Tufts

DrErica

I saw today on the Results that someone who applied to the Psych program at Tufts heard from their potential advisors. Congrats!!!

If you can - would you share what area you applied to? I'm ANXIOUSLY waiting to hear from Tufts - it was the ONLY school I applied at and I couldn't possibly be more nervous that I am right now!!

Thanks!

Thank you so much for responding!

I applied to the Biological area...so I'm still holding out hope to hear from them :) I looked through the results from last year and it seems most acceptance notices went out the first week in March, so if I don't hear anything by mid-march than I'll start to worry!

I was wondering about their interview protocol - I didn't see anything about it on their webpage (which was definitely lacking a lot of information in my opinion - like average GRE scores and GPAs!) and didn't know if they did formal interviews. Do you know anything about that? Did you just set up phone interviews with your POIs?

Sorry for all the questions - Tufts is my one and only choice so I have a lot riding on this!

I hope your interview goes well and we both start in the Fall at Tufts! :D

I'm so glad to finally find some fellow Tufts applicants!

Lets all please update eachother if we hear anything! The wait is driving me nuts - checking my email a thousand times a day, checking their online status equally as crazy - I just want to know lol.

I'm still searching for some admissions stats for them. How many people typically apply? get in? Average stats for those admitted?

Why does Tufts do this to us!? :)

I'm becoming more bald as we speak lol.

I only applied there for a few different reasons.

1. I really liked their program/professors/interests

2. I didn't find any other schools that I 'fell in love with'

3. I couldn't afford to send out many app's

4. I soooo want to live up north (in Florida now)

I could have applied to a few others, money would have been a slight issue, but the biggest reason is because I really thought about it and asked myself "Would I actually go there if I got accepted"...and for every school except Tufts the answer was 'probably not'.

So - I am DREADING any email/notification from Tufts because it is the end-all-be-all for me!

Plus - I had no idea how hard Tufts was to get into (according to the websites I've been reading) so knowing that, I'm not sure what my chances even are :( I just want the waiting to be over!!

I have an informal phone interview with a professor at Tufts tomorrow. I was the one to initiate it, but they've seen my app. by now and haven't canceled it, so I take that as a reasonably good sign! I am reapplying after being wait listed for Fall 2007.

did they send out rejections by this time last year?

stressful, they're my first choice!

According to the Results Search here - most notifications were sent out in early march in 2008 and 2007. I absolutely, positively CANNOT wait that long! Another MONTH!!!

Argh - I'm actually getting behind on finishing my thesis and grading papers for my classes because I'm so worried sick about this lol. Well - that's the excuse I'm using anyways :)

LadyL and Cupcake - what areas did you apply to? Who is your POI?

For me it's Biopsychology, and Drs. Cook and Debold....I'm curious to know if anyone has heard from that area!!

I applied for "experimental clinical psychology" with Drs. Shin and Kuperberg. Spoke with Dr. Shin today. As always I feel like a moron after phone interviews. But she was nice and complimentary in a noncommittal about acceptance kind of way :). Of course I am worried that I didn't give the "right" answers, but I was honest, if somewhat disorganized in my thoughts at times. Who knows. At least it's over with.

Well congrats on even getting a phone interview! I looked up Dr. Kiln and she has done some very interesting research! I initally wanted to do Clinical Neuropsych...but changed my mind after hearing all the horror stories about clinical programs and talking to some clinicans who are very unhappy with their careers!

What kind of questions did she ask? Did she give any indication as to when final choices would be made? I'm starting to feel as though most of the applications have been reviewed, at least partially, and if I don't hear something soon about some sort of interview than I may need to start working on my plan B.

Sorry for all the questions - I know all this worrying won't change my chances of getting accepted or not, but I can't help it :)

What kind of questions did she ask? Did she give any indication as to when final choices would be made? I'm starting to feel as though most of the applications have been reviewed, at least partially, and if I don't hear something soon about some sort of interview than I may need to start working on my plan B.

She asked about my work style, my research experience, what made me interested in the program, conflicts I've dealt with in the workplace...mostly standard job interview stuff. She didn't say anything about time lines at all. When I was wait listed last time around I found out in early March.

Thanks for the info LadyL :)

I couldn't take it anymore and broke down and emailed them today lol. My prof said it wouldn't be inappropriate to just ask where the admissions committee was at in the decision process so I did and got the standard reply

"We are in the process of evaluating applications"

BLAH! I just want to know when to expect a decision so I can quit stressing until then!

Hi all,

Tufts is also one of my top choices (for Social). I broke down and emailed the contact person in the psych. department, asking what stage of the process the admissions committee is in. She replied that they expect to start notifying people by next week or so. Not too much longer!!

Good luck to you all... fingers crossed! :)

Nilla - Thanks for the update!!!

I had to break down and email them last week also - at least you could hold off longer than I did lol.

To the person that posted in the results search - which area did you apply to? If you don't mind sharing :)

Sorry to hear you wern't accepted - but it sounds like their just waiting on funding! At least you heard something and it wasn't a rejection!!

Hey everyone - just got an email from Tufts - I'm waitlisted AGAIN! I compared the waitlist email from 07 to the one today, and the recent one is definitely more positive - they specified that they hope to take more students off the waitlist and that it's dependent on funding. Assuming the POI who interviewed me is the one who's interested, I know she has a grant in review that was scored favorably, so maybe if that comes through that will fund an RAship for me. But I have no idea if it's her or the other POI who's interested, and am wondering if I should ask.

Hmm...well I'm assuming since both people who were waitlisted today had interviews and I didn't that I'm not even in the running :(

While I still haven't heard anything from anyone applying to the area I did (biological) I suspect that if the two areas you both applied to have made their acceptance and waitlist decisions that mine did as well and I need to start working on my Plan B.

Oh, sad day.

[note to self, apply to more than one program next year!]

Nilla - Thanks for the update!!!

I had to break down and email them last week also - at least you could hold off longer than I did lol.

To the person that posted in the results search - which area did you apply to? If you don't mind sharing :)

Sorry to hear you wern't accepted - but it sounds like their just waiting on funding! At least you heard something and it wasn't a rejection!!

You're welcome!

It was me who posted on the results page, and I applied to social psych.

It does look like it's been a funding issue, which is encouraging I guess.

Hmm...so am I correct in assuming than that everyone here who applied to Tufts has either been waitlisted or has heard nothing?

Not one single acceptance yet? That's not encouraging!

I do know my POI mentioned possible funding issues - I wonder if the whole department is going through that and how many students, if any, they will be accepting!

My view on waitlisting is that it means one of two things:

1. They have made their decisions on who they will offer admission to and none of those people happen to frequent this board

2. They are all waiting to hear about funding and don't want to offer admission to anyone yet.

The second theory sounds more encouraging to those who have been waitlisted!

Good luck to us all :)