randomroad

fine mess,

thanks for the suggestion! looks like a great book.

Dont blame you for the Amazon link, I go for the used books a lot.

R Mutt,

Have you been to the school? I gotta get down there and visit soon. Friend of mine went for sculpture while back, i hear a lot of great things.

fine mess,

thanks for the suggestion! looks like a great book.

Dont blame you for the Amazon link, I go for the used books a lot.

R Mutt,

Have you been to the school? I gotta get down there and visit soon. Friend of mine went for sculpture while back, i hear a lot of great things.

I just graduated from there in December

I just graduated from there in December

You two need to talk, it sounds like.

I know UGA has a foundry, R. Mutt. What I meant was, it's not in the new building.

There actually is a "metal" room on the first floor (I think); I looked in there on Wednesday while looking for a friend's classroom. If it's not a metal shop/class, I don't know what it is.

Those publications are nutritious as well. However, there are ALOT of art magazines to choose from, it just depends on what your interests are. But, i do think Artforum is my favorite. There is also a great book for artists by philosopher Joseph Margolis titled, "What, After All, Is a Work of Art?".

Thanks, RortyRorty. I'll definitely check out Margolis’s book. I'm not familiar with Margolis's work, but the title of his book sounds promising. In terms of contemporary philosophers of art, I am mostly familiar with Arthur Danto and David Carrier. Thier books tend to be very interesting and very readable. I was especially impressed by David Carrier's Museum Skepticism. It's a great book for artists who want to think about art and art institutions philosophically.

@ Sympatico:

Art theory isn't super useful for making art, imo.

That may be true for many. I think the important thing is to recognize where one "is", and theory is the language people will use to sort out the context of your stuff. I go at things pretty intuitively in the studio, without operating under a strict conceptual framework, but I also tend to apply theory when it comes time to explain what I've done. Personally, if my work becomes too "idea first" it ends up looking prescribed in a way.

Of course it's important to be knowledgable about art and art theory, but I think it's even more important to study the things that inspire you to make art. If you're interested in string theory, read string theory. If you're interested in fairy tales, dig in to those. I've been surprised at how little bits of obscure knowledge or (non-art) theory wiggle their way into my work. It's exciting.

Be true to yourself and your interests; the art will follow.

Gold stars for all.