my inbox remains disturbingly silent. anyone else?

I still waiting to hear from:

University of Maryland's American Studies Ph.D.Program

University of Chicago's English Ph.D. Program

Miami University (Ohio)'s English Ph.D. Program

and

Texas Tech University's English Ph.D. Program

THIS IS KILLING ME!!!!!!!!

I hate this whole process: my increasingly dysfunctional relationship with my mailbox, phone, and computer, my neurotic/masochistic need to check this website. I am still waiting on 8 schools (which will probably be pared down to 7 by Friday as I am less than optimistic about UPENN).

The silence is deafening!!

I know it is still early...I should be positive, optimistic even...I guess my first rejection from Northwestern left a bad taste in my mouth and a cold dread that that is just the first domino to fall.

bae_dal said:
I should be positive, optimistic even...I guess my first rejection from Northwestern left a bad taste in my mouth and a cold dread that that is just the first domino to fall.

The above quotes describes me upon getting my rejection from Duke.

Then I was rejected by WUSTL, which left me feeling that I may be able to get into a program... maybe two.

Today, I was rejected by University of Maryland. Now, I am pretty sure that no Ph.D. program will accept me this year. So, I'm ready to just give up and try to find a job. Maybe I can complete emergency certification and teach, maybe I can try my luck at Teach-For-America, the Peace Corps. Whatever. The only problem is that I feel like I owe it to myself to wait for those last three rejection letters, pretending that one just may be an acceptance.

declarke85: I wouldn't give up hope. Even if you think UC is a long shot, If you are a good fit for Texas Tech or Miami then you should wait and see. I admittedly know little about the Am. Studies departments you applied to (so I can't speak to the WUSTL or Maryland results), but there's nor reason to take denials from UC (if that is indeed what has happened), Duke and Northwestern to be indicative of your chances at Texas Tech or Miami. Those first three are among the very most selective programs around- anyone could come up empty shooting for those stars. Perhaps you were a good candidate, but didn't quite make it in a tough year. You might still very well find that you're a top candidate at TT or Miami.

Lisa said:
I first saw the denial on the Chicago website--my status changed from pending to denied; I received a letter in the mail a few days later.

Where I submitted my application, all they have ever shown is "Application complete 12/17/08. CT"

Sorry to hear you got rejected. I would be so thrilled, honored, and excited if i got into U Chicago, but they were a long reach (much like Duke).

llerri said:
declarke85: I wouldn't give up hope. Even if you think UC is a long shot, If you are a good fit for Texas Tech or Miami then you should wait and see. I admittedly know little about the Am. Studies departments you applied to (so I can't speak to the WUSTL or Maryland results), but there's nor reason to take denials from UC (if that is indeed what has happened), Duke and Northwestern to be indicative of your chances at Texas Tech or Miami. Those first three are among the very most selective programs around- anyone could come up empty shooting for those stars. Perhaps you were a good candidate, but didn't quite make it in a tough year. You might still very well find that you're a top candidate at TT or Miami.

Thanks for this. My top two choices were Maryland & WUSTL, so I got really down yesterday. It sucked even more that Maryland's rejection basically said out of their applicants, I was probably in the top 10-15. The letter basically implied that the only reason i did not get accepted was because of the economy. :( I'm feeling better and hoping for Miami and Chicago. TT was kind of a safety school (weird to say that probably). It's not my top choice.

However, with Miami, there is good new. Apparently, they got a bigger budget this year than they had last year, so they will be able to fund more grad students than they could before. Whoo Hoo!!! So that sounds like that could be promising. (I got this inside scoop from a friend in the Ph.D. program.)

Have you still not heard from Texas Tech? Their recruitment weekend is March 6-8, so if you don't hear soon, it might not be good news. If your interests are in American Studies, it is probably not the best place for you anyway. The department is really heavy on British--18th C and Victorian.

Have you still not heard from Texas Tech? Their recruitment weekend is March 6-8, so if you don't hear soon, it might not be good news. If your interests are in American Studies, it is probably not the best place for you anyway. The department is really heavy on British--18th C and Victorian.

If I got into Tech I would go look at Postcolonial literature. They have a new/forming group in that. My officemate was accepted to Tech almost a month ago and was told that the recruitment weekend in early March was just for their strong/best applicants, not all of their Ph.D. acceptances. So... only time will tell.