Asian Studies 2009

Genghis

UW is awesome. I would be thrilled to go there-- a lot more than Berkeley, in fact.

Competition there must be tough-- they have so many amazing scholars in so many disciplines within Asian L+L. I imagine every decent applicant in every field of Asian Studies is applying to UW.

Yeah, everyone I know who knows anything about Asian Studies just sings UW-Seattle's praises. One professor when I told her I didn't get into Berkeley literally said to me, "Amen! You don't want to be there anyway. UW-Seattle is the place to be." Plus, it sounds like (at least from this board) unlike other schools they tend to provide some funding. Of course, with the economy the way it is who knows. The only bad part seems to be the competition :).

I was also rejected from Berkeley. East Asia. I've applied to Cornell, NYU, Indiana U and Ohio State as well and haven't heard anything. Does anyone know anything about those programs?

I think someone who applied to NYU for Asian Studies (MA) posted an admit on the results section. Not quite sure if it is trustworthy, though.

Yeah I did see the NYU admit. I'm not sure I believe it. 12/8/08? They said not to even contact them about missing materials, etc. until mid-January (if I remember correctly) since they wouldn't have had time to process the applications yet.

I got rejected from UW today. That one really hurt. Have you ever seen a 6'4" 230 lb guy cry? Well if you were at my house tonight you would have.

i am seriously suicidal at this point. Everything I have worked for in my life thus far has turned to shit. It doesn't help that I am about to get married and am secretly gay. I seriously think I might end it tonight.

From your signature it looks like you have a long list of good schools you haven't heard from yet. I know how crushing a rejection can be, but don't give up. If you're still feeling that way I hope you have someone you can talk to about it.

I got rejected from UW today. That one really hurt. Have you ever seen a 6'4" 230 lb guy cry? Well if you were at my house tonight you would have.

i am seriously suicidal at this point. Everything I have worked for in my life thus far has turned to shit. It doesn't help that I am about to get married and am secretly gay. I seriously think I might end it tonight.

I know that it is painful, and it does feel as if everything we have done so far has come to naught. But honestly, this process is random. It doesn't always reward your hard work. There are still other decisions to come. Take it easy.

Don't give up. This process, as I'm sure you know, is far from scientific. Getting in or not getting in one place tells you very little about your odds elsewhere. Can you find something that makes you happy, however impractical, and indulge? I've been doing a lot of that lately.

Don't give up. This process, as I'm sure you know, is far from scientific. Getting in or not getting in one place tells you very little about your odds elsewhere. Can you find something that makes you happy, however impractical, and indulge? I've been doing a lot of that lately.

Thanks for all the support from you guys. I got some very kind PMs. Don't worry, I wouldn't really do anything drastic, I was extremely drunk when I wrote the above post and was really depressed. I'm ok now though.

Hello, everyone. I've got an admisson from UCLA at 14th. My potential advisor told me they decided to accept only two students this year. However, I'm worrying about California's economy. They couldn't support much than I expected, so I'm waiting for other good news.

Best,

Hello, everyone. I've got an admisson from UCLA at 14th. My potential advisor told me they decided to accept only two students this year. However, I'm worrying about California's economy. They couldn't support much than I expected, so I'm waiting for other good news.

Best,

Congratulations on UCLA, that's awesome.

I'm still waiting to hear from three schools...and feeling very impatient.

Best,

Hi Chris, Looks like we will be classmates!! I just got into UCLA as well! Are you sure they only admitted 2 students? That means it's just you and me! I will send you a PM and maybe we can get to know each other before we go. Are you definitely planning on attending? I really want to go, but let's see if they find us some funding first.

To the above posters who haven't gotten in anywhere yet-- I just realized with this acceptance that the world is not over. Like the above poster, as I told him in a PM, I was devastated by my Washington rejection, and was totally depressed. You guys will all get in somewhere, I hope!

Good luck to you all!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad i finally found this thread!

Any news from Harvard or Stanford? There aren't too many submissions on the admissions results page...

So far I've been accepted at UT Austin (CompLit) and Yale (EALL) and will most probably end up turning down the UT offer (even though they wrote the nicest offer letter) and taking the Yale offer (I still login and check the notification everyday to make sure I'm not crazy). I'm not in the US and kind of wanted to visit campuses if I got accepted at some other Northeastern school. Who's visited/planning on visiting the schools they applied to? Any thoughts?

Leahlearns, what other programs did you apply to?

It's weird and unnerving that they take so long to get back to people. According to the entries on the submissions page, it seems like folks already got results back from Harvard and Stanford sometime last week, so uh - maybe this coming week? :shock:

Leahlearns, what other programs did you apply to?

It's weird and unnerving that they take so long to get back to people. According to the entries on the submissions page, it seems like folks already got results back from Harvard and Stanford sometime last week, so uh - maybe this coming week? :shock:

Did you apply to the master's program or the PhD program? I only applied to master's programs. My interest is regional studies though, not language and lit. There were some posts back in mid-February from people who had been admitted to Harvard's MA program. I'm wondering whether those were made up or not, however. It seems like if they had sent out acceptances over two weeks ago I would have received my rejection by now. I haven't seen anything posted about Stanford's EAS program. I'm hoping this just means that all the programs are on different schedules and not that they're just taking their sweet time shipping off the rejection letters. I'm also waiting on UW-Seattle. I guess the lang and lit program sent out letters earlier this month, but the Chinese Studies program hasn't. I was told I can expect to hear from them in early March. That would commence tomorrow...

By the way, I know someone who is currently in the program at Yale and loves it. I didn't apply because it's a little too close to home for me, but it sounds like a great program. Congrats on your admittance.

Glad i finally found this thread!

Any news from Harvard or Stanford? There aren't too many submissions on the admissions results page...

So far I've been accepted at UT Austin (CompLit) and Yale (EALL) and will most probably end up turning down the UT offer (even though they wrote the nicest offer letter) and taking the Yale offer (I still login and check the notification everyday to make sure I'm not crazy). I'm not in the US and kind of wanted to visit campuses if I got accepted at some other Northeastern school. Who's visited/planning on visiting the schools they applied to? Any thoughts?

I'm visiting UCLA, the place I'm 99% sure I'll be going to (top choice). I'm also in Asia, but moving back to the States at the end of March. I'm buying a one-way ticket from Bangkok to LA, and UCLA is paying for my flight from LA to North Carolina. Most schools will pay for domestic flights, so maybe you could pay for the International flight and have your schools jet you around the US.

Leahlearns: Yeah, I only applied to PhD programs. I didn't know much about the UW Seattle program though, just read up on it after reading older posts on this thread - sounds pretty good indeed. Regarding Stanford, I keep checking the online app thing but it seems from previous submissions that most people find out through email/post. But still, it's hard not to login a few times a day - well, just in case..!

tyler1: thanks for the tip. I need to contact the schools and find out if they could offer anything. Would be neat if people visiting campuses and Asian Studis depts could post back info and stuff, what do you say? :wink: