Point of Contact for International students?

Hello All,

whom do you go to if you have questions about your current F-1 status? is there an advisor?

I am an international student but my school's international students office is totally unapproacchable and I really need answers to some questions. I don't know how to approach them. They make me feel like a piece of crap, despite paying more tuition as compared to residents!

Edited by nehs

you should reconsider attending a school that doesn't treat you well!

I totally agree but that's not my question because, I am mid way through my program and transferring out is not an option.

I would try talking to a professor you trust, someone in administration from your department, other international students if you know any, or any career counselors your school offers!

thank you so much.

i do not know students but i could talk to my professors and career counselors in the school.

You're very welcome. Also, I don't know what your department's administrative staff is like, but at my current school they are very friendly and helpful in the music department administration.

Oh hey, I just noticed you're at CUNY! I just got invited to interview there on February 18... I'm an international student too, so I guess I will keep that in mind about their crappy international student's office!!

You're very welcome. Also, I don't know what your department's administrative staff is like, but at my current school they are very friendly and helpful in the music department administration.

Oh hey, I just noticed you're at CUNY! I just got invited to interview there on February 18... I'm an international student too, so I guess I will keep that in mind about their crappy international student's office!!

Yes, my Dept staff are usually friendly and so is my graduate advisor.

Yes I'm at CUNY but NOT all the international staff members are this way. So don't be bothered and go for your interview.

If you want to talk more about CUNY,you could send me a personal message.

I have found grouchy administrative staff at almost every university I have dealt with. Especially my undergrad. Still had a great experience.

EXACTLY ktel!

I enjoy my classes, my professors and most of the other offices such as the bursar, registrar. I would not want to transfer out just because of this. I want to stay in the system and fight it out. The only problem is I do not know whom to approach.

EXACTLY ktel!

I enjoy my classes, my professors and most of the other offices such as the bursar, registrar. I would not want to transfer out just because of this. I want to stay in the system and fight it out. The only problem is I do not know whom to approach.

I would start with someone in your department. If they suggest you go to the international office, tell them that you did and did not receive help. If they don't know where you should go, try somewhere else. If all else fails, go to the international office and deal with the staff.

I'd start with either asking the office staff itself and (in the likely case they don't know) have *them* ask your quesions of someone in the international student office. I've done this before with unhelpful staff and it's always worked out. Admin assistants are sometimes nicer to each other than to students.

Now, if the problem is one of incompetence where you simply don't trust the answers you might get, try searching online. Some universities have wonderful ISO websites that list a lot of information.

I would start with someone in your department. If they suggest you go to the international office, tell them that you did and did not receive help. If they don't know where you should go, try somewhere else. If all else fails, go to the international office and deal with the staff.

Thanks ktel.

It is so sad that we nternational students have to go through all this :( When will USCIS realize this.

SAdly, I have heard such complaints from friends from many other schools too, not necesarily mine.

I'd start with either asking the office staff itself and (in the likely case they don't know) have *them* ask your quesions of someone in the international student office. I've done this before with unhelpful staff and it's always worked out. Admin assistants are sometimes nicer to each other than to students.

Now, if the problem is one of incompetence where you simply don't trust the answers you might get, try searching online. Some universities have wonderful ISO websites that list a lot of information.

fuzzylogician,

yes, admin staff is a little better in my school too. you mean admin staff, although unhelpful, might still be able to help me?

the thing is i've got some answers which are TOTALLY wrong. I have the correct answers too but no on in the office wants to even hear me out :( ..this is screwing up my situation and they don't seem to care. my school's website is not well developed, but i could try other schools' websites as you say

fuzzylogician,

yes, admin staff is a little better in my school too. you mean admin staff, although unhelpful, might still be able to help me?

I meant that you could try and have the administrative staff in your department contact the unhelpful ISO staff. Sometimes people are more helpful if they think that they are assisting another admin staff member instead of a student. But if the problem is that you don't trust the answers you might get, maybe it's not worth a try. Can you contact someone in the US immigration directly with the question? If it's seriously important I'd also consider paying an immigration lawyer for some reliable answers. And there are other schools' websites, as I mentioned above.

I meant that you could try and have the administrative staff in your department contact the unhelpful ISO staff. Sometimes people are more helpful if they think that they are assisting another admin staff member instead of a student. But if the problem is that you don't trust the answers you might get, maybe it's not worth a try. Can you contact someone in the US immigration directly with the question? If it's seriously important I'd also consider paying an immigration lawyer for some reliable answers. And there are other schools' websites, as I mentioned above.

Yeah, that's the problem for me. They do not even listen and after listening all I get is " this is the rule". Hey, there is no rule like the one they are talking about.

Yes,I am planning to contact a lawyer too.