What are you reading?

Kelkel

Why not? I'm planning to read that this summer, after finally getting forced by friends in to watching Game of Thrones (I'd been avoiding it cause I hate starting fiction series that the author hasn't finished writing yet...I've been waiting for the end of one series for almost 20 years...)

Also, I started reading JFC Fuller's analysis of Ulysses Grant's generalship...

Why not? I'm planning to read that this summer, after finally getting forced by friends in to watching Game of Thrones (I'd been avoiding it cause I hate starting fiction series that the author hasn't finished writing yet...I've been waiting for the end of one series for almost 20 years...)

Also, I started reading JFC Fuller's analysis of Ulysses Grant's generalship...

I really should read the Fuller book ... also GRR Martin will string these books out till he is on his deathbed ... he is going to the bank with two middle fingers up

I've already read Fuller's Grant and Lee, and it's excellent. I genuinely enjoyed his analysis, and he made me laugh a few times, too - he just says EXACTLY what he thinks, even when it's saying things along the lined of, "such and such was a terrible decision and that's why Lee is way over rated." I'm hoping for the same, er, candor in this one. :)

Robert Jordan already died on me. If I start the series and Martin dies without finishing...I'm gonna resurrect him and kill him again....

Edited by unforth

I've already read Fuller's Grant and Lee, and it's excellent. I genuinely enjoyed his analysis, and he made me laugh a few times, too - he just says EXACTLY what he thinks, even when it's saying things along the lined of, "such and such was a terrible decision and that's why Lee is way over rated." I'm hoping for the same, er, candor in this one. :)

Robert Jordan already died on me. If I start the series and Martin dies without finishing...I'm gonna resurrect him and kill him again....

this is the one part of academia I am not looking forward to: having to tailor research to fit from a narrative that I may not agree with

ProQuest has a database entitled "Dissertations & Theses" that is in all likelihood available through your school's library.

And if it isn't, you might be able to order a copy of it here.

this is the one part of academia I am not looking forward to: having to tailor research to fit from a narrative that I may not agree with

Could you expand on this a little bit? I'm a little confused on the difference between your own contribution and an existing narrative. Granted this isn't a research thread, so PM me if you want to discuss more on it.

Could you expand on this a little bit? I'm a little confused on the difference between your own contribution and an existing narrative. Granted this isn't a research thread, so PM me if you want to discuss more on it.

Oh I was pointing out how Fuller can eviscerate a historical figure but me being a master's student I can't really do that and must take a measured approach because if you take a too controversial position it makes your own defense very difficult, was all I was trying to clumsily say.

And if it isn't, you might be able to order a copy of it here.

ProQuest has a database entitled "Dissertations & Theses" that is in all likelihood available through your school's library.

Thanks, you two. Much appreciated.

Oh I was pointing out how Fuller can eviscerate a historical figure but me being a master's student I can't really do that and must take a measured approach because if you take a too controversial position it makes your own defense very difficult, was all I was trying to clumsily say.

Ah, the woes of the untenured scholar. I feel your pain. My field is politically sensitive in the extreme so even a well-founded argument against the accepted narrative is unwelcome.

On the other hand, I've been advised that my MA thesis will disappear into the ether as far as my future career is concerned. If your advisor is on board with your desired evisceration, you may be able to let 'er rip.

Edited by triplebogey