To tell or not to tell

linden

I effectively gave 9 months notice as my boss was also my LOR. However, I have kept it quiet internally outside of management. I don't know how it all will play out but I could get cut earlier (by 1-2 months) if threatened job cuts are approved or leave on my own accord as planned (saving someone else's job). But this is all theoretical. I havent gotten notice yet and no budget decisions have been made.

Wow. It seems like I work at the best place ever. I'm a high school teacher, and I told everyone in July that I was going to start grad school apps. Two of my bosses wrote LORs and were highly supportive. They said they were sorry I was leaving but that they understood. Plus, I'm going through the same thing as my senior students... applications, GREs (SATs for them), essay writing, the waiting game... and admins also like the "example" I'm setting for the kiddos: go and pursue your dreams. (They all know I'm leaving the rather juicy paycheck I get at my international school for 5 years of ramen noodles.)

The one weird thing was that I had to tell admins before the hiring season that I would not be returning the next school year--and that was in November, but they were kind enough to extend my deadline until January. By then, fortunately I had already gone through an interview with positive prospects, but I kept frowning at the possibility of being left with no grad school and no job in August. Not the case though... very happy about that!

I'm not telling anyone except for those closest to me until its a definite, because I currently work in a field in the throes of severe budget cuts, and I figure if I made it a well known thing that I was planning on going back to school that I'd be one of the first people they wouldn't bring back in for next year. I'd like to have the option to continue working next year if things don't work out with admissions in the coming weeks. With that being said, I'm at the very bottom of the totem pole and its likely positions that I'm seeking will be gone in the next few months anyway. I guess another big reason I'm not telling that many people is because some people wouldn't understand why I want to go back to school, and I don't feel like explaining that reason every other day until school starts in August.

Now that I've said all of that, if I get into my top choice it is going to be extremely hard to go the next several months without telling people where I'm going.

Best of luck to everyone!

I'm in a similar situation to a lot of you. I've only been workign for the company I'm at since last summer, but they've spent a lot of time and energy integrating me into the team, and have made plans way down the line based upon the assumption that I would be there. Well, I won't, because I have a great offer I'm going to take. And moreover, it looks like I'll only be able to work here for three more months at the max. The question is, do I tell them now, and help them facilitate the changeover, or wait and give them only a month, where they won't have the option of replacing me before I'm ready to go (read: ready to give up a paycheck).

It's a tough call, and I certainly don't want to screw them over. Then again, I also don't want to work in a hostile/awkward environment or lose my job.

Sucks.

I haven't told my employer yet either and I feel like scum. I literally just got hired at my new job and they have made major assumptions based on the idea that I will be around for at least a year. The other day, my boss told me to start hiring new teachers (I'm a preschool teacher at a brand new school) so that we can start really expanding. You know what he said?

"Make sure they're going to be around for at least a year like you. Parents send their children to our school because they like the teachers. Teacher stability is of utmost importance."

. . . I almost told him right then and there out of guilt. However, I really really need the money until I get my first stipend check in August. I can't afford for him to decide to just replace me with a new teacher while "expanding."

fade in dreams: As a mother of an almost three year old I can tell you that after you have your child, your sense of fairness changes. When you have to decide what is best for your child or former employer. Trust me, there is no contest and if your employer has kids they will understand, if they don't, well, they will never understand you..... After the first two months of your child's life you won't even remember what your boss's face looks like. By the way, I know that sounds crazy....

• 2 weeks later...