How important are conferences? And how much would you shell out to present at one?

I recently found out I was accepted to a conference in Anchorage, AK. The problem is my department is only funding me a small portion of the travel expenses. In short, I'd have to shell out over $1,000 to attend this thing.

Is this worth it?

How important are conferences on our CVs and how much have/would you spend to attend just one?

Thanks

I'm conflicted on this one as well. I was accepted to the Bram Stoker centenary conference at Trinity College in Dublin in July but I won't be able to justify the necessary expenditure to go :(

AHHHHHHHHHHH! Can i go for you!? :D I'd love to present from my MFA thesis on vampires. D:

I say if you can afford it, it's worth it for several reasons. My husband and I double conferences as vacations, so wherever I present that year, we save up money and make a vacation out of it so we aren't spending all that money just to go to the conference. I highly recommend going to conferences not just for your CV, but for networking and rejuvenating your interest in the discipline I always feel so energized and excited after presenting my paper and hearing the papers of others. Also, one of my professors told me that a big reason that he got the tenure track job he did after graduating was because of all the conferences he went to. He said he networked and met a ton of people which helped him get interviews for jobs, and it showed his commitment to the field. Look at it as an investment in your future. They never hurt, so if you can afford it, turn it into a vacation and go!

Edited by Timshel

I say if you can afford it, it's worth it for several reasons. My husband and I double conferences as vacations, so wherever I present that year, we save up money and make a vacation out of it so we aren't spending all that money just to go to the conference. I highly recommend going to conferences not just for your CV, but for networking and rejuvenating your interest in the discipline I always feel so energized and exciting after presenting my paper and hearing the papers of others. Also, one of my professors told me that a big reason that he got the tenure track job he did after grading was because of all the conferences he went to. He said he networked and met a ton of people which helped him get interviews for jobs, and it showed his commitment to the field. Look at it as an investment in your future. They never hurt, so if you can afford it, turn it into a vacation and go!

All great reasons to attend, but $1000 is still b-a-na-na-s!

Sometimes you can find funding other places. Have you asked your supervisor if she or he knows of any other external travel funding sources? For example, the conference I'm presenting at in the spring has pre-conference seminars for grad students that come with scholarships. They were not easy to find out about... you might have to do some digging, but you could always contact the association that is holding the conference. Also, can you find a way to share accommodations with other grad students? Some conferences have bulletin boards or forums for this kind of thing.

Is this a grad conference? Because I was recently accepted to attend an undergrad conference for which I will have to pay quite a bit to get to, and I'm thinking I won't go. I definitely agree with the networking argument and I, too, have felt rejuvenated about my discipline after presenting and talking to others who are passionate about similar things, but undergrad conferences won't matter much in 4-5 years, when we are applying for jobs. They'll want to see graduate/"professional" conferences. If it's a major conference, on the other hand, it might be worth going.

Just my 2¢ B)

Is this a grad conference? Because I was recently accepted to attend an undergrad conference for which I will have to pay quite a bit to get to, and I'm thinking I won't go. I definitely agree with the networking argument and I, too, have felt rejuvenated about my discipline after presenting and talking to others who are passionate about similar things, but undergrad conferences won't matter much in 4-5 years, when we are applying for jobs. They'll want to see graduate/"professional" conferences. If it's a major conference, on the other hand, it might be worth going.

Just my 2¢ B)

This. I never spent money for an undergrad or grad conference, only professional ones.

I can't justify spending that much when there are a lot of conferences closer to home-- was accepted into one in Europe to present last Fall... got $700 in funding but it still wasn't enough to even cover the plane ticket. I just couldn't afford it. Someday, yes. Maybe even when I'm a PhD student and need to network for jobs. But while I am working on my MA, I just couldn't justify it. (I even speak the language and have been to the country before-- aching to go back!)

Conferences matter more for PhD applications if you have your Masters. They don't expect many with only BAs to have gone to conferences. Also, as said previously, they won't make or break a PhD application, but they look good overall for applications, jobs, networking, etc.

To clarify: I am finishing my MA now. I never bothered to go to conferences or fret over publications and I don't think it has hurt me at all.

I believe that the most important thing about an application is the demonstration of potential. They'd rather take someone with nothing on their CV but who seems to know what academic discourse is and how it works, than someone with a flush CV but lacking in the ability to articulate themselves well.

Edited by WellSpring

It isn't going to hurt you to not have any conferences on your CV. Venti got in to his top choice program, and I know for certain he hasn't presented at any conferences and he was applying with MA in hand to PhD program. I have 2 national and 1 regional conference presentation under my belt, but I went for the experience. I got travel grants for each conference that covered the majority of the expense.

I also utilized conferences as a vacation/networking opportunity. You do see some of the same faces at conferences, and it is a great way to meet people, as well as get to go somewhere you probably wouldn't have gone otherwise. With that being said, I would not fork out $1k for a conference, unless I had the money to do so...which I don't. If you have the money, do it. If you don't, don't put yourself into debt for it. Conferences will not make or break your application.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to bump this thread because I wondered if anyone has submitted abstracts to present at the 2013 MLA in Boston? I see a few different panels/CFPs I could come up with abstracts for, but wondered if it was a good or bad idea to submit for more than one? I assume it's pretty difficult to get accepted to present at MLA, and thought I could maximize my chances by submitting to more than one, but I honestly have no idea if that's smart. Any feedback would be appreciated! :)

I should probably do this...and I'm going to submit more then one too because I feel like, so many panels, different people read the proposals, right?

True. I'm sure if someone gets more than one abstract accepted, they can choose at that point which session they'd like to present on. Abstract deadlines are coming up soon, March 15ish, so I've got to get going on this!

I am on a waitlist right now, and may need to do a second round of apps next year. What are the best sources to learn about upcoming conferences so that I may be able to present at a few, network, and add to my CV?

The UPenn English website has a fantastic CFP component here. I also like H-net.org You can join different listservs based on your area of interest, and there are also calls for publications as well. Professional listservs are also a great way to hear about upcoming conferences or networking opportunities, so I would ask some professors if they have any suggestions. I follow the WPA listserv for rhet/comp, and I'm sure there are other lists with more literature focus.