Tips for second take?

jerzygrl

Three of the five schools I applied to have notified admits and all I have is silence :( Two of these schools were my best fits and I am not too hopeful at this point for the last two schools.

Any second year applicants to cultural programs who can share some tips about prepping for the next application cycle? How can I make my applications more competitive? Most likely I will not apply this fall. This has been a very stressful process and I do not think I can jump right back in so soon which means I have a whole year (and a half) to really make my applications shine. For those of you admitted the second time around, what do you think made your applications shine this time?

I would reapply for next year. Some schools won't accept you on the first try just to see how much you want it. It's like they are playing hard to get. And plus it's just one less year you can apply. Maybe visit before the deadlines, present at conferences and get publish would help your chances.

I would reapply for next year. Some schools won't accept you on the first try just to see how much you want it. It's like they are playing hard to get. And plus it's just one less year you can apply. Maybe visit before the deadlines, present at conferences and get publish would help your chances.

I've also been thinking that I may need to try again next year. I still have hope, but I've realized I may not get in anywhere. I was wondering if you have any advice on how to get published or present at conferences when you're out of academia. I'm working full time doing research, but not in the field (it pays the bills... mostly) so any work research or publication won't be directly related to anthropology. Thanks for any advice!

Well, just got my first two responses, which were both rejections, so I think I'll be joining in on this thread as well... I'm also curious about suggestions to/from bioarch people.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if there is any use in contacting graduate programs and asking for input on how you could improve?

Edited by aelizabeth

Do you have archaeological or bioarchaeological field experience? I think my time in the field made me a better scholar and a better candidate in the eyes of admissions committees. Excavating human remains in their context provides much more insight into what bioarch should be than just opening boxes in storage.

I don't think it would hurt to contact departments asking for tips. The worst they can do to you at this point is ignore you. Plus, they get a chance to see how serious and committed you are to their department or the field and could remember that in the next application cycle.

Edited by Bregma210

Do you have archaeological or bioarchaeological field experience? I think my time in the field made me a better scholar and a better candidate in the eyes of admissions committees. Excavating human remains in their context provides much more insight into what bioarch should be than just opening boxes in storage.

I don't think it would hurt to contact departments asking for tips. The worst they can do to you at this point is ignore you. Plus, they get a chance to see how serious and committed you are to their department or the field and could remember that in the next application cycle.

I've done both a field school and worked as an osteological research assistant in the field, so hopefully it's not lack of experience that did me in. Then again, I DO know some very lucky individuals with generous parents who have been to 5+ field schools.

Thanks for the input!