Bikes for commuting?

Sparky

So I am moving to a place where I can bike to campus 9 months of the year, and I would very much prefer to do so. Can any of you commuter (urban/suburban) bikers out there suggest what is useful/necessary for such a bike? I'm looking less for specific recommendations on a brand-model than general features, as I'm sure I'll end up with whatever one of the local bike shops has in its used stock. Mostly I want not to feel like a COMPLETE loser when I go into the store (only half of one :P).

I do know that I would like to be able to mount a basket on the rear to hold my laptop bag/change of clothing/etc. Also it needs to handle decently in yucky weather--I gather you can buy 'snow tires' or some such for the winter?

Thanks, peoples!

I bike year-round in Toronto, so I'm pretty well-versed in all sorts of the many "joys" of being a commuter cyclist.

Most important element for a commuter bike: fenders. They will save your clothes, and your dignity. Many bikes (especially those marketed to commuters) come with these attached, and most hybrid/commuter-type bikes (which is probably what you're looking for) have sturdy metal fenders which attach to the wheel hub. You can also purchase fenders and attach them yourself, as almost every bike will have attachments. Plastic ones will do you fine 99.9% of the time, and don't add as much extra weight, but they're obviously not as durable as aluminum ones. Rear fenders are more important than front, and many cyclists just opt for the rear. A good fender can mean the difference between riding 9 months of the year, or 12.

As for more general things, you DO NOT want a mountain bike (unless you actually plan to use it for mountain biking). You're likely looking for what some people call "hybrid" or "touring" bikes. These are (as the name implies) a cross between features of a mountain bike (i.e. slightly thicker tires, with deeper tread; more vertical riding position) and those of a road bike. Within this category, your options will most likely have to do with 1) how many gears you want (how many "speeds", in common parlance), 2) what geometry you're comfortable with, and 3) what accessories you need (basket mount, pannier rack, etc.). I'll leave the accessories up to your own discretion, and address the first two.

Gears: general rule of thumb is go for the lowest number of gears that you will need. Extra gears DO NOT equate to a better bike (and if the salesperson tries to tell you otherwise, run screaming from the store because they don't know what they're talking about), extra gears just equal extra unneccessary weight. If the cycling you will be doing is mostly on flat terrain or gently rolling hills, you can likely get away with a fixie or single speed (light, efficient, easier to maintain, etc.). If you'll be encountering a few biggish hills, you'll want to get something that gives you some options for climbing. A good bike store clerk will be able to be more specific with you about this, and if you're interested you can read this article from the always-awesome Sheldon Brown, bike guru.

Geometry: this refers to how the shape of the frame affects your riding position. More "aggressive" geometry involves placing the seat higher and further away relative to the handlebars (which achieves a more crouched/horizontal riding position), while more "relaxed" geometry emphasizes comfort and a more vertical riding position. Most hybrid/touring bikes tend towards the relaxed, but you might want to try a road bike frame or two, just to see which you prefer. Road bike frames can easily be converted into great commuter bikes by changing out the components (tires, drive train, etc.) and adding accessories. I, personally, will always choose a road bike over a hybrid, but that's just me. YMMV.

Thicker tires will help a little in icky conditions, but they're also a little heavier and a LOT slower than road tires, and if you're biking a lot, you'll be surprised how much you begin to notice every extra ounce and every bit of extra drag/friction. Unless you're going to be riding in mud or on unpaved trails, road tires are probably a better bet. I ride year-round on my road tires, through all kinds of weather, but I know lots of people who change their tires seasonally (as you would with a car).

Most important thing: take good care of your bike! Regular maintenance (you can certainly do all but the most obscure of maintenance tasks on your own, with very little difficulty) is essential. Keep your drive train clean, your components lubed, and your tires appropriately inflated, and your bike will be good to you for a very long time. Consider spending a little extra on a quality frame/components (new or used). Bicycles are one of the few remaining areas where you really, honestly do get exactly what you pay for.

Other most important thing: buy a good lock. NOT a chain, NOT a combination lock, but a sturdy, as-thick-as-you-can-afford U-lock (kyrptonite is the go-to brand here). This is the one area where it's worth it to take on a little extra weight.

Final note: consider buying your bike at your LBS, rather than a big chain. The people will be much more knowledgeable, and helpful, and having a good relationship with your local bike mechanic can be a life-saver if you ever find yourself needing a bike-related favour.

Good luck with your purchase. I rode my hybrid for years, and loved it, so much so that I started getting addicted to riding, and got more involved in the athletic aspect of cycling (as opposed to the merely utilitarian). I switched to my first road bike several years ago, and I will never go back. Best investment I've ever made. ;)

Sorry for the length. I heart bicycles.

Enjoy yours!

Edited by DorindaAfterThyrsis

Cosigning the above.

I would, however, advise against a fixie if it's your only bike. I own a fixie, but I also own a roadie (TT/Tri) bike. Fixies are great if you're getting exercise in (you can't coast), don't have many hills (you can't drop down your gear), and the braking system is a bit scary (unless you install handbrakes).

Besides that, just make sure you maintain your bike well. There are plenty of online resources on proper maintenance, or just take it into your local bike shop once a season or so.

Thanks, Dorinda and Behavioral! Y'all are the best!

And Dorinda--there are some really great bike shops here, I'm lucky. My plan is basically to walk into the one that comes with the highest recommendations and say, "Help." But it makes me feel more comfortable to have an idea of minimum requirements in advance, so I can do useful things like not expect "bike fenders" to be some awesome hybrid between a motorcycle and an electric guitar.

You've already gotten some excellent advice. I'd say to make sure you try the bike before you buy it and think about any special needs for your area. For example, you may need thorn resistant tires and tubes if you live in the desert, so that's something to think about when buying a bike.

• 3 weeks later...

Great replies above.

Also don't go into the store and say that you want to spend under $400 because you will look like a noob. Figure on spending $500-700 for something reliable and well made.

Don't get anything that looks too nice. At least around here, most commuting bikes are pretty cruddy-looking, and a notably nice-looking bike will just be a target for thieves. I agree with the recommendations for a hybrid.

Here's another idea: If you have friends that are knowledgeable about bikes (and it's likely at least one person in your new grad dept will be), ask them to go with you when you look. I got a decent commuter bike for $100 via Craig's List with the help of someone more knowledgeable who knew what to look for and ask about (and actually found the bike online for me and went with me when I went to get it).

Here's another idea: If you have friends that are knowledgeable about bikes (and it's likely at least one person in your new grad dept will be), ask them to go with you when you look.

Make sure it's the right kind of knowledgeable, though. My mom and stepdad are nationally competitive cyclists (so certainly very knowledgeable about bikes). If I had them suggest bikes for me, they'd probably all cost $1000+ and be an order of magnitude more fancy than what I needed. :D