Need to make a fast decision...

polarbears815

Brand new here and wanted some advice. My acceptance letter basically says the following: If you do not respond in some way within 3 weeks the admissions committee will proceed down the list of candidates and offer the assistantship to the next-ranked candidate. You will remain eligible for admission to the program, and will be able to accept the offered assistantship until it is accepted by another incoming student. The sooner I receive your answer, the better.

The assistantship the program is offering is worth over $25,000. I have applied to quite a few other programs and have not yet heard back from them. Should I say yes within the three-week deadline and hope the other schools get back to me before then? Would it still be possible to withdraw if I get accepted elsewhere? Thanks!

Intense! It's weird that they say "If you do not respond in some way..." Sounds like it could be interpreted that you could respond "maybe" or something.

Do you have to pay a deposit? If no, then I would say wait until the end of the 3 weeks and if you haven't heard back from anyone else yet, accept. You can back out after... I don't think they make you sign in blood or something.

Like purpledino said, is it possible they just want to know if you're definitely considering them, so they'll hold the offer for you until you are able to decide? I thought all grad schools were supposed to give admits until April 15 to decide.

Uh, this letter would seem to violate the Council of Graduate Schools "Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows,Trainees and Assistants", which says that you can't force anyone into accepting/declining financial aid prior to April 15. If the letter is asking you to do this, and the school you're applying to is a signatory of the resolution, I would consider reporting this unethical behavior to a senior administrator at the offending university (or at least asking a faculty member at your current institution to do it).

But it sounds like they just might be asking you to get in touch to confirm you received their offer, and they aren't actually asking for a final decision yet. In which case, just acknowledge receipt and tell them you'll make up your mind by April 15.