Gilman International Scholarship Program 2012-2013

kbui

I didn't find a Gilman Scholarship forum on here yet, so it's time to start one for this upcoming round! Applications are due March 1st, and the website is here: http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program.

I hope alumni can offer advice, and I hope this can be a thriving post for applicants.

I'm applying for the Gilman for 2012-13 to go to Taipei, Taiwan. What about everyone else?

I applied for it, and they basically lied to me... PM for details. Also everyone I know from my uni who got that award didn't get enough money for even barely covering a plane ticket and checks would often arrive very late or some other problems. Also the requirement that you do a follow up project is a bit absurd considering awards usually don't seem to pass $1500, which, if you're going far, is like I said little more than a plane ticket. Of course if you just make a blog then it's easy but anything else seems too much for too little..

I wouldn't apply for it again. It was too much hassle and too stressful. I think you already applied for the Boren and those people seem to have everything together and are generally much more professional and caring about their students.

I am applying for the Gilman - Amman, Jordan 2012/2013 Academic school year - If I get it, I hope to get the additional critical language bonus.

I do not consider the Gilman to be too stressful. I am almost finished with my application, and found it to be 10 x less stressful than the Boren.

Good luck to ALL applicants!

Dee

I am applying for the Gilman - Amman, Jordan 2012/2013 Academic school year - If I get it, I hope to get the additional critical language bonus.

I do not consider the Gilman to be too stressful. I am almost finished with my application, and found it to be 10 x less stressful than the Boren.

Good luck to ALL applicants!

Dee

I meant the system they used (at least when I applied) always had glitches (so you'd get a "You have not been selected" thing a month before results came out, it'd crash often, etc) and the people who were supposed to answer emails and calls never did. The Boren was murder in terms of the essays, but their support was much better and I never had any problems with glitches in their system. But the Gilman people gave me a huge run around (like I said if you must know, PM for details) and then left me in the dark.

I'm a Gilman Alumnus. Won the award back in 2006. I can answer any questions.

I'm not sure why the previous poster had a hard time. The process wasn't stressful at all (if you think that's stressful, wait to you have to apply for visas and actually prepare to go abroad). I was awarded $5000 and the money was applied to my study abroad program, which was linked through my university. I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket for tuition and fees, and I was very thankful I'd gotten the money. Doesn't make sense to turn your nose up at $1500 just because you don't think its enough. Free money is free money! I did have to pay for my own plane tickets, food and spending money, but that depends on the study abroad program, not Gilman, and you would normally have to pay for that.

The follow-on project was also very simple. They do require it, but they were pretty flexible about when you did. I was given up to a year to complete and submit evidence of it. There's a variety of things you can do. I gave a presentation at a nearby high school to learn about the country I went to and encourage seniors to study abroad when they entered college.

I'm a Gilman Alumnus. Won the award back in 2006. I can answer any questions.

I'm not sure why the previous poster had a hard time. The process wasn't stressful at all (if you think that's stressful, wait to you have to apply for visas and actually prepare to go abroad). I was awarded $5000 and the money was applied to my study abroad program, which was linked through my university. I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket for tuition and fees, and I was very thankful I'd gotten the money. Doesn't make sense to turn your nose up at $1500 just because you don't think its enough. Free money is free money! I did have to pay for my own plane tickets, food and spending money, but that depends on the study abroad program, not Gilman, and you would normally have to pay for that.

The follow-on project was also very simple. They do require it, but they were pretty flexible about when you did. I was given up to a year to complete and submit evidence of it. There's a variety of things you can do. I gave a presentation at a nearby high school to learn about the country I went to and encourage seniors to study abroad when they entered college.

I'm abroad actually. Won the Boren, will be in Russia until august.

I was just wondering if any past Gilman winners would be willing to look over my essays to help edit/correct them? I want it to be well polished and carry my messages through so I can earn this wonderful scholarship to fund my year abroad in Taiwan. :)

Please email me at kbui@macalester.edu if anyone is able. Thank you in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

The Gilman application is due tonight. I sent mine in a couple days ago, so hopefully everything goes smoothly and I get a positive reply soon. :) Good luck to those who applied!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm kind of glad that the Gilman doesn't have this semi-final/final stage in our applications, so we just have one moment of anxiety rather than multiple ones. :D

I applied for the summer Gilman scholarship. I do not think my essays were that great (noticed a typo or two AFTER submission), but who knows. My proposed program is very unconventional so I thought my chance of winning was not great anyway. I didn't stress out when applying and just kind of "winged it." Needless to say I won't be sad if/when I get the rejection email....

Good luck to the rest of you lot (especially for the Boren :)).

I applied for the summer Gilman scholarship. I do not think my essays were that great (noticed a typo or two AFTER submission), but who knows. My proposed program is very unconventional so I thought my chance of winning was not great anyway. I didn't stress out when applying and just kind of "winged it." Needless to say I won't be sad if/when I get the rejection email....

Good luck to the rest of you lot (especially for the Boren :)).

Thank you for the wishes. I see that you've received the budget request email also, so I hope we both hear good news later on. As for the Gilman, I worked on it fairly hard (though not as extensively as the Boren, since the requirements and standards for them were quite different). But I think the essays reflect most of my reasons for studying abroad well. And hopefully the service project I proposed resonates well with the committee.

We don't hear back for a while, so plenty of time to contemplate on other things in our lives.

• 1 month later...

Really?! I tried logging in too but I didn't see where it states my award status... Is it because I applied for the Fall/Academic year?

Kbui, I hope my message didn't give you a mini heart attack! It looks like, according to the website, you won't be notified until June. You've got another month to sweat it out.

It is worth mentioning that you should start monitoring flight prices now. One of the stipulations of the Gilman is that you must fly with a US airline carrier. For my flight, I am getting quoted a whopping $3500. I was lucky enough to also win a Freeman Asia scholarship (did you apply for that, too?) and I did not see the same requirement in their fine print. I hope I can use that award money to "only" pay $2000 flying with a Chinese airline....

Edited by faxekondi

I guess people "winged it" and I worked so hard, no typos, excellent grammar and great essay. I guess because I had international experience before I was selected as an alternate. I am deeply sad and depressed. Financial Aid rejected me for study abroad and this was all I had left. My only hope down the drain. What are the chances they will call me? Slim to nothing because who turns down a scholarship to study abroad. I worked so hard on this. Congrats to the winners.

Does anybody know why Gilman pushed back their dates for the academic year awards? I could've sworn both the summer and academic year/fall results were supposed to go out at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everybody,

I just served on the scholarship selection panel two weeks ago in Houston and if anybody needs any advice on their essays, feel free to email me. I believe the average award is around $3,000.00.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for offering to help! If I get the Gilman, or if not, I want to know how to better help future students create the best application. Since you've been on the selection committee, what are some advice that you can give us? I know there is a lot of information online, but is there anything that they particulary look for when rating/analyzing applications?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Ok, well the results are out: May 24th at 7:48PM, and I didn't receive it. Looking back at the application, I'm pretty sure they didn't choose me because I have had extensive study abroad experiences (Mexico, Hawaii, Thailand, China). I did receive the Boren, so I'm glad that the money could be going towards other students who really have high financial need to go abroad.

Congratulations to the new Gilman Scholars! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how long it generally takes for the document approval check to be finished? I'm sure it's very busy at the central office. Does a month sound like the right time-frame for people that have already gone through the process? Thanks!