The official EE Graduate Admission Results 2009 Thread

inactive_since_inf

Congrats to everyone who was accepted to their programs. I'm having a tough time trying to decide between UIUC and Stanford (M.S.EE). I'd like to specialize in RF IC design/Electromagnetics. Both schools have excellent programs but each have their strengths and weaknesses. Being near Silicon Valley is a big plus with Stanford, but I hear that UIUC grads get a good number of job offers. Stanford obviously has a good reputation, with UIUC not having as big of a "name". Can anyone offer some insight? I need to make a decision very soon...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to everyone who was accepted to their programs. I'm having a tough time trying to decide between UIUC and Stanford (M.S.EE). I'd like to specialize in RF IC design/Electromagnetics. Both schools have excellent programs but each have their strengths and weaknesses. Being near Silicon Valley is a big plus with Stanford, but I hear that UIUC grads get a good number of job offers. Stanford obviously has a good reputation, with UIUC not having as big of a "name". Can anyone offer some insight? I need to make a decision very soon...

Congratz to tchiman27 for the acceptances.

I just graduated from UIUC last december. And I would like to share you some insight about the school. It has decent programs and excellent faculties in both RF and IC fabrication field. Moreover, the current head of department, Prof Cangellaris is a very excellent professor in EM and RF field. I had been taught by him in EM class last december, and he taught us both the theory and the practical aspect of the course brilliantly.

I heard that there would be many big new projects in the RF field, though i'm not so sure about it.

Contacting the faculties in both schools will give you a lot more informations.

Good luck and congratz!.

offered: Stanford, Gatech, UIUC, Cornell (BME)

rejected: MIT, UCB

waiting: uMich (BME)

all Master degree

Hi everyone! I'm new here, but have been reading this thread for a while.

I got an admission to read Stanford EE towards a MS / Ph.D. Now I'm waiting for my funding desperately. The Stanford EE admission office is very caged about the funding status. Has Stanford EE applicant here got any updated news about funding yet? Thank you very much for your information!

Applied: MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Princeton, Berkeley, Cambridge (all in EE / EECS)

Accepted :D : Stanford, Cambridge

Rejected :( : MIT, Princeton, Berkeley

Waiting: Caltech

Hey jcm! Congratulations on your offers! I didn't get into MIT either.

So have you decided to come to the US? I wish to enter Stanford EE for MS/Ph.D but it's so hard for me to say yes without any funding... You got update news about funding yet? My potential supervisor here at Cambridge is really being nice to me and don't let me go. But I still recon Stanford as a better place for academia (I really hope I'm right this time!!!)

Anyone received decisions from UPenn's Electrical and Systems Engg department? I applied for a PhD.

I have not heard back yet either, but I have friends who have already been accepted, invited to Open Houses, etc. I'm not expecting much to be honest... although they have a really strong team in Control, I do hope you get in!

I have not heard back yet either, but I have friends who have already been accepted, invited to Open Houses, etc. I'm not expecting much to be honest... although they have a really strong team in Control, I do hope you get in!

Thanks a lot space_invaders. .....Keeping fingers crossed...... :)

Anyone know what is going on with UC Santa Barbara and GeorgiaTech?

No word from them at all and it's very annoying. If they are going to reject me I wish they can make it quick - I am itching to start my preparations for UMich.

Also I hear UIUC will be sending out replies (i.e. mass rejections) tomorrow so I also wish that would happen quickly.

Mass email to ECE applicants from Georgia Tech: "We are in the process of sending out decisions electronically and will be finished by April 10". Still no decision...

Yes this email seems to be preparing us for rejections beforehand. I hope i am wrong.

Yes this email seems to be preparing us for rejections beforehand. I hope i am wrong.

Won't be surprised at all. I have almost resigned myself to UMich anyway (not to knock on its education quality, but the freezing midwest is a bit...)

Salvador Limones wrote:

"Mass email to ECE applicants from Georgia Tech: "We are in the process of sending out decisions electronically and will be finished by April 10". Still no decision..."

Did you all already receive this email? I haven't gotten it yet. What do you think this means? Have I fallen through a crack?? Should I be worried??? I'm usually not this neurotic...really!

I have yet to hear anything back from Caltech (expected rejection), and Cornell (not sure what is going on there...). I was also admitted into the PhD program in ECE at Univ. of Mich Ann-Arbor, but have not received any information on financial aid. It has been over a month since I received the admission notice from them so I am beginning to get worried. Anyone else in the same boat with them?

Rejected: MIT, Berkeley

Accepted: UIUC(PhD), CMU(PhD), GaTech(PhD), UofMaryland(PhD), UofMich(PhD)

Waiting: Cornell, Caltech

I have yet to hear anything back from Caltech (expected rejection), and Cornell (not sure what is going on there...). I was also admitted into the PhD program in ECE at Univ. of Mich Ann-Arbor, but have not received any information on financial aid. It has been over a month since I received the admission notice from them so I am beginning to get worried. Anyone else in the same boat with them?

Hi golf4729. I haven't heard from Caltech either so I expect a rejection from them. Waiting for funding decision can be tough, coz I have been waiting Stanford EE funding for over a month too! No news about funding since Stanford emailed me the admission letter.

Has anyone got updated news about Stanford funding decisions? Thanks!

:D Stanford (EE MS/Ph.D), Cambridge Univ (SigProc Ph.D)

:( MIT(EECS), Berkeley (EECS), Princeton (EE)

:?: Caltech (EE)

Ah, those mass UIUC rejections finally came in. Took them a while - now I just need to wait for UCSB and GATech.

Speaking of which, golf4729, I'm in same boat as you - admitted to UMich but no word on funding at all - it's very frustrating.

Hey jcm! Congratulations on your offers! I didn't get into MIT either.

So have you decided to come to the US? I wish to enter Stanford EE for MS/Ph.D but it's so hard for me to say yes without any funding... You got update news about funding yet? My potential supervisor here at Cambridge is really being nice to me and don't let me go. But I still recon Stanford as a better place for academia (I really hope I'm right this time!!!)

Hey~ umm... yes it is quite expensive :( I'm applying for some funding from Australia. I haven't heard back about funding from Stanford yet.

Otherwise, I'll just have to work hard to get a TA position after the first semester.

In other news, I got rejected from Caltech :(

Also, I would have thought Cambridge was better for academia... Stanford seems more industry focused since it is right next to silicon valley.

There are so few Gatech acceptances on board but Gatech has started rejecting people. Gatech has one of the largest ECE programs so its posts should have been the more. Does anyone have any news about whats the problem there?

hoping- I agree there doesn't seem to be much action on the Georgia Tech accepts. Being of the Engineering slant I looked at the numbers, since I tend to over analyze things like this. In the last month there have been 11 posts for Georgia Tech acceptances/rejections on the results thread. Here is the breakdown:

8 PhD Candidates rejected by both email and website 2/26, 3/13, 3/14, 3/16, 3/28, and 4/1

1 MS Candidate rejected by website 4/2

2 PhD Candidates accepted by email 3/14 and 4/1

This late in the game, with so few acceptances posted, it seems there still must be a lot of acceptances out there. At least we can hope!!

Hey~ umm... yes it is quite expensive :( I'm applying for some funding from Australia. I haven't heard back about funding from Stanford yet.

Otherwise, I'll just have to work hard to get a TA position after the first semester.

In other news, I got rejected from Caltech :(

Also, I would have thought Cambridge was better for academia... Stanford seems more industry focused since it is right next to silicon valley.

Thanks for your information! Although chances may be slim for us to get financial aid from Stanford, let's just keep fingers crossed...

I did contact some faculties at Stanford to see whether they could offer assistanceship, but apprently they don't quite bother replying to me.

Should you hear any news about funding, will you please let me know? Many thanks!

I applied to PhD programs. Below are my results.

Accepted: Georgia Tech, University of Florida, University of Utah, Johns Hopkins (no funding at JHU, though).

Waitlisted: MIT

Rejected from PhD but accepted to MS program: Stanford