The official EE Graduate Admission Results 2009 Thread

inactive_since_inf

Hi twocosmicfish,

Congrats on your acceptance to NW!

Can you tell me if the following website: http://ask.mccormick.northwestern.edu/index.php

has been updated with your status? Sometimes NW is a bit slow in getting the info online.

Did they email you as well?

Thanks! =)

Thanks! I had never seen that website, and am not sure what application number it is asking for - when I submitted I did not receive one. I got my admission notice through the application website: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=nwu-grad

I had been contacted previously by one of the professors, who had indicated that I would be accepted, but have not heard from him since. I have not had any other communication from the department.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I had never seen that website, and am not sure what application number it is asking for - when I submitted I did not receive one. I got my admission notice through the application website: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=nwu-grad

I had been contacted previously by one of the professors, who had indicated that I would be accepted, but have not heard from him since. I have not had any other communication from the department.

They sent me an email with subject: Graduate Studies Application Status and that had the application ID and the website I mentioned earlier. Mine still says "A decision has not yet been rendered" which was why I was asking if yours said something different.

Anyways, congrats again! Good luck.

They sent me an email with subject: Graduate Studies Application Status and that had the application ID and the website I mentioned earlier. Mine still says "A decision has not yet been rendered" which was why I was asking if yours said something different.

Anyways, congrats again! Good luck.

Ah - I found that email. All the McCormick site does is refer you to the app.apply... site I mentioned above.

Anyone receives news from UBC or U of T (MASc program)?

UBC automatic e-mail says that most accepted applicants are contacted in late-Feb and early-Mar, but my status is still "circulating" as I write.

U of T status is always "application received." I applied to U of T in late-Feb though because they extended the deadline (now they extend it again, what the...?)

Anyone receives news from UBC or U of T (MASc program)?

UBC automatic e-mail says that most accepted applicants are contacted in late-Feb and early-Mar, but my status is still "circulating" as I write.

U of T status is always "application received." I applied to U of T in late-Feb though because they extended the deadline (now they extend it again, what the...?)

I attended the visit day of U of T on Feb. 12 and 13. They sent a series of acceptances a week later (Feb 16th and 17th). I talked with several faculties there and they told me that there will be three round of acceptances. One was Feb. 16th and 17th, the other on March 9th and 10th and the last one will be around April 1st. They also told me that according the ECE recent decision the RA that a faculty should pay to an international student has increased a lot (because the university doesn't pay the difference between international and domestic tuition any more) and right now an international student costs them 2.5 times a domestic one and therefore the chance for an int. student to get in is very very small.

I think the reason for extending the deadline is to receive more domestic applicants and try to somehow compensate for the loss they will undergo by not taking high quality int. applicants.

Someone earlier mentioned that UIUCs open house is in mid March. The email i received after applying to UIUC also said that decisions are typically available by mid March. Only one day is left before the weekend and i have not yet heard anything from UIUC? Does this mean that those who still havent heard are going to be rejected?

Someone earlier mentioned that UIUCs open house is in mid March. The email i received after applying to UIUC also said that decisions are typically available by mid March. Only one day is left before the weekend and i have not yet heard anything from UIUC? Does this mean that those who still havent heard are going to be rejected?

UIUC open house is on March 19th.

I suspect that the U of T that Canada_ECE_Master is referring to is the University of Toronto, not the University of Texas-Austin, since they also applied to two other Canadian schools, UBC (University of British Columbia) and McGill. I am still waiting on the University of Texas, and as far as I know, they did not extend their application deadline. Correct me if I'm wrong.

hoping,

I still have not heard back from UIUC as of March 14.

I have been accepted into Stanford (M.S., no funding), CMU (M.S., no funding), UMCP (PhD, funding). Rejected from MIT and Princeton.

I'm a bit torn between Stanford, UMCP, UIUC (if I get in), and CMU. Stanford has an excellent program, but tuition is quite high. UMCP is offering generous funding and I can just go for M.S. if I want but it does not have as good of a program as Stanford. UIUC seems to be the best of both worlds.. very competitive program (3rd?) and relatively low tuition. Aside from these factors, I also want to pick a program that aligns well with my interests. I'd like to focus on RFIC Design or Electromagnetics and I do have interests in biomedical applications. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

tchiman27

Congratulations on your admissions. I too applied to MIT and Stanford but got rejected. However, my top choice has always been UIUC. I just dont know why i applied to the other two. If i were in your place, i would wait for UIUC since admission in Stanford means your profile is good. If you are offered funding at UIUC, i would suggest you go for it. Stanford is good but i really dont believe that we should pay so much for grad school.

As far as UMCP is concerned i dont have an idea about their program. However, for Masters, i would still prefer UMCP over Stanford if i get funding. After Masters, there may be more chances of getting funding at Stanford for PhD.

This is just my opinion on what i would have done if i were in your place. However, i must tell you that there is no way i can afford to pay the fees of even one year without taking loans. So i am obviously more inclined towards admission with funding.

Hi friends.....

I have also applied for masters.

applied-U of T,UBC,U of waterloo,U of Calgary.

rejected-N/A.

I completed my application of UBC long back on 6th of december but still its showing "circulating" on status.

So how long you guys think results will come out.

Any news on UIUC? Still I am waiting for the result though it seems to be a rejection.

I think they fell a little behind. They admitted the fellowship admits weeks ago, and have been kicking around the rest of us since then - I do not think many (if any) others were admitted yet. I just got my "Admitted" email an hour ago, but I asked them for an answer a few times over the last few weeks because I have an outside funding source that needs to approve my decision. I would expect them to get the rest of the decisions (both ways!) over the next week or two.

Has anyone had any chance getting an update on their application status from any of the following schools?

- Harvard SEAS (Ph.D.)

- UPenn SEAS (Ph.D.)

- Carnegie-Mellon ECE (Ph.D.)

Both Harvard and Carnegie-Mellon are being obstinate about not saying anything over the phone... I have no idea what's going on at UPenn.

I think they fell a little behind. They admitted the fellowship admits weeks ago, and have been kicking around the rest of us since then - I do not think many (if any) others were admitted yet. I just got my "Admitted" email an hour ago, but I asked them for an answer a few times over the last few weeks because I have an outside funding source that needs to approve my decision. I would expect them to get the rest of the decisions (both ways!) over the next week or two.

I just got another "admitted" email from UIUC, this time indicating that the graduate college had made an offical admission decision - viewable on the app.applyyourself website. So if anyone is still waiting on UIUC, it might be a good time to check your mail...

Has anyone had any chance getting an update on their application status from any of the following schools?

- Harvard SEAS (Ph.D.)

- UPenn SEAS (Ph.D.)

- Carnegie-Mellon ECE (Ph.D.)

Both Harvard and Carnegie-Mellon are being obstinate about not saying anything over the phone... I have no idea what's going on at UPenn.

I am also waiting for Harvard. They said results would come out on mid-March but there is still no word of decision.

Anyone has news from UCSD or UCSB? There are 3 rejections and an admission from UCSB on the board but I still did not get an answer. It looks like nobody has god damn clue about UCSD :roll:

Hello All,

Did anyone hear from UIUC MS ECE ? Many MS admit postings are present in results page. Did any of you admitted to VLSI programme ?

Also Did any of know the possibilities of CMU PhD waitlist getting converted to an admit ? I came to know that there is very little chance that a waitlisted candidate gets admit in top 5 univs (like MIT, UCB etc )? Is same scenario aplicable to CMU? Please post if you know some stats in this regard.? I value CMU ECE programme more than my other admits and curious to know the possibilities of getting an admit ?

Can any of you who had undergard or post grad experiance in Michigan EE or Austin ECE(VLSI), can contrast the ECE departments strengths in terms of job opportunities , Research standings , Faculty to student ratio etc ? I know both of them are highly valued ones , yet i know want know the finer points for choosing the univ that is best suited for a research career?

@mystique_engrave

I believe that chances for admission in UIUC now are very low. As far as CMU waitlist is concerned, i know a friend who was among top three in waitlist two three years back but he was not called. So you can get an idea of how tough it really is. However, lets hope that you do get called.

I have now only Gatech left but its already too late and i am starting fear the worst. Does anyone know when the Gatech people will finalize admission decisions. If anyone has any news, please share it with us.

@mystique_engrave

I believe that chances for admission in UIUC now are very low. As far as CMU waitlist is concerned, i know a friend who was among top three in waitlist two three years back but he was not called. So you can get an idea of how tough it really is. However, lets hope that you do get called.

I have now only Gatech left but its already too late and i am starting fear the worst. Does anyone know when the Gatech people will finalize admission decisions. If anyone has any news, please share it with us.

According to a memo from the chair of graduate study of ECE to faculty members, Georgia Tech has wrapped up the Fall admission process on March 23 and you should hear from them soon.

According to a memo from the chair of graduate study of ECE to faculty members, Georgia Tech has wrapped up the Fall admission process on March 23 and you should hear from them soon.

Does this mean that they have already sent out all of the admits or does this mean they have finalized all decisions and will be communicating them (good and bad)? Can you please tell me how you obtain such news?