Best Programs for Terrorism Studies

trader13

I've researched the various IR departments and have only come up with a few names. It seems that most schools have only one person, or maximum two, working on terrorism.

UT Austin

Maryland

Penn State

Chicago

Berkeley

These schools appear to be solid in this area. Do you know of any others I should add to my list?

I am far from an expert on terrorism, but your list really should include Princeton (Shapiro) and Yale (Lyall, Kalyvas, Wood) as well as Chicago (Bueno de Mesquita, Stanilans) if you are interested in an organizational/strategic perspective on terrorism.

Isn't Bueno de Mesquita at NYU? Also, Robert Pape at UChicago works on terrorism and Wendy Pearlman at Northwestern does a little on terrorism as well.

To be frank, I don't believe I have the background that schools such as Princeton, Yale, or Chicago would be looking for. I will apply nonetheless because I would be a good fit research and interest wise, but I want to have a broad range of schools to apply for. Between 15-35 in ranking would be ideal.

I would like to add one thing: University of Maryland houses START, a government funded research center on terrorism. This should likely stand out after completing a PhD from there correct?

My research interests include state-sponsored terrorism (typical terrorism and cyber as well), non-state actors or groups, roots of terrorism, counter-terrorism policy, religion/logic behind terrorism attacks.

Edit: Comparative studies based on different groups or ideologies in terrorism is also incredibly appealing.

Edited by trader13

My research interests include state-sponsored terrorism (typical terrorism and cyber as well), non-state actors or groups, roots of terrorism, counter-terrorism policy, religion/logic behind terrorism attacks.

Edit: Comparative studies based on different groups or ideologies in terrorism is also incredibly appealing.

so terrorism...(sorry not trying be snarky, but you listed about 80% of what constitutes as terrorism or what you could study).

I'm sorry, maybe I missed the question. These are my general areas of interest in regards to studying terrorism. My research goals are obviously to answer the most difficult questions as it pertains to dealing with these above-stated topics.

For example, what policies are most effective when dealing with a country that sponsors terrorism in their foreign affairs? Which military, diplomatic, etc. policies can be used against it?

Another example regarding counter-terrorism, what would be the blow-back effects of counter terrorism policies that invade US citizen privacy? How to anticipate and mitigate them?

Regarding cyber terrorism, if a state-sponsored terrorism attack occurs via cyber warfare, what are the proper counters or ways of handling these?

These are just examples of what interest me.

Edited by trader13

so terrorism...(sorry not trying be snarky, but you listed about 80% of what constitutes as terrorism or what you could study).

Same here, I am not trying to be a jerk, as coachrjc would say, but what you listed is about the entire discipline of what constitutes the study of terrorism. I would suggest attempting to narrow what you are interested in. For example, I am interested in how non-state actors administer territory in lieu of the state. In order to say which school is best I would look up some of the people at these schools and read their works and see in anything comes across as interesting.

Furthermore, I know you said you have a comparative focus, do you have an idea of where geographically your interests lie?

Also, Penn State has a federally funded research center as well, the International Center for the Study of Terrorism.

Same here, I am not trying to be a jerk, as coachrjc would say, but what you listed is about the entire discipline of what constitutes the study of terrorism. I would suggest attempting to narrow what you are interested in. For example, I am interested in how non-state actors administer territory in lieu of the state. In order to say which school is best I would look up some of the people at these schools and read their works and see in anything comes across as interesting.

Furthermore, I know you said you have a comparative focus, do you have an idea of where geographically your interests lie?

Also, Penn State has a federally funded research center as well, the International Center for the Study of Terrorism.

Yes, my background is the Middle East. My undergraduate degree is in Arabic and I've lived in the Middle East for the past three years. I want to focus on this region.

As for Penn State, I have it on my list because of the ICST center.

Edited by trader13

I'm sorry, maybe I missed the question. These are my general areas of interest in regards to studying terrorism. My research goals are obviously to answer the most difficult questions as it pertains to dealing with these above-stated topics.

For example, what policies are most effective when dealing with a country that sponsors terrorism in their foreign affairs? Would military, diplomatic, etc. policies can used against it?

Another example regarding counter-terrorism, what would be the blow-back effects of counter terrorism policies that invade US citizen privacy? How to anticipate and mitigate them?

Regarding cyber terrorism, if a state-sponsored terrorism attack occurs via cyber warfare, what are the proper counters or ways of handling these?\

Cool. I had a seminar in Terrorism/counter last year (had never done much in the subject) and was facinated and scared out of my mind each week! I ended up doing my seminar paper on US State Department policy on State sponsor surrounding the split of Sudan. Really interesting growing field, good luck!!

Cool. I had a seminar in Terrorism/counter last year (had never done much in the subject) and was facinated and scared out of my mind each week! I ended up doing my seminar paper on US State Department policy on State sponsor surrounding the split of Sudan. Really interesting growing field, good luck!!

Thanks... I'm really in love with this field to be honest. I couldn't imagine studying anything else!

Isn't Bueno de Mesquita at NYU? Also, Robert Pape at UChicago works on terrorism and Wendy Pearlman at Northwestern does a little on terrorism as well.

Unless he's moving this year or something Bueno de Mesquita is definitely at NYU. He was one of my POIs.

His son is at Chicago in the Harris School and does very similar things.

Similar in that it's formal, but it's mostly stuff on terrorism. That's why PH recommended working with him.

Edit: Some really cool papers too. I have little interest in terrorism research, but his paper on suboptimal provision of counterterror was really neat. Some of the other stuff he's written looks neat too, but I haven't read it.

Edited by RWBG

For example, what policies are most effective when dealing with a country that sponsors terrorism in their foreign affairs? Which military, diplomatic, etc. policies can be used against it?

Regarding cyber terrorism, if a state-sponsored terrorism attack occurs via cyber warfare, what are the proper counters or ways of handling these?

Hey! I'm also interested in terrorism, so I definitely understand your fascination. I'm not sure if you'd like my advice, but I'll give you something I think would make you an even better candidate.

As people have said before, your interests seem to encompass almost all aspects of terrorism studies. While that's wonderful that you're interested in a lot of things, putting that in an admissions essay might not be the best idea. Instead, you want to focus on 1 or 2 really specific questions or topics you want to work with in grad school.

I offer this because it's the criticism of my SOP that I heard for the first three drafts. My initial interests went from "Middle Eastern media and how it relates to terrorism" to "the growing Middle Eastern media market's effect on state decision-making in regards to transnational security issues especially terrorist networks". The specificity helps to set you apart from the other 400 people applying for your spot.

I know that advice was hammered into me by my advisors, and I think it really helped my application.

Hey! I'm also interested in terrorism, so I definitely understand your fascination. I'm not sure if you'd like my advice, but I'll give you something I think would make you an even better candidate.

As people have said before, your interests seem to encompass almost all aspects of terrorism studies. While that's wonderful that you're interested in a lot of things, putting that in an admissions essay might not be the best idea. Instead, you want to focus on 1 or 2 really specific questions or topics you want to work with in grad school.

I offer this because it's the criticism of my SOP that I heard for the first three drafts. My initial interests went from "Middle Eastern media and how it relates to terrorism" to "the growing Middle Eastern media market's effect on state decision-making in regards to transnational security issues especially terrorist networks". The specificity helps to set you apart from the other 400 people applying for your spot.

I know that advice was hammered into me by my advisors, and I think it really helped my application.

Great advice! I'd add this to the thread I made earlier :)

Don't forget the team at the Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence at the University of St Andrews (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~cstpv/).

They run the Certificate in Terrorism Studies (www.terrorismstudies.com) and a Postgraduate Diploma / MLitt in Terrorism. The Certificate course provides a great introduction to the whole topic, with a wide range of optional modules all delivered over the internet.

They are one of the best thought of groups of terorrism scholars, with staff details at http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~cstpv/staff/staff.html.

Chris

Don't forget the team at the Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence at the University of St Andrews (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~cstpv/).

They run the Certificate in Terrorism Studies (www.terrorismstudies.com) and a Postgraduate Diploma / MLitt in Terrorism. The Certificate course provides a great introduction to the whole topic, with a wide range of optional modules all delivered over the internet.

They are one of the best thought of groups of terorrism scholars, with staff details at http://www.st-andrew...taff/staff.html.

Chris

I second the St. Andrews suggestion if you're interested in a Masters. If you're going PhD, though, and the endgame is for a tenure track job, you'd be best served just applying straight to US schools, I think. What you'd gain from taking the year to get an MLitt is really dependent on your undergraduate record, and financial aid is tough to come by.