How long before you get the "official" acceptance?

crofty

Hi all - Earlier this week, I received a phone call from a professor who told me that the dept. had just held their admissions meeting (OMG), that I had been accepted (YAY!), and he wanted to share the good news with me right away (very appreciated). He explained they were still working on fellowships, funding, etc., but I would receive more information shortly. No problem, I thought, I can now wait patiently.

Well . . . it turns out I'm not that patient. Several days have passed, and I haven't received any sort of more formal acceptance email or communication - is this normal? The only reason why I ask is because the phone call has taken on this dream-like quality in my memory - "did it really happen?" "have I really been accepted?" "was I actually asleep?" I know that funding is probably still in the works, but I would sure love to have some sort of tangible acceptance email/letter that would convince me I haven't totally lost it! Does anyone have any similar experiences they can share? How long have you had to wait between "unofficial" acceptance and "official" acceptance? Thanks!

CONGRATS!! :)

I got my first acceptance via email from the Grad Admissions Chair and then also from a potential advisor...on Jan 15th.

My funding has already been determined (about a week after that)...but still nothing "official" in my mailbox (and believe me, I've been checking!).

So I don't know the answer to that, but would guess that like everything else - each institution is different!

I want mine so I can stick it on the fridge or something!!

It can take as short as a week (depending on distance from mailing location) to months for the official acceptance. Sometimes the university will just send a mass-mailing with all the info once they figure out everyone they are accepting.

Congrats.

Congrats!

I first heard from the University of Toronto on 19 January, and though I've been getting a lot of enthusiasm from a lot of different professors (and have cleared the phone interview with no discernible problems), I still haven't been officially accepted. Heh!

Since schools make their admissions decisions on the department level, the admit list has to go through the graduate school before you're formally admitted. It could be that the department has decided to admit you but the grad school hasn't signed off on it. Don't worry, I haven't heard of anyone who was accepted by the department but rejected by the school; this last step is more of a formality. I think it's safe to start celebrating your admission to this school. Congrats!