MS, then Ph.D for a better chance?

NopiFly

Hi all,

I'll be applying to grad schools this fall,

and my goal is to get a Ph.D. at the most prestigious school possible.

I'm wondering if the following are true:

1. Given the same stat, would it be easier to get into an MS program than a Ph.D. program?

2. Would having an MS degree make me a better applicant for Ph.D. programs,

whether I get to do research in those 2 years or not?

3. Is it possible to apply for a Ph.D. program and mention that I'd be ok with MS?

Thanks.

Jon

I only applied to (very) few top schools for PhD; in worst case will do MS first (at my alma mater).

If you do great research, then it should help. But keep in mind the standards are higher for MS applicants - if they don't finish PhD, the university can't even award a Masters since they already have one.

I have been looking into MS at top 10-20 schools (in CS), and had a hard time finding a funded research MS.

(now Stanford seems to offer one, and yes I think it's slightly easier to get in). However, many schools specifically say they strongly prefer PhD applicants.

Also, below the top 4-5, I saw either

(1) non-funded MS

(2) plenty of coursework (like 7-9 courses) and a tiny thesis, which doesn't help that much with getting into PhD.

You may do your own research on the topic, this is just what I found.

I only applied to (very) few top schools for PhD; in worst case will do MS first (at my alma mater).

If you do great research, then it should help. But keep in mind the standards are higher for MS applicants - if they don't finish PhD, the university can't even award a Masters since they already have one.

I have been looking into MS at top 10-20 schools (in CS), and had a hard time finding a funded research MS.

(now Stanford seems to offer one, and yes I think it's slightly easier to get in). However, many schools specifically say they strongly prefer PhD applicants.

Also, below the top 4-5, I saw either

(1) non-funded MS

(2) plenty of coursework (like 7-9 courses) and a tiny thesis, which doesn't help that much with getting into PhD.

You may do your own research on the topic, this is just what I found.

I totally agree with alice, especially, "higher standard for MS holders" and "tricky funding issues".

Some of MS students can get awarded financial support, but they are much less than a half. (surely, it depends on schools.)

And, merely getting high GPA during MS is not that helpful. If you have MS, the committees expect you very strong research experience up to publish top conference papers.

That's good to know. I was also wondering if I should apply for a Masters if I get across the board rejections to PhD programs, but wasn't aware that getting a Masters degree might inadvertently make it more difficult to get into a top PhD program.

I want to go straight to PhD but I applied to one masters program as a backup - just in case I receive all rejections:P

Even though profs don't usually fund masters students, it is possible to impress them and convince them to take you as a phd student - I heard of some people who started as masters and transferred to phd program before completing MS. The bad thing is that one may need to take a loan for masters.

I think 4.0 gpa from masters without any research will not be an advantage - MS would increase chances of acceptance into phd if one had no publications in undergrad and then went to MS and succeeded in publishing.

<< I thought each school had separate quota for MS and PhD, no?

Yeah, but it comes down to finding a prof, and many profs say : "I am only looking for PhD students."

Good luck! I'm sure you can find something if you really want.

I think it is a bad idea - they want people who are 100% sure they know they want phd. But there is an option to select if you want your app to be moved to masters admissions. You can call people to ask if it's done automatically - some schools require two apps, some dont.

not sure if this is helpful, but i know some schools offer a program where you enroll in an MS/PHD program. So you earn a masters and then have the option of continuing on the PHD. I know that Tufts CS has one, and there are probably others.