maryland

I was just waitlisted at UMD about 20 minutes ago (via a sort of strangely worded email), so there may be more waitlist emails on the way today. Keep in mind, though, that I'm rhet/comp which seems to mean different notification timetables in a lot of departments.

I was just waitlisted at UMD about 20 minutes ago (via a sort of strangely worded email), so there may be more waitlist emails on the way today. Keep in mind, though, that I'm rhet/comp which seems to mean different notification timetables in a lot of departments.

Who was the email from? I emailed Sangeeta Ray, the DGS, a few weeks ago, and her response was strangely worded, lol. Kinda weird to get a poorly worded email from the DGS at a Ph.D. program.

Congrats, though! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled, now, for an email :wacko:

I think it's strange that you all got an e-mail from the UMD DGS... It specifically says on my ASF form "Your application is now complete. It is currently being processed or soon will be. Thanks. If the status of your application is "COMPLETE", that indicates that all required support documents have been received and that your file is ready to be reviewed for decision. After the review is completed, you will receive a letter with the decision recommendation in the mail. Decision information cannot be given out over the phone or in email correspondence."

I e-mailed Sangeeta Ray a few days ago asking about timelines but she hasn't responded yet.

So I would like my waitlist e-mail now Sangeeta Ray please and thank you :)

Just for clarification, I haven't received an "official" waitlist email. I, too, am anxious to hear something official.

I think it's strange that you all got an e-mail from the UMD DGS... It specifically says on my ASF form "Your application is now complete. It is currently being processed or soon will be. Thanks. If the status of your application is "COMPLETE", that indicates that all required support documents have been received and that your file is ready to be reviewed for decision. After the review is completed, you will receive a letter with the decision recommendation in the mail. Decision information cannot be given out over the phone or in email correspondence."

I e-mailed Sangeeta Ray a few days ago asking about timelines but she hasn't responded yet.

I think they actually mean that the graduate school itself will not give out any of that information, especially--as someone said--because they don't want to get bombarded with emails/phone calls. I'm pretty sure the department itself is free to do whatever it damn well pleases ;) And when I emailed Dr. Ray, it took her a few days to get back to me, too.

I just got officially wait-listed by Sangeeta Ray. Here is the email:

"While your application was very competitive you did not make the first round of admission into the PhD program. You are on our wait list but students have till April 15th to let us know. We are hosting an open house on March 14-15 and you are more than welcome to attend. If you decide to choose another school do let us know so we can remove you from our wait list. We would be delighted to offer you admission to our MA program even though we cannot fund our MA students. if this option appeals to you, please let me know."

Hope this helps, for anyone still waiting! Good luck to everyone! And if you aren't going, let them know, so they can accept me! B) (<-- sunglasses to hide fear of "rejected off the waiting list" results board submission)

"While your application was very competitive you did not make the first round of admission into the PhD program. You are on our wait list but students have till April 15th to let us know. We are hosting an open house on March 14-15 and you are more than welcome to attend. If you decide to choose another school do let us know so we can remove you from our wait list. We would be delighted to offer you admission to our MA program even though we cannot fund our MA students. if this option appeals to you, please let me know."

Hope this helps, for anyone still waiting! Good luck to everyone! And if you aren't going, let them know, so they can accept me! B) (<-- sunglasses to hide fear of "rejected off the waiting list" results board submission)

WOW! Congrats, that's a great accomplishment, SP! As of now, are you thinking Amherst or hold out for Maryland?? That's a toughie. And you obviously still have some other irons in the fire!

Okay, Sangeeta. Get at me now. I'm ready.

Ahhhh, well, congrats on the wait list! That's better than a rejection by far and above. Hopefully some people decline their offers of acceptance so that you can be accepted! I'm still waiting to hear back... Meep. I e-mailed her a few days ago, hoping to expect a similar e-mail back.

WOW! Congrats, that's a great accomplishment, SP! As of now, are you thinking Amherst or hold out for Maryland?? That's a toughie. And you obviously still have some other irons in the fire!

Okay, Sangeeta. Get at me now. I'm ready.

Amherst vs. Maryland is really, really tough, given my interests. Amherst has some fantastic Renaissance resources (the Renaissance center, the Sidney Journal, English Literary Renaissance Journal, Arthur Kinney) but Maryland has the Folger, plus I know some people there. Amherst is closer to home, which may be good or bad.

I'm going to wait at least a little. If I were accepted to Maryland, I would probably take it, but I have to see how things play out. B) (<-- sunglasses to hide indecision, fear, and fear of indecision, and to try to give off the impression that I know how to play it cool)

Good luck to both of you! I hope you hear something soon! I'm pulling for you!

Yeah. Really not bankin on those, though, haha. B)

I know what you mean. All my real longshots are what I have out at this point. Except for Tufts; I think I'm in the hunt for an acceptance or waitlist there since they have sent out so many rejections already... and weirdly... I think Yale is my second best chance of getting in. I have no idea why, just this feeling. :ph34r:

I know what you mean. All my real longshots are what I have out at this point. Except for Tufts; I think I'm in the hunt for an acceptance or waitlist there since they have sent out so many rejections already... and weirdly... I think Yale is my second best chance of getting in. I have no idea why, just this feeling. :ph34r:

Would be soo awesome if you got into Yale. I'd be celebrating :)

I just received a waitlist email as well, but I'll be removing myself from the waitlist. Fellowship offers at 2 other schools that better fit my interest. I hope that helps someone on here!

Gaaah. I take it you don't have any early modern interests, based on your applications to rhet/comp programs. Not sure if that will help me or not. Here's hoping! :D

Congrats on your acceptances, btw. Both awesome schools with awesome departments. And best of luck with those you haven't heard from yet! :)