Research Rotations - A time to stink

OldDome

I'm doing the second research rotation as part of my program, and it's not going well. I've never felt like such an incompetent idiot.

My first rotation ended up going well in the end, but I asked my advisor if he'd be willing to take me as a PhD student at the end of the year and the response was "I'd have to think about it" which means 'NO!'

I just feel like at the end everyone's going to end up asking why in the hell anyone let me in.

Research rotations can be quite hard- you don't have long enough to really smooth out any bumps from early on, and especially with your first rotation, you're acclimating to a lot of different stuff at once.

Just keep doing your best, it will get better. If you really want to work in that first group, you might be able to ask for a second shorter rotation to "reprove" yourself towards the end of the year. If there are other groups you're just as interested in, just move on and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Well the first one wasn't the one I really wanted to work with. The one I'm in now I would like to.

Most of all, though, I'm just afraid that at the end of all 3 no one will take me.

I've been told by some grad students that it's basically never an issue, but if it is they'll just stick you somewhere because, as long as you're in good academic standing, they don't want to kick you out after paying for you for a year. I hope that's true.

• 1 month later...

You could ask for feedback to see if there is a glaring issue or something you could fix that makes you undesirable. You could send an email asking what were 3 things you did well in and 3 things that you could improve.

• 3 weeks later...

Stay optimistic and stick it out! You'll be just fine. I know how hard rotations are -- I did 4+ rotations before I landed in my current thesis lab, and being told "I have to think about taking you on, because [insert reasons]" again and again really wore me down a lot mentally. Remember, your program recruited you there, they are responsible for finding you a lab home even all of your rotations failed (of course, if you remain in good academic standing). Asking for feedbacks on your rotation performance is a good idea, it shows that your attitude.

If it comes to the worst -- that you cannot join the lab you love after N rotations -- be ready to open up to new research areas that you've never considered before. You'll never know what you will find. Good luck, you will be just fine!

I don't know how practical this is, but it's something that I try to follow.. Don't wait till the end of the task to ask for feedback and do a self examination.. maybe you could ask the prof who you are doing your current rotation with how it's going and whether you could be doing anything better..

Thanks for your support guys.

I think I was putting too much pressure on myself to get results in a short period of time, so I was majorly strung out.

That second lab, at first I wanted to get in but now, to be honest, I'm kind of afraid I will. The PI and I got along well, but the other people in lab and I never really connected.

I didn't think it bothered me until I moved onto the next rotation and found what a difference it made being around people who will actually talk to you without you having to directly ask them a question.

For that reason, a fresh start somewhere else does just sound appealing. If I'm offered that lab, though, I'm not sure I'll be able to say 'no' without it looking bad, so I'll just make the best of whatever happens.

Edited by OldDome

Thanks for your support guys.

I think I was putting too much pressure on myself to get results in a short period of time, so I was majorly strung out.

That second lab, at first I wanted to get in but now, to be honest, I'm kind of afraid I will. The PI and I got along well, but the other people in lab and I never really connected.

I didn't think it bothered me until I moved onto the next rotation and found what a difference it made being around people who will actually talk to you without you having to directly ask them a question.

For that reason, a fresh start somewhere else does just sound appealing. If I'm offered that lab, though, I'm not sure I'll be able to say 'no' without it looking bad, so I'll just make the best of whatever happens.

Not feeling connected to the people is probably less of an issue, in my opinion. As long as they don't annoy you or doing anything out of line to you, it should be okay. Can't really predict these people things! Maybe next year there will be someone you like joining the lab.