University of Washington - Statistics PhD

bas_b

I have noticed a past trend of all acceptances going out via email before the end of January and all rejections going out via email in February. I have yet to hear back, so are my chances of being accepted pretty low?

I'm in the same boat. It's happening for UC Berkeley and Ann Arbor as well I think. My thought is that they have internal waitlists of some kind, and they won't send out mass rejections until they have a certain number of potential admits/commitments.

So hope is not lost, I don't think, but I don't have my hopes up too much either. :/

"Slam-dunk" admits and clear rejects generally go out first. Everybody else goes into a "wait" pile of some kind. The size of this pile and how it is handled depends on the institution. Some will leave everybody in the pile until way late, others will create an official "waitlist" relatively early and reject everyone else in the pile.

They'll try to get *most* acceptances out before the visit date, I'm sure, but there are generally a few folks "in reserve" who may get the nod quite late depending on the number of people who take up their offers.