Trenchant advice on doing well in a science phd

trippp

Hello all.

I'm going to start my science phd in the fall and am already a little nervous.

I realize that the entirety of a science phd experience cannot be summarized in a book, but i would like for you to recommend some books with sound advice on how to do well in a science phd.

I found the following useful:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465022227/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any other books you can recommend?

Anything like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Your-Journal-Twelve-Weeks/dp/141295701X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c

Academia in STEM fields puts some (if not the most) of the most pressure on its students to publish to do well. We get some of that pressure, too, in business, but it's a lot more diffuse and there is a lot more room for 'mediocrity' while still having a high chance at getting a TT job afterward.

Reading will only get you so far. Get your practical skills up to level and just get focused on research.

Lol..."science PhD."

Sorry, I just found it funny how vague you were. What field are you in?

I didn't want to spew my life story when all I was after was books about how to be a good researcher/scientist. Since you must know :), I will be starting my phd at mit's bioinformatics and integrative genomics program.

I didn't want to spew my life story when all I was after was books about how to be a good researcher/scientist. Since you must know :), I will be starting my phd at mit's bioinformatics and integrative genomics program.

Cool. There's a big difference between spilling your life story and specifying what field you are in. I'm always interested to know what field everyone is in.