Public vs. Private?

hobokennojokin

I wanted to collect this forum's thoughts on the differences between public and private universities for getting a Ph.D. in Sociology. Specifically, how do funding opportunities generally differ? Do you guys think this is something that can be generalized across public and private universities, or do you think it's more of a department to department type deal? Thanks!

The graduate students from my undergraduate Soc. department seem to grumble time to time about funding/compensation - specifically, how low it is in comparison to other (private) programs. They certainly aren't in it for the glitz and glamour of graduate student life. And this is coming from a top-ranked public university.

The graduate students from my undergraduate Soc. department seem to grumble time to time about funding/compensation - specifically, how low it is in comparison to other (private) programs. They certainly aren't in it for the glitz and glamour of graduate student life. And this is coming from a top-ranked public university.

It's my sense that private universities seem to fund their students much more comfortably. I just read a funding offer from a private school I was fortunate to get into this cycle. My reaction--- "Is this real life?"

It's my sense that private universities seem to fund their students much more comfortably. I just read a funding offer from a private school I was fortunate to get into this cycle. My reaction--- "Is this real life?"

Rice, while a new program (and I think also a private school?) has ridiculous funding.

Yale's is pretty generous too.

Yale is something like $26K, with 3 of those years on full-fellowship funding and 2 more with TA/RA obligation. Though this includes health insurance, I've heard horrible things about the Yale Health Plan.

Certainly elevates the desirability of their program!

@Chuck - and I read that Madison was $14,000 a year? That's really significant... What about Duke? I honestly think the two biggest differences might be size of program (publics are a bit bigger) and then funding.. the latter would concern most people I think if the difference was over $10,000... that's basically rent for the year.

@Chuck - and I read that Madison was $14,000 a year? That's really significant... What about Duke? I honestly think the two biggest differences might be size of program (publics are a bit bigger) and then funding.. the latter would concern most people I think if the difference was over $10,000... that's basically rent for the year.

Yeah, the difference is dramatic. Though my research area doesn't fit at all with anyone at Yale or Duke, I'm now almost wishing I had applied anyway. I'm 30 years old. I live frugally now, and I honestly don't know how I can be an adult on $14,000 a year.

Also keep in mind that Wisconsin doesn't provide summer research funding (or, at least, besides mentioning a small "welcome check" to say "yay you completed your first year!", their admit letter conveniently leaves out any mention of how to fill that obvious hole).

Edited by Chuck

you probably will have to compete for summer teaching gigs that pay like $2000-3000 a class... what my friends have told me about funding at the public schools.. @chuck.. you seemed really excited about madison.. not your first choice though? What other places are you waiting to hear from?

@chuck.. you seemed really excited about madison.. not your first choice though? What other places are you waiting to hear from?

My fear is likely unwarranted, but I'd like to keep too much identifying information off of this public profile. At least until all admissions are said and done. I will say that I have a very specific and well-defined research interest that fits with faculty across a number of disciplines. So, while I applied to 7 departments, only two of them are sociology programs (Wisconsin & Oregon). This choice has less to do with the strength/reputation of individual departments or universities, and more to do with faculty research fit.

That being said, I am extremely excited about Wisconsin! I only wish the department were better funded. Wisconsin is the 3rd program I've heard from. Depending on possibly better funding opportunities and/or the availability of a rockstar faculty member at couple of other schools I applied to, it may be my first choice.

Also, I'm really curious to see what the Wisconsin cohort is like on visit day.