New School for Social Research - MA in General Psychology

jenniferlauren12

I just applied to the NSSR's General Psych MA program for Fall '12. I'm really really excited/hoping to get in! I was wondering if y'all could tell me anything about your experiences there (professors, classes, program in general, etc). Thanks so much in advance!

Edited by jenniferlauren12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you guys know that I called NYU admissions and they basically said over the phone I was waitlisted. Guess it's better than being rejected! Does anyone have an idea of how many people they put on waitlist? I wonder what my chances of being accepted are.

Kind of a lot. Each incoming cohort has maybe 80 people? Youll definitely be taking some lectures that will feel a little bit like undergrad.

Thanks for letting me know! Thats a little more than I thought, but way better than most programs :) I'm going to the accepted students event out here in LA so hopefully I'll get to meet a few of those cohorts!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I called NYU admissions and they basically said over the phone I was waitlisted. Guess it's better than being rejected! Does anyone have an idea of how many people they put on waitlist? I wonder what my chances of being accepted are.

I've been seeing on blogs that NYU has been really lagging with getting back to people. I'm still waiting to hear back from NYU Gallatin actually. But NSSR was my top choice, so either way I'm good. And yes wait-listed is still good! I'm sure tons of people won't accept the offer and then you're in. good luck!

Hi Jennifer, sent you a PM.

If anybody else is interested in this program, feel free to send me a PM as well. :)

Thought of another thing that I can't seem to find the answer to online. How long does it generally take people to finish the MA Psych program? 2 years, or more? Also - can you take classes during the summer?

thank you!!

Hey guys! I am also interested in the MA program in Psychology in NSSR, I am waitlisted and I am waiting for the official decision. They said their deadline to notify me is JULY 1! Can you believe it? JULY 1!!

For those waitlisted or accepted, have you heard any news?

Thought of another thing that I can't seem to find the answer to online. How long does it generally take people to finish the MA Psych program? 2 years, or more? Also - can you take classes during the summer?

thank you!!

Its a 2 year program. If you really want to, you can take summer classes and get it done in three semesters.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I am also interested in the MA program in Psychology in NSSR, I am waitlisted and I am waiting for the official decision. They said their deadline to notify me is JULY 1! Can you believe it? JULY 1!!

For those waitlisted or accepted, have you heard any news?

July 1st seems crazy! I'm so sorry you have to wait that long! hopefully you hear much soon. good luck!

Hey everyone! I got an e-mail from Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts, saying "Thanks for your interest, Over the coming weeks you will receive additional information regarding our curriculum and academic programs, as well as some helpful information about applying for admission and financial aid. You will also receive materials that will allow you to learn about and engage in the Lang community".

Why am I receiving this if I applied to NSSR? It means I am rejected for NSSR, right? Is it possible that they have a newsletter for those who were not accepted in the other divisions of The New School? I am really sure that I never suscribed to anything from Eugene Lang. Can anyone clarify this situation?

Thanks!

Hey everyone! I got an e-mail from Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts, saying "Thanks for your interest, Over the coming weeks you will receive additional information regarding our curriculum and academic programs, as well as some helpful information about applying for admission and financial aid. You will also receive materials that will allow you to learn about and engage in the Lang community".

Why am I receiving this if I applied to NSSR? It means I am rejected for NSSR, right? Is it possible that they have a newsletter for those who were not accepted in the other divisions of The New School? I am really sure that I never suscribed to anything from Eugene Lang. Can anyone clarify this situation?

Thanks!

That is really strange. Maybe it was truly just a glitch that you received that, especially since you didn't even apply to Eugene Lang! I would absolutely call NSSR and ask for some answers. Everyone I've spoken to has been super helpful, so I'm sure you'll have to same experience.

Thanks!

I actually got a ton of emails regarding Eugene Lang while I was waiting to hear back from NSSR (which gave me a heart attack every time). I really don't know why they do that, but I wouldn't assume that it implies a rejection. I got into NSSR with funding in the end.

Thank you so much @Jennifer and @Rockandroll !!! that sounds reassuring... however, day after day I keep running out of hope, and I have a looong wait ahead (July 1st is their notification deadline)

Hugs from Uruguay!