MA Anthro of Development at SOAS: where are past students?

Takanari

Hi,

I applied for MA in anthropology of development at SOAS, Sussex and Cambridge (MPhil in Social anthropology for Cambridge).

I got offers from Sussex and SOAS, and waiting for the result from Cambridge.

If given an offer for Cambridge, I would still be at a loss which one to pick out of those 3 school; I lack info, because I am Japanese and cannot go see the school and students there.

In order to decide which school, I need to know: where are past MA students of SOAS (anthro of development) now and what do they do?

Many of Sussex's past students are working as development practitioners, as the school's website lets know.

Cambridge, on the other hand, I believe many of its past students (more than Sussex at least) are doing extended research.

What about SOAS?? What do many of past students from SOAS's Anthro of Development do after completing the programme?

And if you know the answer to the same question concerning Cambridge, it would be a great help for me too.

Can anyone please help me? I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

Takanari

(I posted before and apparently no one had an answer... so I decided to ask a different question.)

• 4 weeks later...

I did my junior year abroad at SOAS studying social-cultural anthropology. I didn't enjoy it. The professors lecture, the students were not that engaged, and I felt they moved too fast to really learn the subject. Also SOAS has no recognition outside of London...

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Carolyn

Thank you for sharing your experience. I also heard someone say Uni of London schools are about mass-production, which I believe means lectures move too fast to really learn the subject.

And, SOAS has no recognition outside of London? That's interesting because I thought it does have considerable recognition. May I ask about that more in detail? Which schools do you think are more recognised than SOAS?

Thank you.

Takanari