UIC or CUNY Grad Center??

nycsoc

hello there! i was the one who posted the UIC admit. There was no indication in the email of when they would be sending out other notifications, but the open house/visit day is on March 2nd. hope this helps at least a little, but if you need to know anything else, let me know. a friend of mine got into CUNY grad center, but he has only heard informally, so im not sure what's up with that process.

Hi,

I was rejected by UIC, kinda sad coz I was thinking UIC might be my best fit. I dont know....

I have once sent an email to one of the profs at CUNY but she never replied. Now I am worried about that one.

Someone said CUNY has already made the decisions. I did not get any notifications, does that mean I am rejected?

Widefellow

• 2 weeks later...

hey stephen! yup, I'll be there at the Open House! The name's Nisha (from NYC) by the way. I'm kinda nervous, what are we supposed to do? I never know what to say to faculty, in all honesty. I hope they aren't expecting a spectacular display of intellectual prowess and interest because I'm DEFINITELY on my Senior Spring right now... me AND my brain, lol. :-)

I'm currently an over-involved SOC undergrad at UIC -- the faculty and current grad students are awesome; some of the most genuine down-to-earth people I've ever met. The immigration mobilization project expands multiple soc sci disciplines, and there are so many ways to get involved in it in various levels of commitment (a few of my fellow UG friends are working on it). The department as a whole seems relaxed, yet underacknowledgely bright -- if that makes sense. Faculty are doing some great work, and I only wish UIC's reputation met the caliber of the sociological work being done there.

I would have totally applied there for grad, but (a) I wanted to go somewhere different, and (B) my interests do not correlate with the department's AT ALL.

Feel free to shoot me general questions about the department/area/etc. -- bear in mind, though, that I experienced UIC as an undergrad. :D

• 1 month later...

The CUNY Sociology visit day was last week, it's my understanding that all of the admissions decisions have been made. That said, I know that in my cohort some people were notified late (April/May) so it's possible that a person could still hear some good news!

The Funding package was a little more than $14,000/yr for 4 years. That amount does not include summers. The student fees + health insurance were ~$900 a semester, so ~$1800 for the regular school year. I was also offered a one time fellowship of $1000. Hope that helps.

My neighbor is a UIC Soc Phd student and she likes the department a lot. The only complaint she mentioned was that her theory teacher was a Structural Functionalist.

The neighborhood is pretty cool, and relatively affordable for Chicago. Taylor Street is a lot of fun.