2012 GPPI Admissions

Just got a request for the one-page scholarship statement! SO EXCITED!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on what to focus my statement on? I don't know how to express myself without coming across like a giddy school girl.

Just got one too! I am so glad! Does anyone know if they have sent requests and then not offered any aid? Just curious... good luck to everyone!

Just got a request for the one-page scholarship statement! SO EXCITED!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on what to focus my statement on? I don't know how to express myself without coming across like a giddy school girl.

Here is my advice, and it may seem obvious and not very helpful, but I tried avoiding overt, over the top praise of Georgetown/the D.C. area since I know that is probably what a lot of essays say and that type of essay usually doesn't say anything specific. I tried to focus on what makes Georgetown's program unique over other programs (concentrations, types of classes offered, etc.) and how I would use those opportunities specifically toward my career goals.

I hope that helps!

Here is my advice, and it may seem obvious and not very helpful, but I tried avoiding overt, over the top praise of Georgetown/the D.C. area since I know that is probably what a lot of essays say and that type of essay usually doesn't say anything specific. I tried to focus on what makes Georgetown's program unique over other programs (concentrations, types of classes offered, etc.) and how I would use those opportunities specifically toward my career goals.

I hope that helps!

Not to be overly nosy but do you mind sharing what your award was? (you can totally ignore this if you don't want to!) Did they get back to you when they said they would or was it later? Just wondering because they are supposed to notify the night before the admitted student day and it would be great not to be stressed about it at the event haha.

I hope that helps!

Not to be overly nosy but do you mind sharing what your award was? (you can totally ignore this if you don't want to!) Did they get back to you when they said they would or was it later? Just wondering because they are supposed to notify the night before the admitted student day and it would be great not to be stressed about it at the event haha.

I echo ahoskins request XD I included 2 lines about DC and GPPI being a quality program, but also included what aspects of the program are unique and how it would assist me in my future goals. Unfortunately, it only netted me 5k/year =[ My hope is that a lot of folks who have been granted aid choose other programs so I can get a larger piece of that aid pie!

GPPI would be awesome, but a career in public service with $80-100k in debt hovering over my head would be senseless.

Not a problem. I was given a $20k scholarship/year. I believe they got back to me when they said they would, probably within a week or two of sending in my essay.

I hope that helps!

Thanks so much ahoskins! Congrats, hopefully see you this fall haha

Not a problem. I was given a $20k scholarship/year. I believe they got back to me when they said they would, probably within a week or two of sending in my essay.

Do you mind also posting your stats? I was under the impression I wasn't provided an impressive aid package due to my not-so stellar GPA and GRE quantitative score.

Do you mind also posting your stats? I was under the impression I wasn't provided an impressive aid package due to my not-so stellar GPA and GRE quantitative score.

GPA was 3.93 from NYU, and I took the GMAT and LSAT instead of the GRE. I scored a 172 on the LSAT and 760 on the GMAT. I don't have super stellar work experience. I have worked at a law firm as a paralegal for three years and have also done some campaigning. Hope this helps!

GPA was 3.93 from NYU, and I took the GMAT and LSAT instead of the GRE. I scored a 172 on the LSAT and 760 on the GMAT. I don't have super stellar work experience. I have worked at a law firm as a paralegal for three years and have also done some campaigning. Hope this helps!

THAT EXPLAINS IT!!!!!!! ha ha ha What an amazing test taker... I'm sure your brilliance can also be demonstrated in your work. So is GPPI on your list of schools your considering?

They can't rescind my admittance based on this scholarship statement, right? haha I ended up writing it last minute and I'm not even sure it passes as English...oops

$5 if you receive a smaller scholarship than me XD Our stats are very similar, except my gre quan score is 5 points higher and I have had relevant policy work for 3 years. Regardless, that still only netted me $5k. I think they take strong consideration of gpa/gre in doling out the scholarships.

I feel these statements are to assist them in confirming whether or not you will receive what they already through you should receive. Perhaps someone will have an outstanding statement, but it's hard to be compelling w/ what they request for in the statement. Regardless, I'm sure you'll be fine =D

THAT EXPLAINS IT!!!!!!! ha ha ha What an amazing test taker... I'm sure your brilliance can also be demonstrated in your work. So is GPPI on your list of schools your considering?

I'm between Maxwell, Heinz and GPPI. To be honest, the biggest factor for me is going to be deciding which city offers the best housing options for me and my 70 lb. dog (sadly, I'm only half kidding). I will probably choose between Maxwell and Heinz to cut down cost of living, though.

I'm between Maxwell, Heinz and GPPI. To be honest, the biggest factor for me is going to be deciding which city offers the best housing options for me and my 70 lb. dog (sadly, I'm only half kidding). I will probably choose between Maxwell and Heinz to cut down cost of living, though.

SADFACE! Yesterday, I chatted with someone I know who graduated from GPPI last May. She said she relied on loans and fortunately received a rare fellowship in her second year that covered half of her tuition. Regardless, she said it was still a good decision and she was picked up as a coordinator for the White House fellows program after interning there last Summer. As I'm sure everyone on here is aware, she definitely weighed the internship opportunities heavily in making her decision.

As for your dog, well, it has yet to be logistically or financially possible for me to have such a pet. However, I understand how strong that connection will be. Goodluck w your decision!

I got several generic open house emails mentioning that another round of funding decisions would be made soon. A couple of days ago I got another email saying that my award offer had been increased. I'm really happy about that and it looks like I will be going to GPPI.

I got several generic open house emails mentioning that another round of funding decisions would be made soon. A couple of days ago I got another email saying that my award offer had been increased. I'm really happy about that and it looks like I will be going to GPPI.

Do you mind sharing what your initial offer was and how much did they increase it to?

How was the open house? Impressive? I'm planning to go to the 13th one.

I was very impressed by the open house. I knew almost everything that they covered fact-wise about the program, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the other admits, faculty, and current students all seemed like thoughtful, intelligent, and driven people who really care about policy issues. I was slightly hesitant going into the open house because of Georgetown's undergraduate reputation (not very diverse, overly privileged, etc.) but found that as far as I could tell, none of that applied. They definitely played up the DC location, but my impression was that it is a truly strong program with amazing connections and excellent placement in internships and careers. I also loved the sample class on International Policy and found it interesting and engaging. Feel free to PM with any questions! I am pretty set on heading there this fall.

Edited by ahoskins321

Hello folks! I'm wondering, did GPPI send out admissions packages via postal mail? I only received the admitted email on March 19th. Also, no information on financial aid has yet been communicated to me, apart from the Open House email sent out on March 27th stating that additional financial aid decisions would be made in the near future. Is anyone else in a similar situation? I wasn't overly concerned at first, since I gathered from previous postings that most people had experienced delays in receiving decisions, etc., but I'm getting nervous since the enrollment deadline is in two weeks!

I was accepted in early Feb and didn't receive my package in the mail until mid-March, so definitely don't expect it anytime soon. With that said, there was no new information in there.

My final fin aid package hasn't been finalized b/c I didn't turn in the grad student supplemental form, so turn it in if you haven't yet! http://finaid.georgetown.edu/document/1242766478053/2012-13_GradApp_Form_Online_pub_0001.pdf