my inbox remains disturbingly silent. anyone else?

I've seen that Northwestern English has started notifying, but no word from Comparative Literary Studies yet! I'm getting so terribly nervous...are comparative programs always a little later to notify? It seems only a few programs have sent out notifications this week. I've only heard from my backup so far (which is an MA program in English @ Middlebury College) and it's driving me absolutely nuts!

The total list of silent schools...

UPenn- PhD, Comparative Literature

Duke- PhD, Lit

UChicago- PhD, English

Columbia- PhD, English and Comparative

Northwestern- PhD, Comparative Literary Studies (home dept English or Philosophy)

UC San Diego- PhD, Lit

UC Santa Cruz- PhD, Lit

UMass Amherst- PhD, English

Anyone heard anything??? My head might explode. This experience has been crazy. Part of me wants to do it over again next year if I don't get into a PhD program (especially given the high volume of applicants this year thanks to the economy)...but part of me doesn't think I can take the emotional stress of the application process twice in back-to-back years! Sigh. Back to work...which means back to obsessing while pretending to do something else.

We have a few schools in common there, although I'm a regular old english person.. I can't seem to concentrate or get anything done except refresh the email and sulk over these message boards..

My guess is with the shitty economy, programs are notifying smaller batches at a time and waiting for concrete acceptances/rejections before making more offers to people they potentially cant fund..

sound about right?

I could have written your exact post (just switching out a few schools).

I am in agony.

I am so glad I'm not alone.

I was even entertaining the idea that I broke the 'refresh' function...

but I'm not yet crazed enough to be that irrational. :roll:

ack.

My stomach is in major knots and I feel sick!!! I hate this waiting, and knowing that others are being accepted into my program is just agonizing! I don't think I can possibly check "Application Status" or my email more times a minute than I have been! But the day is over so I guess I'll start again on Monday.... :(

Finally some folks that can commiserate with me. I am trying to use an Acceptance to help me motivate me write my thesis and my refresh is going to break soon too.

Although, it is nice to have something to look forward to everyday, even if it usually just results in disappointment.

Yes, there is indeed something inside me that wants to go through this same thing again next year; something like the feeling that I am slowly perfecting my awareness of this whole process; and this definitely has a lot to do with last minute regrets about app-packet quality. Oh well.

Someone on the results page said something helpful; something along the lines of 'you are not your app-packet.' I like that.

I applied to a couple of the schools on your list and I haven't heard anything yet! I feel like I'm going nuts sitting around twiddling my fingers. Most people I know who applied to other PhD programs (philosophy, classics, etc) have already heard at least some news. I'm guessing English depts have later deadlines just because of the tremendous number of apps they receive?

You've captured my thoughts perfectly.

Seriously, the thing that racks my nerves the most is hearing that other people got in to the programs I applied to and wondering why I haven't received any news (rejection or otherwise). I've heard UNC is on a rolling basis so as long as I don't get a rejection letter there is some hope.

Still, if I'm rejected I just want to know already!

The more days that go by without any news whatsoever, the more I feel like I'm waiting for something imaginary to come... did I really apply to all those schools? Did I imagine it?? Although it's relatively early in the game, I already feel as though I'm waiting for something - an envelope, an email, a phone call - that will never materialize.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

Aaah, the uncertainty of it all....

No news is good news I think. At least you know you haven't been rejected yet! I too am having a terrible time concentrating on anything, which is bad because I still have to finish this semester to complete my BA!!

I totally get your point with the whole imaginary thing--I guess this is the true definition of purgatory; some type Baudrillardian nightmare. This whole process, and especially the waiting, has allowed me to totally re-evaluate my values and my future, and has been a good reminder of the bureaucratic, unpredictable nature of literary studies. This is just a small taste of what life will be like; imagine waiting for notice from potential employers.....

That is my absolute worst fear of all time. Getting rejected across the board. My situation is a little different than others'. I am legally blind and live in a community without public transportation so.... another year of being with my parents, with no job, and no way to get around by myself. I actually cried last night at just the prospect of waiting another year.

Hang in there, riss. I got rejected from all but one school last year, an offer I didn't end up accepting, and this is my second time around. You'd think I would have learned from my mistakes, and while my app package was certainly stronger, I'm still worried about total rejection as well...I may have applied to too many reach schools. We'll make it though! Chin up, etc.

I applied to comp lit programs, too. I've only heard from 2--UCSD and UCR. I got rejected from UCSD and accepted into UCR. I'm thinking (hoping!) that comp lit notifies sometime after english. When I was in contact with UNCCH earlier (re transcripts), the lady stated that they reviewed comp lit after english. Maybe that holds true to other schools as well???

I applied to Duke, too, but haven't heard anything. Was Duke via letter or email?

You've captured my thoughts perfectly.

Seriously, the thing that racks my nerves the most is hearing that other people got in to the programs I applied to and wondering why I haven't received any news (rejection or otherwise). I've heard UNC is on a rolling basis so as long as I don't get a rejection letter there is some hope.

Still, if I'm rejected I just want to know already!

Have people heard from UNC English or Comp Lit??

Riss, are you applying in English? If so, I notice you applied to Ohio State - they have some real strengths in Disability Studies, which I noticed in the little thing next your name. If you have any questions about the program, I got my MA from there last June, and I'd be glad to help. Good luck!

Riss, are you applying in English? If so, I notice you applied to Ohio State - they have some real strengths in Disability Studies, which I noticed in the little thing next your name. If you have any questions about the program, I got my MA from there last June, and I'd be glad to help. Good luck!

Actually, I'm going for history, but also want to do the interdisciplinary studies in disability studies. I noticed the number of english classes for IDS program. That made me happy. OSU also is the home of the Disability History Association. They would be an amazing fit. I really hope I get in. Do you happen to know how many people took those courses in history? Did you take any of them?

I know they really want to promote the Interdisciplinary Disability Studies program since it's newer, so hopefully your interest in it will work in your favor! Our dept. put a lot of emphasis on encouraging people to learn more about disability studies because we had so many great people working in that area, so a lot of people took classes with faculty like Brenda Brueggeman, etc. I know a couple people who entered the dept. working on other areas but have moved to disability studies because they had such good classes with people like Brenda. I don't know anything at all about the History dept., but I can answer questions about Columbus if you have any. I wish you the very best of luck!

My inbox? Way, way, too silent.

I've seen some of my schools sending out rejections, others sending out acceptances. I get silence. My head will pop shortly. And if not my head, my wife's head. She spends more time here than I do.

Thanks for listening.