Amherst, MA

judith

One of the schools I am very interested in attending is UMass-Amherst. I was wondering if anyone here is from that area and has any opinions about it. How are the people? What's the atmosphere/town like?

Hi! I currently live in Northampton and work in Amherst and so I can give you a bit of a sense to the area. I really love it here! There's a reason Amherst was rated the #1 college town in the country a few years in a row--between Amherst and Northampton, there are countless restaurants (lots of ethnic food options and variety, including vegetarian/vegan options), bookstores, cafes, shops, libraries, museums, etc. It's a cultural and artsy hotspot. You'll be able to find anything you would find in a big city, but on a smaller scale. Hadley has all of your big name corporate shopping places like Stop and Shop, Bed, bath, and Beyond, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, etc. More mom and pop shops in Amherst and Northampton. It's a very laidback, open, kind of funky area. It's the perfect place to be while in school or as a post-grad. I'm sad to be leaving it in a few months when I head off to grad school!

Hi! I currently live in Northampton and work in Amherst and so I can give you a bit of a sense to the area. I really love it here! There's a reason Amherst was rated the #1 college town in the country a few years in a row--between Amherst and Northampton, there are countless restaurants (lots of ethnic food options and variety, including vegetarian/vegan options), bookstores, cafes, shops, libraries, museums, etc. It's a cultural and artsy hotspot. You'll be able to find anything you would find in a big city, but on a smaller scale. Hadley has all of your big name corporate shopping places like Stop and Shop, Bed, bath, and Beyond, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, etc. More mom and pop shops in Amherst and Northampton. It's a very laidback, open, kind of funky area. It's the perfect place to be while in school or as a post-grad. I'm sad to be leaving it in a few months when I head off to grad school!

Thank you for this! I am beyond thrilled about the prospect about living in Amherst, and I just love your description of the community! I plan on visiting in April.

My husband and I are toying with the idea of buying instead of renting. We have some money saved up, and with property values so low right now, the mortgage would end up being much cheaper than rent. Obviously, if we decide to move forward with this fantasy, we'll contact a real estate agent, but until then: what towns and neighborhoods would you recommend we look into? We've love a quiet neighborhood that is walking or biking distance from the restaurants and shops. We have our heart set on a fenced yard so that our pooch can have easy access to the outside, but we are starting to realize that fences aren't really a thing anywhere east of the Rockies!

I did undergrad in Amherst and stayed in the area for two years afterwards.  

If you can swing it, I would definitely recommend buying rather than renting.  Rentals in the best areas of the Pioneer Valley (the Amherst area) run fairly high for being out in the boonies. 

All the best restaurants and shops (and nightlife) is in Northampton.  There are some really adorable neighborhoods right near downtown but out of the hustle and bustle (and plenty have fenced in yards).  There is a bike path that allows you to get through Northampton very well.  I would check out the northern part of State St, Perkins Ave, Prospect St, Finn St, and Summer St area.  This is walkable/bikable to all the best of NoHo.

Thank you for this! I am beyond thrilled about the prospect about living in Amherst, and I just love your description of the community! I plan on visiting in April.

My husband and I are toying with the idea of buying instead of renting. We have some money saved up, and with property values so low right now, the mortgage would end up being much cheaper than rent. Obviously, if we decide to move forward with this fantasy, we'll contact a real estate agent, but until then: what towns and neighborhoods would you recommend we look into? We've love a quiet neighborhood that is walking or biking distance from the restaurants and shops. We have our heart set on a fenced yard so that our pooch can have easy access to the outside, but we are starting to realize that fences aren't really a thing anywhere east of the Rockies!

I'd say if you're looking for land for your pup to roam on, Hadley, Florence (technically part of Noho), or areas of Easthampton provide the great combination of town and country (a few things to do within the town, good nature scene, and not too far from downtown Amherst/Noho centers). If you're looking for even more rural with a not-too-bad-commute-distance to Amherst, I'd say check into Leverett, North Amherst, and Pelham.

Also  - I'd wager a guess that Easthampton and Hadley would be cheaper than the other places I mentioned, if that helps. Too "city" or too far "country" are both equally expensive.

Edited by katiemk1230

Hey, I'm a Northampton townie leaving for Penn State soon to start a PhD. I thought I'd post here to let people on this forum know that my housemates are looking to replace me and another housemate who is also leaving for grad school. They're replacing him in June and me in August. We live in downtown Northampton about a 10 min walk from the bus line to Amherst. My housemates are quiet bookish people. I'll link our Craig's list ad! http://westernmass.craigslist.org/roo/3613004901.html Also, the new High Horse in Amherst is the best bar in the valley in my opinion - the upstairs specifically. No under 21 people allowed up there. The bartenders are all super awesome people. I know them all personally. If anyone wants any more info about Amherst or Noho just PM me. I've lived here for years!

Edited by Metaellipses

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an international married dependent completely on UMass's fund which is 19k for academic year and nothing for summers. Is it possible to live with that fund there at UMass?

I have another admission from Cornell which gives me 23k for academic year and 4500 for summers and the place is less expensive than Amherst i think.

The problem is i really like the UMass's program which is also more prestigous (Linguistics).

Will there be any job in summers for about 1500$/month?

Edited by afraymi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Does anyone know anything about the School of Education or School Psychology program at UMass? I'm debating going, because everything I'm reading about Amherst sounds wonderful! 

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I'm a current Masters student at UMass Amherst and am looking to move into a new place closer to campus in the Fall (I live in Northampton now). That said, I'm looking for roommates or for open rooms. I'd love to hear from anyone who is also looking for something for September!

I'll be at UMass next fall, and I'm super excited! Does anyone know of apartment complexes/neighborhoods near bus lines? I won't have a car for the first year, so I'll depend almost entirely on public transportation. Is that feasible? It can be in any city - Amherst, Hadley, Northampton, Sunderland, etc. Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.  I currently live in a 2 bedroom in Northampton on Elizabeth Street - walking distance to town, and near bus to Amherst/UMass.  I'm moving out to attend Ph.D. program in Austin, and one room in my apartment will be available in August.  Its a LARGE 2 bedroom, hardwood floors, back yard and deck (not beautiful, but existent) and the main plus is the location and the price - rent is 440 plus utilities, which certainly range, especially in Winter depending on how warm you like to keep the house.  Your roommate would be a local painter in his early thirties, neat, friendly, etc.

We'll be posting on craigslist soon, but after seeing there are people on here looking for places, I figured I'd post here.  This is definitely the best deal I've found in noho - along with very hands off landlord, lots of space, and easy proximity to whatever you need in the valley.    PM me if interested.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I'm an incoming PhD student to UMass. I've been looking for an apartment and I found "Squire village" and "Boulder apartment" pretty nice. I have a few questions about the apartments and the area so if anyone can answer any one of the questions, I'll appreciate it very very much!

1. I won't have a car probably for the first year. Do you think it'd be doable to commute from the two apartments to the school? 

2. Overall, how much should I expect to pay for utilities? 

3. This is not for the apartments but is there a place to buy some inexpensive furniture (e.i. a desk, a bed, a table...)? I don't mind using second hand ones

I appreciate any information regarding the two apartments or any other nice place you might want to recommend! Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of Squire Village, but I've never heard great things about The Boulders.  I don't think it's terrible, but not the nicest apartment complex in the area either.  However, I do believe there's a bus stop right outside the complex that will take you to into town and to campus (if you look up the PVTA, it's route 31), and there are pretty constant bus stops in town to go to Hadley (where you'll do all your shopping) Looking up Squire Village, it's up in Sunderland, so while you'd probably be about the same distance to campus, you'd be farther away from anything else, though there should be buses as well.  I do have a car, but the few times I've had my car unavailable, I've been able to get around fine with the buses, and I have friends who don't have cars and do fine.

For utilities, it varies.  Last year, I rented a house with 4 other grad students (near The Boulders, actually), and it was generally about $50/month for electric and then $65/month for oil (we were on an oil budget plan, so we played a fixed price every month for the oil heating and then got a nice refund that summer for the amount we over-paid), and we didn't get cable (I'm not sure if internet was factored into the electric bill or not - one of my roommates handled that).  That house had half electric/half oil heating, which was weird and inefficient.  In my current place, it's about $50/month for electric right now, though during the winter, it was closer to $120 (all electric heating).  Our Comcast bill (for both internet and cable) comes to around $40/month.

For inexpensive furniture, I used Goodwill/Salvation Army.  Without a car, you'd have to find someone to drive you to transport things, but that's where I got both my desk and dresser, which are quite nice and should last a while.  There's both a Goodwill and a Salvation Army in Hadley and another Goodwill over in Northampton.  There are also a zillion mattress stores, which will generally also sell you a cheap bedframe, so you can look around for the best prices.

Not sure if you've already settled on a place to live or know about this, but I highly recommend umoch, UMass's off-campus housing website.  It's how I found my first place up here, and it's a great place to get connected with other students who are looking for a place to live or people who have a place and are looking for additional roommates.

• 1 month later...

I've never heard of Squire Village, but I've never heard great things about The Boulders.  I don't think it's terrible, but not the nicest apartment complex in the area either.  However, I do believe there's a bus stop right outside the complex that will take you to into town and to campus (if you look up the PVTA, it's route 31), and there are pretty constant bus stops in town to go to Hadley (where you'll do all your shopping) Looking up Squire Village, it's up in Sunderland, so while you'd probably be about the same distance to campus, you'd be farther away from anything else, though there should be buses as well.  I do have a car, but the few times I've had my car unavailable, I've been able to get around fine with the buses, and I have friends who don't have cars and do fine.

For utilities, it varies.  Last year, I rented a house with 4 other grad students (near The Boulders, actually), and it was generally about $50/month for electric and then $65/month for oil (we were on an oil budget plan, so we played a fixed price every month for the oil heating and then got a nice refund that summer for the amount we over-paid), and we didn't get cable (I'm not sure if internet was factored into the electric bill or not - one of my roommates handled that).  That house had half electric/half oil heating, which was weird and inefficient.  In my current place, it's about $50/month for electric right now, though during the winter, it was closer to $120 (all electric heating).  Our Comcast bill (for both internet and cable) comes to around $40/month.

For inexpensive furniture, I used Goodwill/Salvation Army.  Without a car, you'd have to find someone to drive you to transport things, but that's where I got both my desk and dresser, which are quite nice and should last a while.  There's both a Goodwill and a Salvation Army in Hadley and another Goodwill over in Northampton.  There are also a zillion mattress stores, which will generally also sell you a cheap bedframe, so you can look around for the best prices.

Not sure if you've already settled on a place to live or know about this, but I highly recommend umoch, UMass's off-campus housing website.  It's how I found my first place up here, and it's a great place to get connected with other students who are looking for a place to live or people who have a place and are looking for additional roommates.

thanks so much for your help, SiraRaven!!

I followed your advice and found a place on UMOCH! :)

• 6 months later...

I am considering attending UMass in the Fall, but am trying to figure out costs first. I would like to be able to rent a one bedroom (no roommates), keep my car (insurance/gas), eat/drink, perhaps be able to drink a Starbucks once in a while ; ), and pay my bills on time (utilities, internet, cable, etc), and be in a safe area. I don't go to bars, nightclubs, etc, but would like to go to the movies perhaps once a month. How much do you think I need to have per month to afford that 'comfortably'? Aaahhh...and I don't know if this matters, but I am a gay man in my late 30s, so I need to be somewhere safe also.

P.S.: One more thing, be far away from rambunctious undergrads. :angry:

Thanks...

I'm not sure about monthly costs, because that's a very personal thing... There are shelters where you can get free food in the mornings if you really need to, buses to avoid racking up gas prices... All sorts of ways to cut costs! :) But for housing, I have a lot of info. Here's a brief overview, because I have lived everywhere, lol:

First of all, the whole area is pretty liberal. The only problems I run into with people come from undergrads. They're pretty easy to avoid, though.

Northampton is a wonderful town! It has an awesome scene, lots of bars, independent stores, coffee shops, music halls with lots of performances... And it's where Questionable Content (the webcomic) takes place! And I personally like Diva's, which is a gay club that a lot of students and locals go to. Lots of fun! :D Because of the area, it's pretty accessible to meet people of the same sex (not sure if you're looking or not)... The people are generally awesome! But since NoHo is a bit far, and can be a pain to commute to / from, you might want to consider the Hadley area, somewhere between UMass and Northampton. (Plus, Hadley is a bit cheaper!)

If you lived in Hadley, you'd be near all the stores you'd need. The bus to UMass from there isn't as regular as some others (some come every 15 minutes and since places might be on a route with two buses, it's like every 8 minutes; Hadley's bus is every 20 minutes during normal hours).

As for costs: if you're willing to, say, take a private room in a house (spots which the locals usually give preference to grad students), it's usually between $350-500, depending on location. Regular 1br apartments can be $700-900. That being said, there are a lot of places where you can split 2br apartments for prices like $300-500, depending how nice a place you want. There are reliable apartment complexes in the area, so you can expect similar rates around.

Sunderland is another town nearby with a bunch of housing and apartments, but it's also a longer trip to things like the grocery store at that point. That being said, it's freakin' beautiful around there; farms, mountains,... It's only like 15 minutes from campus, but more like 20 to the stores. It's quieter, there aren't as many party-hardy undergrads out there; in my experience, it's more seniors who are ready to graduate, and non-students. :)

[bUT HOLY CRAP DON'T GO TO SUGARLOAF ESTATES. They look nice. They're a nightmare. If you seriously consider them, please message me first. I have warnings to give.]

North Amherst is awesome if you go far enough. It's close enough to regular buses, but still just out of ugrad party distance. But the string of apartments just north of campus is an undergrad party zone. By your description, you do not want to live there. If you're interested in North Amherst, make sure it's at the border of or beyond Pine Street.

Are you bringing a car? A pet? A roommate?

And here's the UMass housing resource, if you're interested (I've never used it): http://www.umocss.org/

I am considering attending UMass in the Fall, but am trying to figure out costs first. I would like to be able to rent a one bedroom (no roommates), keep my car (insurance/gas), eat/drink, perhaps be able to drink a Starbucks once in a while ; ), and pay my bills on time (utilities, internet, cable, etc), and be in a safe area. I don't go to bars, nightclubs, etc, but would like to go to the movies perhaps once a month. How much do you think I need to have per month to afford that 'comfortably'? Aaahhh...and I don't know if this matters, but I am a gay man in my late 30s, so I need to be somewhere safe also.

P.S.: One more thing, be far away from rambunctious undergrads. :angry:

Thanks...

I grew up in Amherst and it's a very safe place to live. I would say for a 1 bedroom place you're looking at 800-900 in rent alone. Everybody is super liberal there so you shouldn't really feel uncomfortable based on sexual orientation. The areas I would avoid are the North Village apartment area (lots of low income housing, and graduate student housing there so it's usually not very safe). Gas right now is about 3.40-3.60/gallon based on the last time I visited a couple of weeks ago. If you're trying to live peacefully there are a ton of people who rent out single room additions in their homes, I would keep an eye out for situations like that. There is an independent theater in town as well as a regular cinema in Hadley (about 10 minutes drive away). I would say budget $1,000-1,200 to live comfortably. Amherst does charge excise tax on vehicles so maybe live in one of the neighboring towns where rent is cheaper.

I'm not sure about monthly costs, because that's a very personal thing... There are shelters where you can get free food in the mornings if you really need to, buses to avoid racking up gas prices... All sorts of ways to cut costs! :) But for housing, I have a lot of info. Here's a brief overview, because I have lived everywhere, lol:

First of all, the whole area is pretty liberal. The only problems I run into with people come from undergrads. They're pretty easy to avoid, though.

Northampton is a wonderful town! It has an awesome scene, lots of bars, independent stores, coffee shops, music halls with lots of performances... And it's where Questionable Content (the webcomic) takes place! And I personally like Diva's, which is a gay club that a lot of students and locals go to. Lots of fun! :D Because of the area, it's pretty accessible to meet people of the same sex (not sure if you're looking or not)... The people are generally awesome! But since NoHo is a bit far, and can be a pain to commute to / from, you might want to consider the Hadley area, somewhere between UMass and Northampton. (Plus, Hadley is a bit cheaper!)

If you lived in Hadley, you'd be near all the stores you'd need. The bus to UMass from there isn't as regular as some others (some come every 15 minutes and since places might be on a route with two buses, it's like every 8 minutes; Hadley's bus is every 20 minutes during normal hours).

As for costs: if you're willing to, say, take a private room in a house (spots which the locals usually give preference to grad students), it's usually between $350-500, depending on location. Regular 1br apartments can be $700-900. That being said, there are a lot of places where you can split 2br apartments for prices like $300-500, depending how nice a place you want. There are reliable apartment complexes in the area, so you can expect similar rates around.

Sunderland is another town nearby with a bunch of housing and apartments, but it's also a longer trip to things like the grocery store at that point. That being said, it's freakin' beautiful around there; farms, mountains,... It's only like 15 minutes from campus, but more like 20 to the stores. It's quieter, there aren't as many party-hardy undergrads out there; in my experience, it's more seniors who are ready to graduate, and non-students. :)

[bUT HOLY CRAP DON'T GO TO SUGARLOAF ESTATES. They look nice. They're a nightmare. If you seriously consider them, please message me first. I have warnings to give.]

North Amherst is awesome if you go far enough. It's close enough to regular buses, but still just out of ugrad party distance. But the string of apartments just north of campus is an undergrad party zone. By your description, you do not want to live there. If you're interested in North Amherst, make sure it's at the border of or beyond Pine Street.

Are you bringing a car? A pet? A roommate?

And here's the UMass housing resource, if you're interested (I've never used it): http://www.umocss.org/

Thanks a lot for the tips! I am hoping I won't need the shelters, but it is always good to know that I have options though. ;) I am planning to ride the bus, and whenever/if weather allows, even ride my bike to school. I heard it is a pretty bikeable area, right? Besides, I need to lose some (i.e. a lot) weight also.

No, I won't be looking for anything nor do I plan on partaking on the gay day/nightlife--boring and partnered here. :(  But it's great to know that the area is pretty liberal and safe.

Living by myself (having my own kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom) is THE MOST important thing for me. I am very easy going, but don't enjoy sharing places or living in someone else's house. Besides, my partner will be coming to visit me every now and then, and so will [hopefully] my babies (three pugs), so I don't have to deal with being mindful of roommates. So I guess, that answers two of your questions (1) no one is coming with me and (2) my dogs will stay home with my husband. And yes, I am bringing my car, though I hope to use it only on weekends or to run errands.

I think someone mentioned SugarLoaf Estates before, and after your advice, I will absolutely steer clear of them! Are there any companies or complexes you would particularly recommend?

Many thanks for all the info!

Edited by BuddingScholar

I grew up in Amherst and it's a very safe place to live. I would say for a 1 bedroom place you're looking at 800-900 in rent alone. Everybody is super liberal there so you shouldn't really feel uncomfortable based on sexual orientation. The areas I would avoid are the North Village apartment area (lots of low income housing, and graduate student housing there so it's usually not very safe). Gas right now is about 3.40-3.60/gallon based on the last time I visited a couple of weeks ago. If you're trying to live peacefully there are a ton of people who rent out single room additions in their homes, I would keep an eye out for situations like that. There is an independent theater in town as well as a regular cinema in Hadley (about 10 minutes drive away). I would say budget $1,000-1,200 to live comfortably. Amherst does charge excise tax on vehicles so maybe live in one of the neighboring towns where rent is cheaper.

Wow, that's super helpful! Thank you so much!

Those single room additions are like small one bedroom apartments (separate entrance, with its own kitchen, bathroom and living room)? If so, that sounds like a good idea! Do they tend to be cheaper than apartment complexes/condos? I am VERY quiet, don't drink, don't smoke and my version of partying is going out to eat and see a movie. Besides, I foresee being in school or busy working all the time.

cheers,

Wow, that's super helpful! Thank you so much!

Those single room additions are like small one bedroom apartments (separate entrance, with its own kitchen, bathroom and living room)? If so, that sounds like a good idea! Do they tend to be cheaper than apartment complexes/condos? I am VERY quiet, don't drink, don't smoke and my version of partying is going out to eat and see a movie. Besides, I foresee being in school or busy working all the time.

cheers,

One of my neighbors living just north of campus (in the  neighborhood directly across from the school of management) I think actually outfitted the space above the garage with all the amenities in a studio style loft, so it really depends on your preferences. There is a lot of housing in the surrounding regions, living alone is expensive though. A fully equipped single bedroom apartment is upwards of $1000. There is plenty of housing so just shop around until you find what you like in a comfortable price range.

• 1 month later...

Would one live reasonably comfortable with 24k a year in Amherst/Northampton/etc area? One person, no pets, but wanting my own one bedroom apartment with no roommates. I have car that is paid-off, but am financially responsible for a child who does not live with me.

Thank you for the help!

Depends on where you live. You can get a room in a house for $400-600, but most apartments are $900+. Most people have roommates. If you are at UMass, they have subsidized college apartments which I think all UMass students can rent.

The area is quite expensive in terms of living expenses. Grocery shopping is expensive in the towns, so you need a car to go to one of the two malls in the area. I shop at Walmart, Trader Joe's, and sometimes Wholefoods, and I leave about $60-80 at all three places just for snacks/necessities (I am on meal plan). You can join a co-op though. Drinks are $8 or so. An entree at a restaurant will be $10-15+tax. Northampton has a lot of faux-hippie upmarket shops where you can buy a pair of New Balance sneakers for $90, for instance. But if you have a car, there are malls and by-the-road type places that are inconvenient for college students to go to, so prices there are less. Public transport on the PVTA is free for students. The area is home to a couple vibrant towns (Noho and Amherst p much), but a lot of people especially over a 5+ year period get a little stir-crazy and like to escape to Boston for the weekends, which is, you know, 140 miles of gas + expenses.

I have some friends going to grad school here who survive on 13-18k stipends (humanities... don't get me started on UMass humanities), but they all have part-time jobs. Jobs here are also pretty hard to come by because of how big the colleges are relative to the supporting economy.

If you prefer not to live in Noho or Amherst, Easthampton and Florence are also worth a look.

Edited by ExponentialDecay

Hello everybody!

Does anyone have any insights on Hathaway Farms (townhouses) and/or Hampton Court apartments both in Northampton? Are they nice, safe, rid of noisy undergrads, on the bus route, conveniently located, etc?

I am having to secure a place to live completely online, without ever visiting it in person, so I hope you guys can shed some light, please.

Thank you!

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'll be starting at UMass in the fall and am starting to look for apartments and roommates. I'm hoping to visit sometime in the summer, and I can possibly also visit in May. Can anyone comment on the best time to visit and/or the time that leases starting in August/September will be most available?

Thanks!