maryland

http://www.testudo.umd.edu/admissions/

some other admissions info site, you have to enter your ID number which can be found under contact information in ASF

Thanks for letting me know. I went to the site and it said no data for user...which is quite weird. You'd think it'd say yay or nay--maybe I'm on one of those back-up wait lists, although the skeptical part of me from this rather abysmal season thus far makes me doubt it lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Received email about visiting weekend today, who else, accepted and waitlisted, are attending? I think I'm going to try to drive down for at least the meeting with Dr. Ray and the professors, maybe lunch or dinner.

I'm going down for the Wednesday portion of the event, but I can't make it for Thursday. See you there?

I'm going down for the Wednesday portion of the event, but I can't make it for Thursday. See you there?

Probably so, at least for the (I imagine) collective meeting with Dr. Ray. Do you know what professors you're requesting to meet with? I'm thinking Richardson, Caramello (if around), maybe Wyatt or Auerbach. No idea what I plan to say, but I'm hoping to make an impression...

Probably so, at least for the (I imagine) collective meeting with Dr. Ray. Do you know what professors you're requesting to meet with? I'm thinking Richardson, Caramello (if around), maybe Wyatt or Auerbach. No idea what I plan to say, but I'm hoping to make an impression...

I think Theresa Coletti and Jane Donawerth. I'm not sure who else. You?

• 4 weeks later...

FYI to anyone waitlisted, I declined my offer today, so hopefully it goes to you!

I saw an acceptance go up today, so perhaps it did indeed!

I removed myself from the wait-list. That probably doesn't help anyone, but you never know!

Declined my offer off of the wait-list today--really liked the department and campus, but Kentucky (and potentially Penn State) is a much better fit for my interests. I will say that anyone interested in African-American/Diaspora studies should really desire to go here, their track record in that field is outstanding.

What did you like about the campus. I never had a chance to visit?

Keep in mind that I live in upstate New York, on a tiny campus, but UM's campus was very spread out with a huge green, and the library was an impressive 8 stories (my own school's is 2). Also, the English building was quite close to the library, also a plus.

What was the general feel overall...urban? That might be a ridiculous question to ask. I come from a big ten school, so I can appreciate size. I have no idea whether it feels like a college campus or feels like part of a larger city. No idea how much it has to do with Baltimore.

Thoughts?

What was the general feel overall...urban? That might be a ridiculous question to ask. I come from a big ten school, so I can appreciate size. I have no idea whether it feels like a college campus or feels like part of a larger city. No idea how much it has to do with Baltimore.

Thoughts?

The College Park campus is about 45 minutes away from Baltimore, and College Park is honestly a pretty mediocre town. D.C. is closer than Baltimore, I think 20-30 min by metro.

The College Park campus is about 45 minutes away from Baltimore, and College Park is honestly a pretty mediocre town. D.C. is closer than Baltimore, I think 20-30 min by metro.

The DC subway has a stop at College Park's campus, so you can access all of DC (i.e., the Folger B) ) via subway from the university.

• 4 weeks later...

i realize i'm pretty late to this party, but i only recently discovered that this website even existed. i'm going to be attending Maryland's PhD program in the fall but i didn't have a chance to go to admitted student's day. i was just kind of wondering what you guys thought of the professors/the program in general. also, i'm really curious about everyone else who's going to be there! what're you guys studying and who are you looking to work with and where are you thinking of living and... other questions you feel like answering?!?!

sorry for any over-enthusiasm; i'm just really excited about going to grad school in the first place and finding a forum dedicated to sharing ALL of the grad school feelings!

I applied to Maryland, but didn't get in. I can say that I was more impressed with them than any other school I applied to: they were always extremely prompt in getting back to me and it was clear they had a very well-run program. Congrats on getting in - it's a terrific school.