Perks Offered to Entice Students

Groove

So, I've been thinking about something that pertains to Chemistry interviews and visitation weekends.

Do the schools offer certain perks more than others? For instance, I know that Wake Forest University gives all of their students in their programs computers with tons of software. Also, one school offered me $1,000 as a relocation bonus if I chose to move to their school.

As an aside about this whole procedure, I'm getting completely blindsided because (like an idiot) I had no idea it was actually commonplace for most schools to fly you out for visitation weekends. So, I'm having to reschedule my entire semester to travel on weekends (and I'm a bartender! Work now sucks for me!!!) So, I'm just trying to get some heads up on what certain schools are offering as bonuses in addition to stipends.

I have one that gives $1500 to every incoming graduate student for their research, books, and travel expenses. With fellowship and stipend, it boosts the amount to nearly 30k for the year...very enticing indeed compared to my other offers, but I feel that it all comes down to how well your interests fit with the program.

I'm also a little stuck with planning my visits because there are two that sit on the same weekend. I've been staring at my invitations for quite a while now.. : ( It's silly. March is going to be one heck of a month as well.

I've found that for the schools, many actually are willing to work with you on dates. For instance, I'm going to the national ACS meeting in San Diego right smack dab in the middle of visitation weekends in March. So, I'm having to kindly let people know that I have to reschedule. Also, not happy because I think I'm going to have to do some visitations over spring break, when I planned to be at the beach! Oh well, all in the name of research and education, I guess!

One thing I'll mention to keep in mind with perks and first semester bonuses: Make sure you're not blinded by a really huge first year followed by weaker support in your latter years.

That said, for students that the department really wants, there are a variety of perks and incentives. I know our department has offered people money to help with relocation, a summer salary if they want to move and start early, etc.

For software, our department pays for site subscriptions for the vast majority of anything you'd want to use, so that's all covered.

Our department might not offer computers, but a lot of our research groups use funds to buy computers for their members- or in the case of my group, we requisition the computers the business school no longer wants since they're a year old, and set up desktops in our labs.

I found people to be really flexible with visit times when I was doing it as well- breaks worked out very well for me a couple of times.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that for the schools, many actually are willing to work with you on dates. For instance, I'm going to the national ACS meeting in San Diego right smack dab in the middle of visitation weekends in March. So, I'm having to kindly let people know that I have to reschedule. Also, not happy because I think I'm going to have to do some visitations over spring break, when I planned to be at the beach! Oh well, all in the name of research and education, I guess!

I'm also a little stuck with planning my visits because there are two that sit on the same weekend. I've been staring at my invitations for quite a while now.. : ( It's silly. March is going to be one heck of a month as well.

[a little off-topic] This may actually work to your favor. The grad students already in the program love it when a prospective visits outside of formal visitation days. They get to take you out to eat on the department's dime, and you in turn, get much more time to pick their brains (without having to 'share' that time with other prospective students). You'll likely get a much more realistic feel to what day-to-day work is like for grad students--and get much more time to chat with current students (or just sit and observe benchwork happening when nobody is scheduled to talk with you)--, rather than being herded around in a pack of other admits to tour the fanciest facilities in the department. (Plus, if you go alone, you'll likely get your own hotel room (assuming the visit is funded), rather than having to share a room with one or two other visiting students!) The only real downside is that you don't get to mingle with your potential classmates, but that's no big loss.

Getting back to the original question, one school is offering me an additional $1500, while another is offering a $10,000 "fellowship" the first year on top of the regular student stipend.

Getting back to the original question, one school is offering me an additional $1500, while another is offering a $10,000 "fellowship" the first year on top of the regular student stipend.

Not exactly sure how this pertains to the original question, since they aren't really perks.. You got awarded a fellowship one place, and another upped their offer a bit

You shouldn't decide on your program based on the financial offers, assuming all are livable amounts based on location.