Boston University

Got my official rejection this morning, but they are interested in offering me a position in their unfunded MA program. I'm still waiting on one possible program, though I have very little hope of an acceptance, and so I'm actually considering accepting their offer. Does anyone know how that works as far as loans? I certainly do not have $41,000 to shell out. Also, has anyone had a similar experience? Is it worth it to go for my MA and hopefully have more clout in my PhD apps for next year? I could really use some advice.

FAFSA, baby, FAFSA.

FAFSA, baby, FAFSA.

I filled it out, but isn't the school supposed to notify me of my loan eligibility? Do I have to wait until I enroll to find out how much they'll give me in loans? Because I certainly can't afford to make that decision before I know if I can get loans.

If you're in, you can take out the loans; they're federally guaranteed as long as you don't have a high personal income.

There's two tiers. There were three, but Congress got rid of subsidized Staffords, sorry to say, as of this coming fall semester. Generally, you can take up to $20,500 in Stafford unsubsidized loans per year. (Previously, you could take up to $8500 subsidized and $12000 unsubsidized.) Beyond that, you can take Graduate PLUS loans. PLUS loans are determined by a cost of attendance and living determined by the university. They'll offer an official estimate, then you subtract all the aid your getting (including the Stafford loans) from that amount. You can then borrow up to the difference between those figures. At most schools, the estimates are quite generous; I could have taken something like $20,000 above my tuition at my master's program.

Speaking as someone who will be paying off student loans for the rest of his life, do everything you can to minimize the amount of loans you take.

Edited by ComeBackZinc

If you're in, you can take out the loans; they're federally guaranteed as long as you don't have a high personal income.

There's two tiers. There were three, but Congress got rid of subsidized Staffords, sorry to say, as of this coming fall semester. Generally, you can take up to $20,500 in Stafford unsubsidized loans per year. (Previously, you could take up to $8500 subsidized and $12000 unsubsidized.) Beyond that, you can take Graduate PLUS loans. PLUS loans are determined by a cost of attendance and living determined by the university. They'll offer an official estimate, then you subtract all the aid your getting (including the Stafford loans) from that amount. You can then borrow up to the difference between those figures. At most schools, the estimates are quite generous; I could have taken something like $20,000 above my tuition at my master's program.

Speaking as someone who will be paying off student loans for the rest of his life, do everything you can to minimize the amount of loans you take.

Thank you for this information, it's very helpful! Especially knowing that subsidized loans are no longer an option. Do you happen to know, by any chance, whether I can use the PLUS loans to pay the interest on the unsubsidized loans? I don't know how else I'll come up with $1200 a month to pay off that interest.

Thank you for this information, it's very helpful! Especially knowing that subsidized loans are no longer an option. Do you happen to know, by any chance, whether I can use the PLUS loans to pay the interest on the unsubsidized loans? I don't know how else I'll come up with $1200 a month to pay off that interest.

Well, you don't HAVE to pay off the interest every month. Just if you don't it will capitalize.

Well, you don't HAVE to pay off the interest every month. Just if you don't it will capitalize.

That sounds scary. This whole thing is scary. If it doesn't pay off, I will have royally screwed up my credit for life for absolutely no reason.

Remember, your loan payments are automatically deferred if you're in school, so you don't have to pay them down at all while you go. Anyway, using PLUS loans to pay off Stafford loans would be an exercise in futility because the interest rate is higher on the PLUS loans than on the Stafford loans. (I think.)

One thing I would recommend to anyone who's considering going to an unfunded MA (I did for my first year, for context) is to email the grad secretary or grad director and ask whether there's a realistic chance that you can find funding for the second year. They'll probably be upfront with you.

Well, that's something at least... I'll never be able to find the funding though.

Man, I wish I knew then what I knew now. I would have done so many things differently, and potentially not been 0/10 with only four more to report. At the very least, I think I know what the problem with my app is now. My writing sample, though my highest graded piece of work in my Masters, was also the first piece of work - and therefore does not adequately show the direction that my studies were taking by the time I wrote my SoP. I sort of wish I'd submitted my piece about masculinity in Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy; that thing had modern psychiatric studies of gulf war veterans, historical and contemporary studies of trauma, and even some modern sociological research.

Ah well! We live and learn. I'll just submit it next year (if I can save up the cash to apply again!).

Is anyone else on here who was accepted into the terminal MA program considering attending? I was just looking at their course offerings, and I'm actually getting pretty excited. I'm still waiting on Northeastern's PhD program, but I'm preparing for another rejection there.

Is anyone else on here who was accepted into the terminal MA program considering attending? I was just looking at their course offerings, and I'm actually getting pretty excited. I'm still waiting on Northeastern's PhD program, but I'm preparing for another rejection there.

I was accepted to the MA/PhD program, and as of now, I think I'm leaning towards attending. I would be with you in the MA, as they require you to complete the MA before moving on, so I would potentially be in class with you B)

I too am pretty excited about their course offerings. I'm going to visit March 8th, so hopefully I'll have a better sense of the department after that.

Edited by Stately Plump

Nice! I'm planning a trip out there to visit my fiance at the end of May, so I think I'll try to set up a meeting. Four courses per semester for the MA though. It's going to be intense!

Congrats on your acceptance, by the way!!

Hi Silent G! I was accepted into the terminal MA program and I am thinking about attending! This is my first time posting to one of these boards...but I would love to chat with you about your interests/goals! The price tag is pretty high, but I have no debt from undergrad and think the MA program will really help me for PhD apps next time around!

I too am pretty excited about their course offerings. I'm going to visit March 8th, so hopefully I'll have a better sense of the department after that.

I've more of a lurker but I'm also starting the MA/PhD in BU. Stately plump, are you sure the open day is on March 8th? My acceptance letter said that its on March 23rd and you have to RSVP by March 8th. It would be rather annoying to come to Boston on the wrong day!

Anyway, hopefully I'll see you there :-)

Hi Silent G! I was accepted into the terminal MA program and I am thinking about attending! This is my first time posting to one of these boards...but I would love to chat with you about your interests/goals! The price tag is pretty high, but I have no debt from undergrad and think the MA program will really help me for PhD apps next time around!

My thoughts exactly! My broad research interests include gender and sexuality studies, and postcolonial literature. More specifically, I'm currently interested in examining the transformation of literary representations of gender and sexuality between the late 19th and early 20th centuries in British and American literature. What are your interests? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. :)

I've more of a lurker but I'm also starting the MA/PhD in BU. Stately plump, are you sure the open day is on March 8th? My acceptance letter said that its on March 23rd and you have to RSVP by March 8th. It would be rather annoying to come to Boston on the wrong day!

Anyway, hopefully I'll see you there :-)

The open house is indeed the 23rd. I won't be able to make it then, so I emailed them to see if they could work something else out, so I'm going on the 8th instead.

I'm sad that I won't get to meet other potential future classmates, though :(

Just looked over the Spring 2012 course offerings and they are so fantastic. I'm dying to get off the waitlist, so if you have a better offer somewhere else (esp if your focus is British Romanticism and/or Modernism) please do me a favor :).

Would you go to BU over CUNY? And if so, any reasons in particular?

Would you go to BU over CUNY? And if so, any reasons in particular?

Yes I would.

I really like CUNY and was overjoyed to be accepted but I think BU is stronger in British Romanticism, my projected focus.

Also the funding at CUNY is not great, especially for out of state students who have to pay the difference in the tuition cost as their tuition remission only covers the in state cost.

But if I end up with no other options I will try to find a way to make it work...

Edited by portlandfioretti