forming a band: are you planning on doing something OTHER than?

ol'spice

Ok I'm day dreaming... But I lived in NYC while Warhol was still alive, saw Lou Reed shoot heroin on stage on the Pyramid club, and now with the passing of Mike Kelley, I reminded myself of how much I love making noise, experimental and non music and so if I get accepted ANYWHERE, the first thing I'll do is a flyer to recrut folks to form a noise making thing...

Is anyone going to explore something totally out of their main focus?

yeah I hade a band before I moved - I love to get something started if I met the right people

we applied to a lot of the same schools... it would be freaky if we ended up in the same program, and then we would have to jam at least...

Is anyone going to explore something totally out of their main focus?

I'm not a musician, sadly, but I keep going back to writing. I've started work on my second full-length fiction novel (the first was just practice and scrap), and I'm going to shop around the manuscript if I don't get into grad school. I should have a superhuman tolerance for rejection by then, so, um, silver lining?

Edited by canarybones

I'm hoping to start a band when I get to grad school. Just seems like a great stress release thing. Even if we just practice in a living room and never make it on stage. Just gotta make your own fun.

I'm not a musician, sadly, but I keep going back to writing. I've started work on my second full-length fiction novel (the first was just practice and scrap), and I'm going to shop around the manuscript if I don't get into grad school. I should have a superhuman tolerance for rejection by then, so, um, silver lining?

I don't think being a musician is a "requirement"... Just try it sometime to get together with people to make noise (and just be open for what could happen), leaving all the music notations, chords, keys, out of the equation... And instruments arent required either... you'll be surprised what kind of cool noises can be made with pans, plastic bags, etc...