Updating statement of purpose

Supernovasky

Hey guys, although I applied 3 months ago to all of these colleges, I've since realized that there were a few things left out of my personal statement that I feel the graduate committees should be aware of. I've retooled it a bit. Do you think it would negatively impact me if I emailed my POIs and the grad chairs and sent them an updated statement of purpose? Could it impact me positively? Have you ever heard of someone doing this?

Hi Super,

I think it is too late. there is a reason there are deadlines. Most schools are already well in the process of reviewing applications and some of them have already made decisions. it wouldn't be fair with all the other applicants, and I honestly think it would hurt you.

I know you are probably freaking out right now because you got one reception. I was there a few years ago. What you have to do is wait. Wait until you've heard from all the schools. If you get an acceptance, awesome. If you don't, then its not the end of the world. From what you've been posting in other threads it seems to me like you applied to a few school without even knowing if they were a good fit or not. Take the next year to research your schools, take some time to study and improve your gre scores. take some time to write the best personal statement you can write. If you want you can also apply to MA programs and get some extra experience.

I hope that helps.

I think CVs are the only thing they want updated if there is a big enough change and most likely wanted it earlier in the month. I would love to edit my stuff more it is too late. I know that you have a rejection but you have four more schools to go and who knows you won't have to retool. This is my second round and not getting in has helped me focus better on my application and where I want to be. Also remember MA programs are still accepting applications!

Super,

I would strongly advice you against going to an unfunded MA program. First of all, it's a lot of money. And more important, when you do get accepted to a PhD program, you'll have to start from scratch. Most programs will let you get out of maybe a stats class and one or two electives, but that's it. I really don't think it is worth it.

If I my ask you directly, what's the rush? If you really want to do this, why don't you wait another year and improve your application so that you can get into the school that is best for you?

Maximus,

Because I'm already 2 years out of school, and I would have to retake the GRE. If I apply next year, then it will be for the 2013-2014 cycle, which is even further removed from my last time spent in an educational setting. I have no ability to improve my application any, because all of my time is spent working 60 hours a week to pay off student loans.

I understand unfunded MA programs are a lot of money and I'll have to start from scratch, but I think that in order to be competitive with other applicants to the programs I want to get into, a MA program may be my best and only bet.

There are paid internship positions as well. I think post-baccalaureate research positions are becoming more common among R1 universities, which is great because the exposure to research and publishing is great as well as the fact that you get paid and receive benefits as well. You also have the opportunity to gain new letters of recommendation, as well as possibly writing a new writing sample from scratch with available datasets. I think its one of the more rare opportunities to completely revamp and strengthen applications without being strapped with further academic debt.

Supernovasky, I don't think you can or should update your SOP, unless you're going to use the new SOP to apply to a different set of programs. At this point, you need to relax and wait for decisions, search for MA programs and apply to them, etc. You may want to apply to MA programs and look for funding elsewhere in the university, if that's something that interests you. Alternately, look on indeed.com for jobs that might get you some relevant experience.

There are paid internship positions as well. I think post-baccalaureate research positions are becoming more common among R1 universities, which is great because the exposure to research and publishing is great as well as the fact that you get paid and receive benefits as well. You also have the opportunity to gain new letters of recommendation, as well as possibly writing a new writing sample from scratch with available datasets. I think its one of the more rare opportunities to completely revamp and strengthen applications without being strapped with further academic debt.

I've searched pretty hard for these and can't find any...

and hearing that a Washington invitaiton already went out makes my stomach drop. I fit in BEST there.

And just an FYI, if you are struggling to make the minimum payments on your student loan, most lenders offer some sort of hardship/forbearance service to help lower your minimum payment or extend your repayment period. I'm not sure if it was here or in another post, but I'm fairly certain the federal government has discontinued paying interest on federal loans for graduate students who are in school in favor of maintaining undergraduate aid.

I sympathize with having to retake the GRE (I squeaked by on my last year of valid scores), but 2 years out of school is not a lot, in my opinion.

I'm fairly certain the federal government has discontinued paying interest on federal loans for graduate students who are in school in favor of maintaining undergraduate aid.

Oh Shi* !! Say it isn't so! I knew they upped the interest rate on new federal stafford loans, but I hadn't heard about any changes to in-school policies for subsidized loans.

If this is true, it is going to majorly affect my ability to complete a PhD.

Super.

Taking some time off between undergrad and graduate school is not a bad idea. I'm in a program where they only people who feel like they didn't do it right are the people who came straight out of undergrad. and as for improving your application, if you really think you can't improve it anymore, then be realistic and apply to places where you have a chance. I know, it would be nice if we could all get into a top 20 school, but you have to understand that there are literally hundreds of people applying to these programs... with acceptance rates of about 5%, you really have to do something to stand out. And, unlike undegrad admissions, no one really cares about your extra curriculars. what matters is your GRE, your GPA, your statement of purpose, and your research experience.

Oh Shi* !! Say it isn't so! I knew they upped the interest rate on new federal stafford loans, but I hadn't heard about any changes to in-school policies for subsidized loans.

If this is true, it is going to majorly affect my ability to complete a PhD.

It is so...

But that just sort of drives home the rule of thumb - don't go into a PhD program unless you are fully funded.

Wait, unless I am misunderstanding this (which is possible, I have tried very hard to forget about my loans), but I thought this only applies to NEW grad loans. So I have subsidized loans from undergrad, and once (if) I start grad school and get an in school deferment, those loans will still be subsidized. But any new loans I take out as a grad student, no matter how broke I am, will be unsubsidized. Is that right?

Ugh, loans.

Wait, unless I am misunderstanding this (which is possible, I have tried very hard to forget about my loans), but I thought this only applies to NEW grad loans. So I have subsidized loans from undergrad, and once (if) I start grad school and get an in school deferment, those loans will still be subsidized. But any new loans I take out as a grad student, no matter how broke I am, will be unsubsidized. Is that right?

Ugh, loans.

No, you're right. There haven't been a lot of details, but I think the consensus is that this would apply beginning with loans taken out in 2012.

Double right re: "Ugh, loans."

LOL: you should be able to get both sub. and unsub. loans through the government. There are certain cut-offs however, one being something like no more than $160,000 in total Fed. aid from both sources. Call the financial aid office wherever you're accepted.

LOL: you should be able to get both sub. and unsub. loans through the government. There are certain cut-offs however, one being something like no more than $160,000 in total Fed. aid from both sources. Call the financial aid office wherever you're accepted.

Oh, that's even better. Thanks for the input.

Hey guys, although I applied 3 months ago to all of these colleges, I've since realized that there were a few things left out of my personal statement that I feel the graduate committees should be aware of. I've retooled it a bit. Do you think it would negatively impact me if I emailed my POIs and the grad chairs and sent them an updated statement of purpose? Could it impact me positively? Have you ever heard of someone doing this?

Definitely agree with Maximus on this one. It's still very early in the process, and one rejection does not equal not getting in anywhere. I would also strongly advise against an unfunded MA program. I've been thinking about this option too, but it doesn't make sense in this economy.

It sounds like you are experiencing some panic, which is totally normal. There are a couple of things I do to make it more bearable: 1. I made my application as strong as possible without going back in time and getting better grades, but when I do think of things that could strengthen my application, I jot them down and do a little research when I have time (I also work 60 hours a week); 2. I remember why it is I subjected myself to this again and I read read read on my research interests; 3. I am brushing up on language skills with Rosetta stone - it keeps me busy and will help if I make it in this year; 4. Regular stuff like exercise and eating good food and seeing a good therapist or learning meditation... It seems silly but it's important in keeping depression at bay and for gaining perspective.

Hope that helps. Also please stop fretting about being two years out of school. It makes us real old people feel, well, old.