Notifications & being last

cokohlik

2 of the programs I've applied to have accepted, as reported on the Survey page, 1 student each. Probably more, since not all applicants use the Grad Cafe. Question: Is this a bad sign for me? I don't know why I haven't received an email yet if others have. I met with one POI and was with him for 2 or 3 hours and spoke to the POI at the other program (East Coast) on the phone for a whole hour and a half. I believe that I hit off with both of them. I'm not understanding. While I am of course happy for those who got in, I can't help but feel like my confidence and chances are slowly being beaten down and tortured and starved.

I would wait for a bit before worrying about it. (Read: Please don't worry cokohlik, because you're great and you are going to get into places and so you shouldn't be causing yourself any ulcers this early in the game!!!)

Confidence, up!

I think information about admissions might be a bit like a particularly smelly toot- leaking slowly out and torturing all of us :)

I would wait for a bit before worrying about it. (Read: Please don't worry cokohlik, because you're great and you are going to get into places and so you shouldn't be causing yourself any ulcers this early in the game!!!)

Confidence, up!

I think information about admissions might be a bit like a particularly smelly toot- leaking slowly out and torturing all of us :)

Heheh :) Thanks LLajax! ^_^ That's a really funny analogy. I'll be giggling about it for a while, hehe!

Alright, confidence... I think I can, I think I can...

2 of the programs I've applied to have accepted, as reported on the Survey page, 1 student each. Probably more, since not all applicants use the Grad Cafe. Question: Is this a bad sign for me? I don't know why I haven't received an email yet if others have.

I'm in the exact same boat. According to the results page, my top 2 schools have already sent out some acceptances. I figure if i haven't heard anything by next week from those 2 schools, i'll bite the bullet and send out some emails at the end of the week asking about my application status. I'm predicting it's bad though.

I'm in the exact same boat. According to the results page, my top 2 schools have already sent out some acceptances. I figure if i haven't heard anything by next week from those 2 schools, i'll bite the bullet and send out some emails at the end of the week asking about my application status. I'm predicting it's bad though.

:( I hope not! Maybe they do things alphabetically.

Is it 'proper' to send out emails asking about application status? Who would you send it to? Seems like a great idea! I wonder if some of the acceptances we're seeing where the DGS emailed them are the result of them asking about their status.

All but 1 (Michigan) of the schools I applied to have people getting responses on the survey page. However, talking to other grad school hopefuls at my college, none have heard from 4 of the 6 places I haven't gotten a response from. I think this is a case of half "don't treat the survey page as gospel" since it's unchecked, plus some people might have given the school reason to give them a quick response, good or bad, and half, as LLajax so beautifully put it, like a particularly smelly toot.

I think they send the reject notices first - the people that will never make it in, then the people at the bottom of the waitlist. There's a couple people that they desparately want, and those get immediate acceptances, but most everyone else is chatted about and reprioritized 15 times before they decide for sure.

No news really is good news. :)

I think they send the reject notices first - the people that will never make it in, then the people at the bottom of the waitlist. There's a couple people that they desparately want, and those get immediate acceptances, but most everyone else is chatted about and reprioritized 15 times before they decide for sure.

No news really is good news. :)

I'm really hoping for this...

I was waitlisted rather late last year at my dream program, and later received the silent rejection (ouch). This year I got feedback from admissions, improved my app and reapplied. We were told that results would start going out in mid-February, but I just saw a waitlister on the results board. My mind is alternating between "They've already decided and don't have a reason to send out rejections immediately or at all, so be prepared for ultimate fail" and "I'm still in the running, they're narrowing it down and maybe even finding funding sources for me!" The back and forth gets to be excruciating!

My S.O. disapproves of the time and energy I'm spending on this site, but I can't stay away! Constantly re-estimating my chances somehow makes me feel like I have control over my life. How silly. It feels good to know I'm not alone with this anxiety! :)