Decisions, Decisions

goldielocks

Hi again all. Just thought I'd chime back in here. I'm grappling with a difficult decision myself. When I chose my applications, I mainly looked at programs that had one or two "giants" in my subfield, whose research I really admire. There were really three schools that I was "reaching" for, I thought. Now I'm in the unreal (and I'm not complaining, trust me) situation where I have basically equal offers from two of them. I've been talking with POIs at both places, and now graduate students. Will be visiting them both (within about a week of one another), and I understand them to be very different intellectual cultures. Hopefully that means I'll have a clear preference one way or the other?

I hadn't really considered that this might happen. I'm not complaining, but this is a ridiculous decision. I hadn't thought about how agonizing this part of the process could be. It's a good problem to have, I know, but agonizing all the same.

Hi again all. Just thought I'd chime back in here. I'm grappling with a difficult decision myself. When I chose my applications, I mainly looked at programs that had one or two "giants" in my subfield, whose research I really admire. There were really three schools that I was "reaching" for, I thought. Now I'm in the unreal (and I'm not complaining, trust me) situation where I have basically equal offers from two of them. I've been talking with POIs at both places, and now graduate students. Will be visiting them both (within about a week of one another), and I understand them to be very different intellectual cultures. Hopefully that means I'll have a clear preference one way or the other?

I hadn't really considered that this might happen. I'm not complaining, but this is a ridiculous decision. I hadn't thought about how agonizing this part of the process could be. It's a good problem to have, I know, but agonizing all the same.

coin toss or draw lots ... if it was good enough for the Romans then it's good enough for me

Yeah, I think that's probably the best advice I've received about this so far. ;)

All jokes aside, I think if the schools are that close (in your heart), then you have to start getting a bit shallow. By which I mean, which school puts me in a better position once I'm done. Or which school has a better location, re: family, friends, lovers, enemies, etc. Then again you could also look at each school's undergrad population ranking amongst things like the US News & World stratification. If you TA for schools in the top 25, it doesn't necessarily mean you are one of the best TAs around but it doesn't hurt to throw that bit of cache at simple minded folks (such as me). Now I am speaking as someone whose background isn't in academia so it take it w/a pinch of salt.

coin toss or draw lots ... if it was good enough for the Romans then it's good enough for me

Hahaha I vote trial by combat! If it was good enough for the Frankish Gauls (those medieval barbarians), it's good enough for me! :D Plus who doesn't want to see professors duke it out?

Goldie, Chicago is more exciting than New Jersey. And i speak as someone who spent her childhood years in New Jersey and on the Parkway between Central Jersey and New York City. Then again, you're just minutes away from New York... I think Chicago would be more friendly to a graduate student's budget. :)

As for Seattle, I'm sure that when you do your dissertation research in London, you won't be in shock at all when it comes to weather. ;)

Goldie, Chicago is more exciting than New Jersey. And i speak as someone who spent her childhood years in New Jersey and on the Parkway between Central Jersey and New York City. Then again, you're just minutes away from New York... I think Chicago would be more friendly to a graduate student's budget. :)

As for Seattle, I'm sure that when you do your dissertation research in London, you won't be in shock at all when it comes to weather. ;)

Ahhh these are all good points. Thanks TMP. ;)

Hahaha I vote trial by combat! If it was good enough for the Frankish Gauls (those medieval barbarians), it's good enough for me! :D Plus who doesn't want to see professors duke it out?

Well I'm not a violent man ... BUT if they are evenly matched ... i.e., weight-to-height ratios are the same then in the words of world renowned adjudicator of the sweet science Mills Lane ... "let's get it on!"

Would any of the current students be willing to give a bit of a preview of what goes on at admitted student weekends/events? Like, what kind of opportunities are there to talk to POIs, current students, etc. I'm probably irrationally worried about going and seeming like a complete idiot in front of my POI--am I expected to arrive at the recruitment event ready to talk about potential dissertation topics/etc or is it more of a laid-back situation? Reassurance would be awesome! :)

Yes, I'd be grateful to hear about this too!

I was told that on the first day we will have an informal get-together for my area group first, followed by a larger dinner for the department. Sunday I believe we will be hanging out more with grad students, get a tour, etc.. :)

Okay, longish description of the Princeton days

It's sunday evening, monday, and a good part of tuesday.

Prospective students arrive sunday evening, and there is a open bar with current graduate students in their hotel.

Monday morning they set up breakfest (fruit, bagels, coffee, orange juice, that sort of thing) and have a group meeting with the department chair, DGSs, and Graduate History Association leaders to discuss general details of the program. Than they have a grad students only group meeting with a handful of grad students carefully selected for their represenativeness (an Americanist, a Medievalist, someone not one of those two, someone who is married, someone who is living off campus, someone who is living in the graduate college and someone who is living in one of the princeton apartments...). They try to find four or five people who fit. After that they go to Prospect House (the faculty dining club) for lunch with professors.

After lunch the day becomes unstructured. There are sign ups to meet with basically every faculty member that is not on leave in ten minute blocks, and when not meeting with whoever you want to meet with you can sit in on classes (people walk in and out of them as they go to meetings with professors). There are also opertunities to tour firestone library. That evening they take you out ot a local resteraunt and you have another meal (with alcohol) with professors and a smattering of grad students. After that is over there is another open bar in the prospective students hotel with grad students again.

Tuesday there is breakfest again, this time more social with grad students, and a repeat of the library tours, meeting with professors, sit in on classes option.

I would suspect most visiting weekends are similar minus the three opertunities to get yourself smashed. Which btw, I'd avoid getting too smashed at dinner on monday but sunday night and monday after dinner you are welcome to get buzzed ;)

thanks nat! that sounds a lot like the itineraries i've gotten. when people meet with the professors, what kind of things are typically discussed? do professors see it as an opportunity for them to sell you on the program? or do i need to come in with a spiel and topics prepared to discuss?

thanks nat! that sounds a lot like the itineraries i've gotten. when people meet with the professors, what kind of things are typically discussed? do professors see it as an opportunity for them to sell you on the program? or do i need to come in with a spiel and topics prepared to discuss?

You should view it as a casual discussion. Use the time to explore people in the department that might be interesting to you but aren't nessecarily your PoI. THey'll sell you on the program or you can just talk about your work.

Silly question but what happens to wait listed students since they don't get to go these functions? What if the end up off the waitlist?

If you are taken off the wait list before the weekend I suspect you get to go. If not... well, you just have to make your decisions without visiting.

Remember, YOUR job of selling yourself is DONE. They want YOU.

And try to avoid that imposter syndrome feeling. They can't take away your acceptance now and their only commitment to make sure you succeed if you choose to go with them. Remember, you're qualified and they picked you for a reason.

If you are taken off the wait list before the weekend I suspect you get to go. If not... well, you just have to make your decisions without visiting.

Oh I didn't mean the decision making part ... I meant all the info that is shared at the prospie weekend ... do they give you a packet of all the stuff you missed out on?

Oh I didn't mean the decision making part ... I meant all the info that is shared at the prospie weekend ... do they give you a packet of all the stuff you missed out on?

Not that I know of, I think you would have to ask the kinds of information people got there.

Well if you're choosing between Chicago and Jersey, then it simply comes down to pizza-style preference. I will say that Northwestern's campus is beautiful and in an incredible location, while Rutgers is not necessarily my favorite (if we're nitpicking).

Well if you're choosing between Chicago and Jersey, then it simply comes down to pizza-style preference. I will say that Northwestern's campus is beautiful and in an incredible location, while Rutgers is not necessarily my favorite (if we're nitpicking).

For me, looks like I have no choice except to give up my dear regular crusted, cheesy New York style pizza... :( I'm sure Columbus is a little closer to Chicago.

TMP- I grew up close to Columbus. There is a great foodie culture evolving there. If you like Indian, make sure you check out http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/33/372511/restaurant/North-Side/Udipi-Cafe-Columbus. It's the restaurant I miss most in Columbus and I've met Indian-Americans all over the country who go to Columbus just to eat there. No joke. Also check out the North Market. Enjoy Columbus!

TMP- I grew up close to Columbus. There is a great foodie culture evolving there. If you like Indian, make sure you check out http://www.urbanspoo...-Cafe-Columbus. It's the restaurant I miss most in Columbus and I've met Indian-Americans all over the country who go to Columbus just to eat there. No joke. Also check out the North Market. Enjoy Columbus!

I spent the longest week of my life in Columbus last spring. It's like the Cleveland tourism http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY, but worse :mellow: