maryland

Not me, and my bf didn't hear either... Sunday is weird. Could be a McNair or other big fellowship as in precious years the Jan notifications mentioned things like that. I definitely think with the early deadline it'll be soon... Agh.

How do you see the results board? Do you have to have applied?

On the top of this page click on results survey tab. Then type in the program you want to see. I generally search program name English (ex: Maryland English), so the results I will see will be related to the English applicants. Then you can see if anyone has been accepted yet, waitlisted, rejected, whatever...if someone has gotten a decision and they submit the result to the board it will be there. When we reference the results board, it is not the school's website.

From Maryland's Application page:

After the review is completed, you will receive a letter with the decision recommendation in the mail. Decision information cannot be given out over the phone or in email correspondence.

Strange that they would break their own rule.

A lot of programs have policies like this so that they can have something to point to when they get 200 panicked applicants calling and emailing about their statuses. It's pretty normal to get email or phone acceptances (in addition to a letter, which would generally come later), with or without this kind of "official" policy.

After the review is completed, you will receive a letter with the decision recommendation in the mail. Decision information cannot be given out over the phone or in email correspondence.

A lot of programs have policies like this so that they can have something to point to when they get 200 panicked applicants calling and emailing about their statuses. It's pretty normal to get email or phone acceptances (in addition to a letter, which would generally come later), with or without this kind of "official" policy.

This is my first go-round, so thanks for clearing that up. U of M's application page didn't seem to have anywhere with an Application 'Status' so I'm guessing it's mail, email, or phone with them.

The Maryland posting bums me out because I foolishly thought, "Aw, the schools won't notify on the weekends," and I made a promise to myself that Saturday and Sunday would be the two days every week that I wouldn't go into admissions-decision-freakout mode. I live overseas, so I even calculated the time differences so that I knew specifically when I could stop compulsively checking my cell phone battery and email account. Now, I'm back to worrying all the time.

Last year they made calls to people that were admitted. I think this disclaimer is so that people do not continuously call or email the department to check to see if there has been a decision made. They did send out generic emails telling you to go check the school website when a decision had been made.

jma310, I think your possibly right, but I didn't apply to Maryland, so I have no idea how their process works. (I'm only here because any movement on the boards makes my heart flutter.) I'm assuming many of you did apply there, so I hope everyone hears good news from them soon.

I think MD might have a waiting list for the waitlist. So if the original acceptee in a sub-field declines, and then the officially waitlisted candidates in a sub-field decline, they'll accept the first person in line on the "second list."

No:

"I was asking about a fellowship and was told that I was on the 'second list,' but that they wouldn't be able to send out second-list notifications until April. I don't believe they have sent out any notifications yet."

This person only found out through an inquiry. But that's how it is likely to happen once they do -- accepted students decline, notified waitlisters decline, "second list" waitlisters get called. If you search for the MD thread from last year called "Maryland Acceptance," you'll see mention of this list, and a post by someone who got a call on 4/18 but had already accepted elsewhere. The director also told a waistlisted candidate to let her know if she'd be declining so she could notify another person behind her that he or she was on the waitlist.

aztecson... please expound. thanks!

Well, my POI, with whom I have not had too much contact, called me Sunday morning to tell me that I was admitted and that the official letter of acceptance would be mailed out soon.

I've no idea about financials--it didn't occur to me to ask since I was thunderstruck that this scholar I admire so much was calling me to give me acceptance to a school in my top three. And, wow: I thought it was the credit card people.

I'm sure this isn't much help. And I'm worried now that I've done something wrong by outing myself as the Maryland admit. I mean, can divulging this hurt me somehow? This process has made me

paranoid.

(And I do feel a little guilty for this acceptance, quite frankly.)

No:

"I was asking about a fellowship and was told that I was on the 'second list,' but that they wouldn't be able to send out second-list notifications until April. I don't believe they have sent out any notifications yet."

This person only found out through an inquiry. But that's how it is likely to happen once they do -- accepted students decline, notified waitlisters decline, "second list" waitlisters get called. If you search for the MD thread from last year called "Maryland Acceptance," you'll see mention of this list, and a post by someone who got a call on 4/18 but had already accepted elsewhere. The director also told a waistlisted candidate to let her know if she'd be declining so she could notify another person behind her that he or she was on the waitlist.

Hey everyone. I posted this to the results board while I was lurking. I have since created an account, mostly because the anticipation finally got to me. I had to talk to other people who has lost their minds waiting.

I figured I would share what I know, since I have in my signature that I have been wait-listed at UMD.

I emailed the DGS a few weeks ago. I applied for a Fulbright scholarship to do research in Finland starting in the fall (if I get it). I recently found out I was a finalist, and my application has been forwarded to Finland for final review. I emailed some departments asking about potential deferrals, in case I receive the grant and am admitted.

No other schools mentioned my status, but Maryland said:

"You did not make our first cut, but are on our second list."

I don't know how they know I'm on the second list if they don't have the first list. If they do have the first list, I don't know why they haven't informed people. I received that email on February 2.

You now know as much as I know. It's a mystery to me why they haven't said anything. :huh:

Edited by Stately Plump