Political sociology

Waits

Those are my interest areas, and I applied to UNC, Duke, UCSB, UCI, Indiana, UMass Amherst, and a couple of others that I'm less interested in. Some of those were driven more by my interest in the role that race plays in political discourse, but most are tied to political sociology/movement stuff in general. How about yourself?

I'm interested in social movements but not really of a political sense. I'm more interested in interest and identity groups and their ability to mobilize in terms of destigmatization and making a better public perception of their group. I am especially interested in how the internet made it possible for groups made of members highly stigmatized and/or scattered groups to organize groups based on their shared identity and the possibility for social mobilization.

It's an exciting field as there isn't much precedent and many angles to pursue it from. Indiana, which just requested an interview, seemed to be great fit as well as Northwestern, UCLA, Berkeley, Princeton, and many other of the schools I applied to. All are great fits for very different reasons.

I listed social movements as an interest as wel. Some of the programs I put political sociology if they had strong political sociology departments and others I left it off (although I am interested in political sociology just as much I just didn't want to be rejected for listening something unrepresented in the department).

NYU, PSU, Notre Dame, Purdue, UW-Seattle, UCI, UCSD, Yale

I think political sociology is well covered at many of top schools... it seems that not only do they have faculty working on those issues, but recent star graduates, such as those being placed into excellent teaching jobs or post-docs, seem to be doing work in those areas. I noticed some amazing graduate profiles doing work in political sociology/social movements when looking at the grad students at Stanford, UCLA, Cal, and Harvard). Looking at their profiles and research actually made me feel a bit intimidated that their accomplishments are the standard as to what I should strive to be with in 5-6 years.

I am largely focused on the strategies and tactics adopted by various social movements. My honors thesis (in progress) is exploring this very issue. I am theorizing that tactics are not just an issue of the resources available to particular groups, but that the political ideology of individual actors can influence the choice of tactics.

I am largely focused on the strategies and tactics adopted by various social movements. My honors thesis (in progress) is exploring this very issue. I am theorizing that tactics are not just an issue of the resources available to particular groups, but that the political ideology of individual actors can influence the choice of tactics.

well... yea - paulo freire (also see banned books in Tucson, AZ) :mellow: if you haven't, then check Ann Swidler re Cultural Tool Kit... and for a cogent definition of "tactics", you should probably read up on your De Certeau. SUERTE! :)

A thread of our very own! Cool.

I'm a political sociology, movements, and political culture person. Research in the past has focused on movements and media systems. That's a direction I want to continue in grad school.

I applied to Harvard, UNC:CH, UT Austin, NYU, CUNY, UC Irvine, and UC Santa Barbara.

I'm really concerned about choosing between schools that accept me (assuming more than one scool accepts me, which could be assuming a lot :mellow: ). As noted already, the top departments all have one or two very strong movement scholars. But, Irvine, which is not strictly speaking a top tier school, seems like social movement studies heaven! It's going to be very hard to make a decision between a top ranked school with a couple of great faculty, and a lower ranked school that's a social movements powerhouse.

A thread of our very own! Cool.

I'm a political sociology, movements, and political culture person. Research in the past has focused on movements and media systems. That's a direction I want to continue in grad school.

I applied to Harvard, UNC:CH, UT Austin, NYU, CUNY, UC Irvine, and UC Santa Barbara.

I'm really concerned about choosing between schools that accept me (assuming more than one scool accepts me, which could be assuming a lot :mellow: ). As noted already, the top departments all have one or two very strong movement scholars. But, Irvine, which is not strictly speaking a top tier school, seems like social movement studies heaven! It's going to be very hard to make a decision between a top ranked school with a couple of great faculty, and a lower ranked school that's a social movements powerhouse.

Politics of protest is a great book, and David Meyer would be an awesome adviser. I wouldn't think twice if you get an offer to Irvine, take it!

Politics of protest is a great book, and David Meyer would be an awesome adviser. I wouldn't think twice if you get an offer to Irvine, take it!

I agree! Actually, hard to say who would be a good advisor until I meet them. But regardless. I'm also a huge fan of Polletta and Snow, and the gang's all there! On the other hand, I have a "bird in hand" from a top program that's notably strong with social movements. The methodological fit is perhaps snugger at Irvine, but I'm open to work outside my comfort zone if it means a job down the line. We shall see come decision time.

Here's a question for you political sociologists: Methods? I know it's early to tell, but I think most people have a sense of what sorts of questions interest them and what sorts of methods might be used to tackle those questions. So what are your prefered methods? Any sweet mixed-methodologies out there?

SocialGroovements, I totally agree about Irvine, I think it sounds really exciting. I have a sense that in the States people who work on that stuff know how good it is, as well. Since I plan to move back to Europe to work I felt I'd prefer somewhere a little more recognisable on this side of the pond, but otherwise I would definitely applied there.

Methods wise, I'd like to get into ethnography and participant observation, but they are I would say challenging in terms of practicalities within a PhD. I've no experience of quant stuff, but I'm more open to them than I used to be - I like maths though, which is a good start.

I'm interested in political sociology, social movements, and demography, particularly in the former Soviet Union. Maybe it was a sign that 3 days after I submitted my application, 100,000 protestors spilled into the streets of Moscow? *crosses fingers*

I'm interested in political sociology, social movements, and demography, particularly in the former Soviet Union. Maybe it was a sign that 3 days after I submitted my application, 100,000 protestors spilled into the streets of Moscow? *crosses fingers*

It is definitely an interesting and exciting time for social movement scholars. Where all did you apply?

It is definitely an interesting and exciting time for social movement scholars. Where all did you apply?

Just UW. I'm anchored to Seattle for the time-being. This is my 2nd round - I applied in 2009 to a number of schools, and got rejected from all but UW, where I was wait-listed. This year, I put way more hours into my application, had two more years of professional experience in the labor movement, and met with three professors whose publications fall into my area of study. I don't have a Master's, however, so that may be my plan B if UW doesn't work out. This year they are reviewing 208 applications for 12-18 positions, so it's statistically probable that I'll have to fall back on plan B!