Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation, and I don't think I'm planning on flying up at all; I just can't afford the flight, and I think that the worst that can happen is, I'm stuck in a not-great apartment for a year and then I move. I am also looking in Northampton, and haven't been able to find anything available later than June 1st, which makes me think that apartments opening in July and August either don't exist or just aren't on the market yet.

Been reading these posts, some quite helpful. (for example, I did not realize that the bus is free; this changes my entire search process.)

Anyway, just thought I'd drop by and say that if any of you all are in search of roomates for the fall, I am in the same boat. I've been on C-List and the UMass housing site every day, but getting very few responses. And some you those who have responded seem, well...

It looks like sharing a house may be the best way to go (I've seen a fair number of ads for houses that look reasonable).

PM me if you interested.

Thanks. Looking forward to Western Mass!

I've been reading up on Amherst and surrounds, and getting more and more excited. Possibly because it's my only admission, but I'd rather think it's because the area is so darn cool.

I'm not ready to burst my bubble with the mundanity of finding somewhere to live just yet. I'll be the one running around frantically the day before classes start, screaming "does anyone need a roommate?"

I've been looking at http://www.rentnoho.com, in addition to Craig's List and the UMass housing site. One of the grad students I met told me about http://www.holtre.net and http://www.kaminsrealestate.com. Another grad student told me that the listings for fall really start opening up in May, so I'm hoping there are more options available then. I'm planning on moving in mid-August too. I hope I find a home for me and my kittens!

following up on previous poster's mention of fall rentals starting to be advertised in May, does anyone know when it's generally too late to look for something available on August 1? I currently live in Oregon and can make one trip to the area before my move. I could go either May 9-11 or June 14-16. The June dates would be a little easier on my schedule and pocketbook, but it would pointless if there's little left to rent by then.

I've been looking at http://www.rentnoho.com, in addition to Craig's List and the UMass housing site. One of the grad students I met told me about http://www.holtre.net and http://www.kaminsrealestate.com. Another grad student told me that the listings for fall really start opening up in May, so I'm hoping there are more options available then. I'm planning on moving in mid-August too. I hope I find a home for me and my kittens!

Kamin's says they don't have any housing that allows pets. Much like the rest of Western MA. I don't know why everyone in Amherst hates pets. I mean, come on. Who hates pets? They're cute and they love everyone.

• 5 months later...

I'm applying to UMASS-A's cultural anthro program for 2010. I'm taking a scouting trip up in mid October. Any suggestions for things to checkout? I'm into kitschky cool so the cornier the better. And does anyone suggest I rent a car for the three days I'll be there or can I scout out the town pretty well on bus?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm gonna bump this if everybody doesn't mind. I'm looking for housing info, as it's looking very likely that I'll be in UMass this fall. Other than Craigslist and the few links above, does anybody have any suggestions for cheap-ish apartments? I've got a car, so some distance is fine. Thanks in advance!

For everyone who posted questions regarding the Amherst area...

I'm currently completing my masters at UMASS, and there are pros and cons to the area (to be expected...)

Car... I survived here without a car for year. It's completely do able and really no problem. There are buses that run all the time (and typically on time) and if you live near the center of town, you are all set.

If anyone is looking for an apartment PM me, I know of a great landlord who has many inexpensive places right in the center of town (seriously, I pay 500 month including all utilities and live basically across the st. from Starbucks and five minute walk to campus).

Food is good, bars are overrun with UMASS students (this means... a lot of bros.) I actually have had some really great times at the bars in Amherst, but they aren't for everyone. Bars in Noho (Northampton) are fun (slightly older crowd) and you can always take the bus back and forth.

You can have a great social life in Amherst, you just have to go out and seek it.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me!!

I've lived in the Amherst area for a decade. I love Sunderland personally. (directly North of Amherst). Most locations in Sunderland are 10 minutes to campus by car, 12-15 by bus (which runs every 15 minutes during the school year from 7:30am-6:30pm, and then every 35 minutes from 6:30pm-12:00pm+ depending on the night of the week)

The average prices in Sunderland are much cheaper than Amherst, though the $500 quoted above (especially considering the location) sounds like a steal!

If you are looking for a place in Sunderland though, I happen to love Squire Village Apartments. (squirevillage.net)

BEST. . . LANDLADY. . . EVER.

The apartments at Squire Village look great, but probably out of my price range (I'm gonna be really poor, lol).

Not going to lie, Squire is one of, if not "the" cheapest apartment 'complex' in the Amherst area. That being said, one of the above posters did mention an apartment (which I assume is a 1 bdrm in a large house with a kitchenette and a bathroom) for about $500. If you can find a deal like that, GRAB IT. Unfortunately I can tell you from 10 years out here, those awesome deals are not the norm, and counting on it 100% would not be wise.

What hogs of war says is very true. The 500 a month is unusual. However, like I said, if you PM for the landlord name (who owns several buildings in the area, more than 7 I believe), you can find a 2 bedroom where you won't have to pay more than 700/month (max.) and studios which average between 600-800 per month (not bad for its proximity to the center of town).

Anyone have any thoughts on Springfield? I went to Smitb undergrad, and love the 5 college area. I am seriously thinking of attending Springfield College, but my Springfield experience has been the bus station and my one visit to campus.

Anyone have any thoughts on Springfield? I went to Smitb undergrad, and love the 5 college area. I am seriously thinking of attending Springfield College, but my Springfield experience has been the bus station and my one visit to campus.

I would recommend living North of Springfield. . . Possibly between NoHo and Holyoke. If you go South you start getting into CT prices. . . and no one wants to pay those. If you live in Springfield or Holyoke proper, you'll maybe save money, but your crime rate will be higher and though they are doing their best to revive the area, it is still a very depressed area.

Of course if you go too far North (NoHo for example), your commute starts to get too long. I recommend looking for something between Exits 18 and 16 (on rt 91). Towns I would check are Easthampton, Southampton, and South Hadley. There are plenty of other good places, but if you're going to go to School in Springfield, and you went to Smith, I think you'll find it more comfortable in those areas.

I would recommend living North of Springfield. . . Possibly between NoHo and Holyoke. If you go South you start getting into CT prices. . . and no one wants to pay those. If you live in Springfield or Holyoke proper, you'll maybe save money, but your crime rate will be higher and though they are doing their best to revive the area, it is still a very depressed area.

Of course if you go too far North (NoHo for example), your commute starts to get too long. I recommend looking for something between Exits 18 and 16 (on rt 91). Towns I would check are Easthampton, Southampton, and South Hadley. There are plenty of other good places, but if you're going to go to School in Springfield, and you went to Smith, I think you'll find it more comfortable in those areas.

Thanks so much! (I'm out of up votes, or I would upvote this post)

Hi MissH,

Are you debating between Simmons and Springfield? Is Salem still on the table too? Springfield is a *fantastic* school, but I second what Hogs of War said about the city of Springfield being very depressed and having high crime rates. As you know, Noho is a bit pricey - but, Easthampton is pretty decently priced and is quite the up and coming little town. I lived there for 4 or 5 years and found it fairly safe, and pleasant. The art scene is starting to sprout up a bit, and there are more and more things to do and places to go every day. An added bonus is that 91 is 5-10 minutes from anywhere in the town. From Easthampton to Springfield I'd say is a little under half an hour. A friend of mine who still lives in Easthampton will also be going to Sprinfield for the MSW program, and she says it's a pretty manageable commute. There is also Chicopee, Longmeadow, East Longmeadow, and West Springfield, nearer to Springfield - though I don't know a whole lot about any of those towns. There are also *parts* of Holyoke that are really nice and reasonably priced, but definitely check out the area before signing a lease because there can be huuuuuuge differences between two areas even 5 minutes from each other.

If you have any questions about more specific areas/places to go/things to do around the area, feel free to pm me!

I went to UMass Amherst and I loved the school. Like all schools it is what you make of it. I went as an undergraduate although I know they have some amazing grad programs. It depends on the program though and what you are looking for research wise. The campus is nice and they have a good amount of student groups (RSO's) that you can join. UMass is one of the five colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mt. Holyoke and Hampshire) in the area. Therefore, there are students everywhere! Amherst is a nice town small, but artsy. There are many good cafe's and places to eat. They even have a great independent movie theater. The bus system, PVTA, goes around campus as well as to the other five colleges and the mall regularly. I did not have a car and I found it to be very good considering that this area is not a city. Although, I went to graduate school in Boston and found that there bus system was probably as reliable as the PVTA. Another nice thing about the area is that approx. 15-20 by car (longer by bus but not bad) min from UMASS is northampton which has an active music scene (check it out at iheg.com) as well as many bars and food joints. There is also a bike trail that connects UMass to northampton!!! Great if you live in northampton and commute into UMass. I really like this area! It is only 1 1/2 hrs from Boston and 3 from NYC. So it is central to some great larger cities if you need a city fix! There are a few good places to rock climb as well as hike in the area too. Really the "Pioneer Valley" (which is where UMass is located) is wonderful.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread again -- does anybody know what the average utilities bill in the area is? Oil, gas, electric, cable, internet, etc.? Thanks!

My utilities bills in various areas of Western Mass (never specifically Amherst) have been relatively the same, with cable and internet ranging anywhere between 65-115 depending on bundle packages/whether they're separate companies, etc; electric being around 50ish; heat/hot water a few years ago (oil) was about 500-600 a month in the cold months for an entire house, (though this varies extremely from place to place...insulation, what type of heat, how big of a place you have, how warm you have the house...). Gas right now is around 3.87 or so. I just heard about this site, today...it might help you find cheap gas prices in the area: http://www.massachusettsgasprices.com/Amherst/index.aspx

Wow, that oil price is horrifying! Although like you said, I'm sure it wouldn't be quite so bad in a small apartment as opposed to an entire house. Thanks for the info!